PDA

View Full Version : Amisk Lake Walleye ???

llmitch
03-30-2009, 04:18 PM
I have fished this lake for the past 20 years as we have a lot in the trailer park at the East end. Perch fishing used to be awsome up until the walleye catch and release program started I think in 1996. We used to catch the odd walleye while perch fihing but the last 4 or 5 years, very few perch are caught and most are very small. At any time of the day, I can go and fish off the main dock and almost guarantee that I will catch at least 10 walleye in less than an hour. The lake is well policed as I have been stopped many times which I don't mind as at least they are doing what they are getting paid for. Each time I ask the warden or officer when they are going to open the lake again and no one seems to know. I explain to them that the walleye are eating the perch and they agree but don't seem to care. Just one a day would be great or even a special tag situation. Nearby Skeleton Lake is the same way, lots of walleye but very few perch.

happy perch fisher
03-30-2009, 06:32 PM
It takes alot of time and money to set up the tag system on a lake. So it probably won't happen for a long time. Opening up for 1 limit would just destroy the walleye population. Even if they did destroy the walleye population it would take forever for the perch to come back.

Mish
03-30-2009, 06:38 PM
I explain to them that the walleye are eating the perch and they agree but don't seem to care.

There's only so much a fish cop can do. I don't think it's fair to say that they don't care. I encourage you to write a letter to the SRD if you are really concerned.

It takes alot of time and money to set up the tag system on a lake. So it probably won't happen for a long time. Opening up for 1 limit would just destroy the walleye population. Even if they did destroy the walleye population it would take forever for the perch to come back.

I thought perch were pretty prolific?

happy perch fisher
03-30-2009, 06:45 PM
There's only so much a fish cop can do. I don't think it's fair to say that they don't care. I encourage you to write a letter to the SRD if you are really concerned.

I thought perch were pretty prolific?

They are but only a certian age group of walleye will be removed. There will still be a good amount of walleyes in there. If the perch could'nt make it when they outnumbered the walleye by alot. Its almost impossible for them to make a comeback when the walleye out number them.

Mish
03-30-2009, 06:51 PM
They are but only a certian age group of walleye will be removed. There will still be a good amount of walleyes in there. If the perch could'nt make it when they outnumbered the walleye by alot. Its almost impossible for them to make a comeback when the walleye out number them.

Ah, I see. I thought by destroy the walleye population, you meant to remove them from the lake all together. Either way, I always thought perch were prolific enough to decimate walleye populations. Learn something new everyday!

goober
03-30-2009, 06:54 PM

Be prepared if writing letters to SRD!!! People have been writing letters to SRD for years now regarding the Walleye in Lake Isle and they are doing nothing about it!!!

pdfish
03-30-2009, 06:57 PM
Be prepared if writing letters to SRD!!! People have been writing letters to SRD for years now regarding the Walleye in Lake Isle and they are doing nothing about it!!!

I believe some people at Lake Isle have been taking matters into their own hands for a while now. ;)

goober
03-30-2009, 07:07 PM
I believe some people at Lake Isle have been taking matters into their own hands for a while now. ;)

I agree 100% but the lake still needs the help of SRD. The poachers on the lake do not even come close to controlling the absurdly out of control Walleye population in the lake. They did a fantastic job bringing the levels of Walleye up in the lake but when will it be enough?

pdfish
03-30-2009, 07:10 PM
I agree 100% but the lake still needs the help of SRD. The poachers on the lake do not even come close to controlling the absurdly out of control Walleye population in the lake. They did a fantastic job bringing the levels of Walleye up in the lake but when will it be enough?

I couldn't have said it better myself, except I woulda replaced the word 'poachers' with 'stewards'.:evilgrin:

packhuntr
03-30-2009, 07:23 PM
You ask , When will it be enough?? Goober. I think you ought to ask the folks who have apparently taken matters into their own hands and are on a walleye destruction/harvest spree. I wont say I agree with managing for one species, because I dont, but with so many anglers/poachers out there that only desire to fill the freezer, it makes it mighty tough to manage fisheries with any other goal in mind except to produce sheer numbers of fish,,,, now doesnt it?? Take Crawling Valley as a prime example,,, looks to be alot like the situation you fellas are describing. In afew years poachers have eliminated an estimated 40% of the walleye biomass in the lake. So much for having a limited harvest for all to enjoy,,, it isnt going to happen now. Maybe you guys ought to get a handle on your "boys" up there before they really f*** things up,,, you dont want things worse than they already are, but then again,,,, ask your boys, the self proclaimed area biologists, maybe a monster mess is what they desire.

goober
03-31-2009, 05:00 AM
You ask , When will it be enough?? Goober. I think you ought to ask the folks who have apparently taken matters into their own hands and are on a walleye destruction/harvest spree. I wont say I agree with managing for one species, because I dont, but with so many anglers/poachers out there that only desire to fill the freezer, it makes it mighty tough to manage fisheries with any other goal in mind except to produce sheer numbers of fish,,,, now doesnt it?? Take Crawling Valley as a prime example,,, looks to be alot like the situation you fellas are describing. In afew years poachers have eliminated an estimated 40% of the walleye biomass in the lake. So much for having a limited harvest for all to enjoy,,, it isnt going to happen now. Maybe you guys ought to get a handle on your "boys" up there before they really f*** things up,,, you dont want things worse than they already are, but then again,,,, ask your boys, the self proclaimed area biologists, maybe a monster mess is what they desire.

What can be done with these lakes then?

The SRD and such folks did an outstanding job bringing the number of Walleye up in our province and I commend them for that. The process needs to take the next step now. What should this next step be? Does the number of poachers and meat fishers really out number the everyday fisherman to a point that would mean total devastation to a lake? I just think that most of these lakes that have had a huge increase in Walleye numbers over the past few years are being destroyed as we speak by the Walleye themselves. There is now an unhealthy amount of these fish in a lot of these lakes.

packhuntr
03-31-2009, 06:43 AM
I dont disagree with you Goober. You are right, and I think we all agree with you. One thing I cant agree with is folks (no need naming anyone here, they have taken the liberty to show themselves, wink, wink,) who feel they need to poach these fish. I dont think it matters what their motives might be, wether its due to the stunting of the lake or not, no one has the right to steal from the rest of us. Is it unfortunate that by the time the lake gets a biologist or two it is turned upside down due to lack of funding and management,,, I think so. Running amok poaching and preaching that one is saving the lake is not the answer. I have a deep seated love for our pike and the lakes that have them, this lack of management has done the exact same things to these fish, overharvest, managing for a different species etc have taken their toll on these big preds. We will never see pike fisheries healthy and seemingly untouched (due to proper management) ever again in the southern half of the province. Id love to go out and start killing some sub legal pike in afew lakes, but one cant, it is poaching. In the end, all one can do is shut up, enjoy the fishing we have right now, because it is never going to be better, and pray there is something for our children to enjoy (and I dont mean eat) thats what started this whole f***** up mess in the first place. Alberta's small and very few fisheries cant sustain our dumb azzes no matter how many people think they can.

Guy Incognito
03-31-2009, 08:00 AM
Well said Packhuntr.

happy perch fisher
03-31-2009, 09:13 AM
I dont disagree with you Goober. You are right, and I think we all agree with you. One thing I cant agree with is folks (no need naming anyone here, they have taken the liberty to show themselves, wink, wink,) who feel they need to poach these fish. I dont think it matters what their motives might be, wether its due to the stunting of the lake or not, no one has the right to steal from the rest of us. Is it unfortunate that by the time the lake gets a biologist or two it is turned upside down due to lack of funding and management,,, I think so. Running amok poaching and preaching that one is saving the lake is not the answer. I have a deep seated love for our pike and the lakes that have them, this lack of management has done the exact same things to these fish, overharvest, managing for a different species etc have taken their toll on these big preds. We will never see pike fisheries healthy and seemingly untouched (due to proper management) ever again in the southern half of the province. Id love to go out and start killing some sub legal pike in afew lakes, but one cant, it is poaching. In the end, all one can do is shut up, enjoy the fishing we have right now, because it is never going to be better, and pray there is something for our children to enjoy (and I dont mean eat) thats what started this whole f***** up mess in the first place. Alberta's small and very few fisheries cant sustain our dumb azzes no matter how many people think they can.

x2

Diggerlloyd
08-17-2010, 06:39 PM
Does anyone know were it is possible to catch a few perch

lake side
08-17-2010, 08:59 PM
Nearby Skeleton Lake is the same way, lots of walleye but very few perch.[/QUOTE]

X2
I have a place at Skeleton and have fished it for aprx 16 years and have never seen the perch this small or nonexsistant.:mad0100:

Kim473
08-18-2010, 06:21 AM
Amisk is Tags now. X2 on the perch. Notice they dont even stock perch anymore. Calling Lake you cant keep the eyes off your hook and dont even get one bite from a pike in 10 hours. The fish cops are just following the rules like us, they dont make the regs, just some fat as**** that have not even been to a lake, that make them.

seahawkfisher
08-18-2010, 07:21 AM
we have been finding decent perch in north buck this year
cheers

wildman
08-18-2010, 08:36 AM
hey LL.
welcome to alberta.
every perch lake in the province is this way now.
even the once awesome lesser slave is now overrun with stunted 40cm walleyes.
fish any lake within 2 hrs of edmonton and you'll find the same story....