PDA

View Full Version : Idiot on the Ice...

HerdBull
03-30-2009, 08:20 PM
So I took my 5 year old Ice Fishing today to our favourite honey hole for Pike. We had the whole lake to ourselves...till Dudley DoDumb showed up.

He walked halfway across the empty, deserted lake and set up 30 yards from us. Not a big deal for me, I like to BS with other fellas, and have met some of my fishin buddies this way.

My son and I had 4 lines down. 2 tip ups and 2 rods.

Eventually he came walkin over to say hi. One of the first things outta his mouth (after he found out what we were using....we were catching fish, he wasn't) was "Do you really think you need that many lines out?" I replied "I do... the boy has a tip up and a rod, and I have a tip-up and a rod. We're allowed a maximum of 2 lines each, there's 2 of us, so we're all good". So he says " I don't think they consider a little guy an angler, his rods are supposed to be part of your maximum."

"No I said, they're not. I've researched the legalities surrounding this, have spoken to Fish and Wildlife officers regarding this, and have been checked MANY times by Fish and Wildlife officers while fishing with the boy, with 2 of his own rods. Its just fine".

"Well I don't think it is" he says. It was about then I noticed that between him and his wife they just happened to have 2 tip ups and 2 rods. "So whats the difference between my boy having 2 rods to himself, and your Mother having 2 for herself" I asked him. (His wife was waaay older than him, and I like to push jerks buttons lol).

"The difference" he says "is that MY WIFE is capable of looking after 2 rods by herself. You're son is not."

At this point I can feel my blood boiling a little, so I told him just to F off and mind his own business, but he persisted. "How about I make a call to the Fish Cops and see what they have to say about it?" he says. I recited the Report a Poacher 1-800 number for him and again told him to F off.

Finally he wandered back to his own holes, and I watched him make a point of making a call on his cell phone. A few minutes later he comes back and says "This is your last warning :rolleyes:, reel up 2 lines or I will call this in." :lol::lol:

I told him again to F off and added that he really.. desperatley needed an attitude adjustment.

"Oh, well lets add a death threat to the list on infractions today" he says.

At this point, I can't take any more of this dipstick, and sorta lost it. "Get the ^$#$ away from me and my holes" I hollered at him. Cussing and swearing all the way he wandered back to his gear, and again made a point of talking on his cell phone.

We moved a few hundred yards away, and I waited with baited breath for F&W to show up, but they never did :cry: .

On the way home I phoned the local office and had a talk with an officer...who just by pure chance had received a complaint from a guy on the same lake, complaining about a man and his son, fishing with AS MANY AS 8 :lol: lines through the ice, and appeared to have many fish under the legal limit :lol::lol::lol: .

I asked the officer if he would like me to drop in on my way through...as I only had 4 lines in the van with me, but he declined. I left him my contact info. just in case.

What a way to turn a real nice day of fishing with the boy around :mad2: :lol:

Shmag
03-30-2009, 08:46 PM
What a terrible incident, i hope you explained to your boy that there is good and bad out there and hope it didn't ruin his day on the ice.

I have a 4yr old and he has been fishing with me since he was 2yrs old and he can manage rod's no problem, even better than me sometime's.

Well if you didn't punch this guy, you are a bigger man than i

barbless
03-30-2009, 08:51 PM
Just a thought but it seems to me that the tool that showed up on the lake had just accomplished what he set out to do. It would appear you were too close to his favorite fish'n spot and the only way to get you to move was to get close and pi$$ you off enough to get you to move. To him it was a success cause he ended up with tha spot.

SNAPFisher
03-30-2009, 08:51 PM
Wow. That is a tough read. The quality of the other person, or lack of quality, is pretty astounding. Kid hater maybe? Just no excuse for that.

Rob
03-30-2009, 08:52 PM
From another Dad, good on ya! I would have dialed the poacher police myself.

Cheers

Duck Hunt
03-30-2009, 09:05 PM
What kind of vehicle was this fella driving?

huntinstuff
03-30-2009, 09:34 PM
If you see him again call me on my cell. I have an auger that cuts 42" holes. I will make sure he never shows up at another one of your son's fishing trips again;)

I live for stuff like that.

FisherAlex
03-30-2009, 09:43 PM
Well me and duck were fishin at the lake on saturday and some jackwad had the whole flippin lake to drive around us, but what does he do? Drives through our tip ups and right by the shack, within 10feet. Gotta wonder what runs through some peoples heads. :confused: :rolleye2:

barbless
03-30-2009, 09:47 PM
Sure seems like not much goes through their heads cause I think there is too much space for rent in there.

fishinguy99
03-30-2009, 10:47 PM
can you guys stop acting like a bunch of babies. You guys sound like a bunch of two year olds arguing over nothing. I have had about enough of reading reports that just get ruined by you imature people.

edit: this post is in reference to deleted posts, but I left it because its how a lot of members feel, and you know who its in reference too. lilsundance.

FisherAlex
03-30-2009, 10:56 PM
And why against someones family?

BBJTKLE&FISHINGADVENTURES
03-31-2009, 12:27 AM
I hinse some jealousy that the youngster out fished him . I hope they get ahold of the fella for filing a false complaint.

tbosch
03-31-2009, 06:32 AM
If you see him again call me on my cell. I have an auger that cuts 42" holes. I will make sure he never shows up at another one of your son's fishing trips again;)

I live for stuff like that.

Make sure you call me too. I just want to see huntin run his 42" auger....Should be interesting. :lol:

Oh and good self control for not giving buddy a couple smacks in the lips. I know guys like that. They just live to **** other people off. The sad thing is you probably made his day.

merk1
03-31-2009, 07:07 AM
There's one in every crowd! Your son is most likely more mature than him, I don't think I could have held myself back like you did, good for you.

Sbrooks
03-31-2009, 08:05 AM
You should have phoned the cops on him for harassment!

HerdBull
03-31-2009, 09:00 AM
can you guys stop acting like a bunch of babies. You guys sound like a bunch of two year olds arguing over nothing. I have had about enough of reading reports that just get ruined by you imature people.

edit: this post is in reference to deleted posts, but I left it because its how a lot of members feel, and you know who its in reference too. lilsundance.

Did I miss something here?

BuckHunterNB
03-31-2009, 09:14 AM
Sounds like some of the A-holes up on the Miramichi river here in New Brunswick.

Love the Mother comment! LOL!!!

Scott

HerdBull
03-31-2009, 09:54 AM
Ya...that got his goat lol. In hindsight though, it was a bit below the belt lol.

sco22
03-31-2009, 10:08 AM
That is a crappy thing to happen on a nice day fishing with the boy. I am sorry about that.

However, I have also been on the other side of that problem. I was at Touchwood Lake when an older couple (easlily in their later 60's) came in with 4 monster jacks - all over 15 pounds.

This is the same couple that came in 2 weekends before with some nice walleye claiming that they hiked 7 km to Spencer and caught them there. I asked if they used the beaver dam to get over the small lake that formed about a km from the lake and they said yes. There is no beaver dam. . .Nonetheless, pretty tough to prove.

Anyhow, back to the original story. They had 4 big pike and just the two of them. I asked who else was in the boat and they said their grandkids. Cool, where were they now? Out of the campgroung comes the mother holding a 6 month old (max) and the 2-3 year old sister. Now my girls caught their first fish at about 4 years old (the biggest walleye that day too - 6 pounds on the East side of Slave Lake - sorry, a little Daddy pride there), but a 3 year old pulling in a 20 pound pike?

So by chance F&W patrol that lake quite often and around the corner comes a beautiful white truck. The officer gets out, and the husband starts swearing. I don't even have to start telling the story and the officer is already starting on the citation. Apparently this couple have been caught several times. I saw them one more time that summer and not again since then.

I do not doubt your boy's ability to land a fish, particularly in winter. Hopefully you still enjoyed the rest of the day and many, many more in the futrue. However, this rule gets abused too.

Cheers.

Bighorn madness
03-31-2009, 10:08 AM
maybe he Didnt like you :ashamed: Just kidding sounds like you did good telling him where to go must of wanted your fishing spot.

fishinguy99 can you guys stop acting like a bunch of babies. You guys sound like a bunch of two year olds arguing over nothing. I have had about enough of reading reports that just get ruined by you imature people.
HerdBull

maybe and i am just saying maybe that was fishinguy99 on the ice herdbull {"Just guessing"}

italk2u
03-31-2009, 02:41 PM
I hope herdbull was exagerrating for effect about the type of language he says he was using in front of his kid.
I don't mean to sound sanctimonious or anything, but using the f-word as many times as he says he did in front of his youngster is not the best example to set for treating other people around you.
Sure the other guy was being a jerk, but no need to bring yourself down to his level.Sorry to hijack the thread, but it was just a thought.

jts1
03-31-2009, 02:53 PM
Oh man here we go. I aint going near this one

DAVE
03-31-2009, 03:27 PM
i hope herdbull was exagerrating for effect about the type of language he says he was using in front of his kid.
I don't mean to sound sanctimonious or anything, but using the f-word as many times as he says he did in front of his youngster is not the best example to set for treating other people around you.
Sure the other guy was being a jerk, but no need to bring yourself down to his level.sorry to hijack the thread, but it was just a thought.

?

03-31-2009, 03:32 PM
I hope herdbull was exagerrating for effect about the type of language he says he was using in front of his kid.
Sure the other guy was being a jerk, but no need to bring yourself down to his level.Sorry to hijack the thread, but it was just a thought.

I think kids knowing and dropping an F bomb is the least of the worries in this day in age in kids growing up . Look at them kids just last week DEAD as they were offered candy turned out being Ecstasy and killed them ......

Guy Incognito
03-31-2009, 03:33 PM

Someone must have said something inflammatory which resulted in a few posts to be deleted, I’m guessing.

I must admit I’m curious as to what transpired though………

Mish
03-31-2009, 04:34 PM

x2.

I always watch my language around my nephew, no matter how much I would love to swear at people sometimes. There's ways to express yourself, especially in front of children, that don't end up making you look like a mindless potty mouth that can't control your own temper.

I think kids knowing and dropping an F bomb is the least of the worries in this day in age in kids growing up . Look at them kids just last week DEAD as they were offered candy turned out being Ecstasy and killed them ......

So...swearing in front of my 5 year old nephew is okay, but having a cold beer while fishing with adults is not.

thundergrey
03-31-2009, 04:47 PM

offtopic, but...

if you think that they actually thought it was candy you need to get out more.... "kids" arnt as dumb as some would like to think. Tragic, yes it was. Did they know it was drugs, YES. thats another topic though...

gramps73
03-31-2009, 04:54 PM
Sorry to hear about your good day turned bad, I hope you child knows that not all fisher people are like that. I would have called the FW on that guy.
Gramps

PlayDoh
03-31-2009, 05:27 PM
Been there before, yet now I try to ignore them. Its good for your health too. In all seriousness though, Anger Management is a great tool to let A-holes slide, and not get so worked up over something as trivial as Joe Blow's misguided concern.

Trust me, I've almost shored the boat and knocked some guys teeth in all because I over-reacted to his rudeness. I think for your sons sake, cursing aside, you could have made a better example of how to handle yourself.

Don't get me wrong, sometimes telling a jerk to F-off is the right thing to do, especially since he was persistent, and had no right to tell you how to fish. Even if you had 8 lines and a wheel-barrow full of fish, he has no right to confront you.

People forget that a lot now a days, and everyone wants to be a Hero/renta-cop, but calling F&W is really your only 'Right'. My morals would force me to take action if I seen someone poaching, but getting in someones face about it wouldn't be one of the actions.

Forgiving *****holes is one of the toughest things to do at times, but like someone said above, you really only sink to their level when you engage them and let it stress you. Best thing to do is not let them rent space in your head, and forget the entire fiasco and focus more on the good parts of your trip(s).

Tight Lines, and Cool heads to ya.

jts1
03-31-2009, 05:45 PM
"Cant we all just get along"

RandyBoBandy
03-31-2009, 05:50 PM
there is an IGNORE feature on this site...go to your settings and plunk in the name...voila..you don't have to see anymore posts from someone you don't agree with..:wave:

PS: if yer gonna ride my *****...at least pull my hair!!

diamond k
03-31-2009, 05:52 PM
I just want to buy john a spell check system

03-31-2009, 05:57 PM
I just want to buy john a spell check system

Oh yeah I have a spell check button , LOL Thanks to the Google Tool bar I downloaded look at some of my horribly spelt posts from last year compared to now , i just need me a thesaurus .

BrownBear416
03-31-2009, 06:02 PM

Maybe he told his son.."EARMUFFS".:evilgrin:

Albertadiver
03-31-2009, 06:26 PM
BBJ - Mish, I think you both have a lot to offer the site, but if you have a dissagreement, take it to the PM's.

Some were asking what they missed, there were a few posts involving a certain person here that boiled down to a fairly uncalled for attack.

Lil' deleted the posts because of the content.

Since this thread went so off the rails, I'd imagine that it'll get locked anyhow.

Mish
03-31-2009, 06:33 PM
BBJ - Mish, I think you both have a lot to offer the site, but if you have a dissagreement, take it to the PM's.

Some were asking what they missed, there were a few posts involving a certain person here that boiled down to a fairly uncalled for attack.

Since this thread went so off the rails, I'd imagine that it'll get locked anyhow.

Well, let Lil' delete my post, no matter how rude and aggressive BBJ is, I should never have made fun of his weight.

lilsundance
03-31-2009, 06:35 PM

I am not going to lock it as the offending posts have been deleted. However personal conflicts have no place on the board and it really detracts from not only the board but topic at hand.

CANADIANWOMAN
07-03-2009, 11:19 PM
"Cant we all just get along"

I think it's really easy to say that but, I would become defensive with my child at my side and a stranger acting agressivley in the middle of a baren lake and I do believe it was agression for him to continue to come over nosing arround. If he felt something was not rite he should have done the rite thingm made the call and be done with it.
:wave:

floppychicken
07-04-2009, 03:05 AM
I dunno,.... on occassion there are people who 'just don't get it'.

A good number of years ago I knew a person who took great satisfaction in 'hurting people' (mostly for money, sometimes for fun..) This very intense person had a particularly simple philosophy regarding his 'night job' that went something like this....;

"When I need to 'hurt someone', I either do it in front of witnesses or I do it in a 'private setting'. The difference between the two is that the 'Public setting' allows me to 'make an example' of 'that' individual whereas the 'Private Setting' allows me to 'teach them a lesson' and of course deliver a 'personal message' should there be one...."

On one hand I think it was VERY fortunate for 'Mr. X' that he didn't meet someone with 'Less Patience' or of a different demeanor than that of Mr. Herdbull. On the other hand, having been 'taught a lesson' (receiving a tremendous beating for being a Giant azzhole) for many, is very humbling and can even be a 'life changing event' !

Seeing as how there was no-one around to Witness the 'event. Would 'Mr. X' have been better off had he tried to pull such an event with someone similar to my former acquaintance ?

I guess we'll never know.....

/FC....

Cal
07-04-2009, 01:46 PM
Whats with people dragging up dead threads lately? Is there not enough crap to fight over without digging up old arguments?

floppychicken
07-04-2009, 03:37 PM
Whats with people dragging up dead threads lately? Is there not enough crap to fight over without digging up old arguments?

Yes.... This thread is indeed old.

However, It may be a great way to 'prep' everyone for the 'BARRAGE' of comments that are sure to come from members as the weather actually 'does' get warmer. The Sea-Doo's and other 'fun boats' will start infiltrating the Lakes and Reservoirs 'en masse' and ****ing off everyone soon enough. I've already started to collect a whack of bearings and marbles for the new slingshot ! Man, I can't wait for all the 'trouble-makers this year ! And there's bound to be TONS of them tearing around seeing as how they need to be licensed come September ! :D

Should be Fun, let the games begin ! :lol:

/FC...

MikeSpike
07-04-2009, 05:04 PM
[QUOTE=floppychicken;344920]I dunno,.... on occassion there are people who 'just don't get it'.

On one hand I think it was VERY fortunate for 'Mr. X' that he didn't meet someone with 'Less Patience' or of a different demeanor than that of Mr. Herdbull. On the other hand, having been 'taught a lesson' (receiving a tremendous beating for being a Giant azzhole) for many, is very humbling and can even be a 'life changing event' !

Seeing as how there was no-one around to Witness the 'event. Would 'Mr. X' have been better off had he tried to pull such an event with someone similar to my former acquaintance ?

QUOTE]

And the reason they "just don't get it" is that they have not received their lesson or had it updated in a long while. There are too many @$$h0le$ like this guy and they seem to be propagating and become more brazen.

"If you have light, let other light their candle at it." and he should have definitely lit this guys candle. As for the kids, they need concrete examples of what happens when you think you can let your mouth run off and get into other peoples face and business.

As your post talks about patience, I WAS a very patient type of guy, but I found that the more patient or ingoring of, the more your long term internal temperature rises. Also most events tend to only go from not good to bad to worse with the @$$h0le getting braver, maybe even enlisting other a22l2des to help his side. They get to thinking they can do this all over the place and feel righteous when you exit to avoid the conflict (like moving ice holes).

I have over the last few years developed a new policy - If they are brazen enough to yap at me or get in my face or stick their nose in my business then they need a lesson and because not everyone can give them one, I will (and make up for the missed ones). I will also no longer wait while the issue escalates - just go to the very end of it right away and save my breath.

So your right they are lucky, but they are banking on probability that most people avoid conflict and avoid the physical confrontation. Long term it a very bad gamble.

tbiddy
07-04-2009, 06:46 PM
[QUOTE=floppychicken;344920]I dunno,.... on occassion there are people who 'just don't get it'.

QUOTE]

And the reason they "just don't get it" is that they have not received their lesson or had it updated in a long while. There are too many @$$h0le$ like this guy and they seem to be propagating and become more brazen.

"If you have light, let other light their candle at it." and he should have definitely lit this guys candle. As for the kids, they need concrete examples of what happens when you think you can let your mouth run off and get into other peoples face and business.

As your post talks about patience, I WAS a very patient type of guy, but I found that the more patient or ingoring of, the more your long term internal temperature rises. Also most events tend to only go from not good to bad to worse with the @$$h0le getting braver, maybe even enlisting other a22l2des to help his side. They get to thinking they can do this all over the place and feel righteous when you exit to avoid the conflict (like moving ice holes).

I have over the last few years developed a new policy - If they are brazen enough to yap at me or get in my face or stick their nose in my business then they need a lesson and because not everyone can give them one, I will (and make up for the missed ones). I will also no longer wait while the issue escalates - just go to the very end of it right away and save my breath.

So your right they are lucky, but they are banking on probability that most people avoid conflict and avoid the physical confrontation. Long term it a very bad gamble.

Great idea. They start it, you decide to finish it and then we read about a guy that got stabbed to death. You'll live longer if you just walk away.

yardslave
07-05-2009, 09:13 PM
Sorry for goin off topic...... but where are you icefishin this time of year????

baitfisher83
07-05-2009, 09:18 PM
Sorry for goin off topic...... but where are you icefishin this time of year????

This thread started in february i believe, and someone dug into a big hole and brought it back up a couple days ago

MikeSpike
07-06-2009, 12:00 PM
Great idea. They start it, you decide to finish it and then we read about a guy that got stabbed to death. You'll live longer if you just walk away.

OR....you try to ignore/walk away and they get even braver & more in your face....your kid looks at you with "Your going to put up with that sh1t-are you afraid...why do we have to leave and let this jerk have his way".

Also there is a saying "If you pull a knife, you better know how to use it."

Beside most people that get in others face/business are like yappy little chichuahuas - a lot more show than go, more bark than bite.

Besides from personal experience, the ignore them never works and the situation gets worse for you. I've had at least four incidences that I can recall where the "Whatever! and ignore them turned in them calling freinds on the cell to come and provide backup/support/etc. Took me a few years to realize the ignore them wasn't working and was potentially allowing a situation to grow to where I was going have to leave quickly or fight with no restraint.

In recent years, I have found the -Shut the f23k up or lets go! has ended the situation right at the outset-and so far all incidences have ended peacefully - sometimes with them apologizing for p1ssing me off.

As for comment about digging up an old thread - why not - issues are still relevant - not everyone has read it or commented - yappen is still happenen.