PDA

View Full Version : Electric Trolling Motor Modifications?

PlayDoh
04-01-2009, 12:49 AM
Hi everyone,
Firstly, I bought a couple books at Walley-World, one on Walleyes, the other on Pike/Muskey. I found them both very informative and easy to read. Lots of rigging details, and you could be an idiot and read them and be a decent angler if you were so employed.

Anyways, in the tips department it tells you to loosen the head of your trolling motor and turn the entire control head 180 degrees so you can back-troll yet use the more efficient forward gear. Since the propeller is torpedo shaped, it makes sense, yet I'd like to hear if anyone has done it, especially to a Minn Kota.

I have only a 14' low V/Flat hull boat, yet a 55 LBS MK transom mount, so I can troll for days on a single battery. Therefore I'm not sure its really worth it, yet if I ever did 'bottom out' back trolling, with the prop blades as the first to hit, they'd be toast. Which is the only reason I'm really thinking about it.

It also mentions getting some splash guards, which is just what I need. Anyone know where to get some, or how to make some up?

Thanks in advance.

Waxy
04-01-2009, 09:08 AM
I can't really comment on the trolling motor mods without seeing it, but spinning it around does make a huge difference in how efficient the motor is when backtrolling.

Any time you're back trolling, the motor is going to hit first, but you're right there at the back of the boat, so you shouldn't be bottoming out, especially at trolling speed, if you're paying attention and not napping lol. I can't see there being a big difference in that scenario whether the motor was reversed or not. You'll like bugger up the prop, fortunately, I think they're only about $25.

As for splash guards, they are must haves if you're going to back troll, or even just for those windy days. I run the Wave Wackers and I'm VERY happy with them and their customer service. Just give them a call and they'll get all your info and custom make them to fit your boat. I've also heard good things about the Whitecaps brand. I don't think you can go wrong with either.

Waxy

bobalong
04-01-2009, 08:18 PM
It is fairly easy to do and you do gain much more power using your forward gears when backtrolling. The only thing that was a bit of a pain was threading the bolt back through the tube around the power cables that come up through the tube.

budd77
04-01-2009, 08:38 PM
I did this on a 55 lb Minn Kota a few years ago it worked really good. No problems with spinning the head and it works alot better for backtrolling this way. I have Whitecap splashguards and they work really well. A few of my buddies have Wavewackers and they work really well too. They look a little better made but cost more. Can order direct from either manufacturer.