PDA

View Full Version : Fly rod Rod makers ?

Alliman
04-01-2009, 02:29 PM
Looking for a Rod maker, any recomendations much appreciated, Thanks in advance

mikeym
04-01-2009, 03:07 PM
what type of rod are you looking for? Custom made or store bought?

Don Anderson makes probably one of the nicest custom split cane rods in Alberta but they are not cheap by any means. their are a few other guys out there also making custom rods not only cane, but graphite etc also.

as for store bought rods, you can't go wrong with some of the bigger name brands like St Croix (i have a 9ft 5wt and love it), Sage/Redington (a little more on the pricer side but very nice rods), Spring Brook, G loomis, Orvis to name a few and even Temple Fork outfitters (TFO) some people love them sonme people hate them, but they are pretty decent for the money.

guess need to know a bit more of what you are looking for to narrow it down for you.

rgds
Mike

Alliman
04-01-2009, 03:21 PM
Sorry, Sage, Gloomis, Orvis graphite blanks. Thinking 9ft 6wt

tonyflyfish
04-02-2009, 12:25 AM
a Sage Launch and like it. Will buy Sage again.

Kingfisher
04-02-2009, 01:27 AM
What are you looking at having made? I have my own rod building company. I bought out my partner this past year and haven't named the company since I took over. Currently just labled as Rob's Rod's, a divisioin of TFN Enterprises. But I've built many rods. I currently have orders until about the end of May.

I also carry a full line of supplies including books on how to build your own custom rod and all the supplies to go ahead and get it done.

I also second Don Anderson's rods. If your looking for a split cane rod you won't find much nicer.

Rob