PDA

View Full Version : Spray Lakes Question

Logan
04-01-2009, 03:02 PM
I have never ice fished Spray before and I know they have a no bait fish rule, in the Alberta Regs is says Smelts and Herring are not considered bait fish but how about Anchovies? I just got a bag of them and was wondering if I could use them all up.

Also I was wondering if you can drive onto the lake or if its walk on only? Its my first time ice fishing there and have no clue where the hell to try so driving would make it easier to more rather than walking and pulling the sled, but if its 2 feet and a heart beat so be it.

Thanks guys.

Blairh
04-01-2009, 03:51 PM
Hey, it is walk on only, Ive only fished there once and Ive had some luck. But Your best bet is to wait for mustang to see this, he is the spray lakes expert.

FishBrain
04-01-2009, 04:21 PM
yep walk on only, no motorized vehicles at all!!
Anchovies are a salt water fish so they should be fine to use I would think.
ummm, on the lake go far, when you get tired of walking go a little more.
thats all I know, literally

jts1
04-01-2009, 04:30 PM
Park at Driftwood Boat Launch
2" Buzz Bombs
Tiped with Smelt Head
60 - 100 FOW....

You cant go wrong

nicemustang
04-01-2009, 05:03 PM
Anchovies are OK, but smelt works better IMO. But try them out anyway, depends how big they are. Also depending on the bite, they won't touch big stuff or they will try and steal it or just bite the tail, etc. Small smelts, tear the tail off, on a white buzz bomb or tube jig, and fish the whole water column with pretty agressive jigging/dropping. The deeper the better this time of year.

slingshotz
04-01-2009, 06:44 PM
I'm thinking of heading there this Sunday and was wondering if spoons will work as good as the buzz bombs? My tackle box is full enough already and I really shouldn't buy any more sparkly stuff :cry:

Triple Threat
04-01-2009, 06:52 PM
I'm thinking of heading there this Sunday and was wondering if spoons will work as good as the buzz bombs? My tackle box is full enough already and I really shouldn't buy any more sparkly stuff :cry:

I've had some luck with a green swedish pimple and a smelt if you have any of those in your arsen. good luck

Nerdapres'
04-01-2009, 07:07 PM
I've had good luck with a variety of spoons. Any flashy spoon about two inches long has worked for me.

Logan
04-01-2009, 07:32 PM
Thanks guys, the only time I have ever fished there we fished on the East side about 3 or 4km down in the spring when the water is low and we walked out to an island and fished off there with jigs and pickeral rigs with smelts. I got the Marcum so finding the fish in the column shouldn't be too hard as long as they're around.

Anyone ever catch anything other than Lakers in there?

alacringa
04-01-2009, 08:38 PM
I've only caught lakers, but am pretty sure the shallower waters hold mounties.

Logan
04-01-2009, 08:51 PM
Mounties are almost like a glorified sucker IMO. :sick:

nicemustang
04-01-2009, 09:12 PM
Off the point there are mounties, its rocky/sandy a ways out, in 25-35 FOW. CAught a couple by accident, didn't keep any.

Five of diamonds will work as well or a jigging rap.

uicehole
04-01-2009, 10:30 PM
1/4 to 3/8 oz jig and grub body works consistently for me. As you may be fishing 50 to 100 ft down, a low stretch line is a big advantage. A fish finder or flasher REALLY helps to locate the depth of the cruisers and notify you a bite may be pending. I've used anchovies before and they work. They're fatty so they ooze alot of scent. Good luck all.

kostianych
04-01-2009, 11:29 PM
last Saturday we got 4 rockies 2 meters from the shoreline in 12-15 FOW, also got one laker in the same hole :)

Freedom55
04-03-2009, 07:50 PM
I will be taking one last kick at the frozen cat this Sunday on this pond and armed with the advice I have read here I will be well prepared. Blue and white '78 Silverado, red sleigh, white pail and a canvas coat. Stop by, we'll tell a few lies.

slingshotz
04-05-2009, 05:32 PM
Well I headed up to Spray for the first time in my life and it is sure more scenic than the other prarie lakes I normally go. Walked out almost a km from the boat launch and fished for a few hours in the morning, only managed to get a little sunburn and something that managed to steal a big smelt with two hooks through it :mad:. Was trying in about 40 FOW I think. My flasher had a real bad time reading the bottom where we were for some reason, it was either 160 FOW or 60 FOW but I'm pretty sure it was about 60....

But on the way back to Canmore I saw a few guys near the dam on the ice about 40 feet from open water, it sure looked a bit dodgy. Anyone know if it's any better over there? Would like to go out again next weekend and this time I'll have to try and head out earlier. I've read up the other tips on Spray but no one mentioned anything other than the boat launch.

Freedom55
04-06-2009, 07:22 AM
I also fished this lake on Sunday. I drove up the pavement then turned north on Smith-Dorian Trail. First mistake of the day as it took too long and the gravel road was not worth travelling. As it turned out I should have continued on and fished Kananaskis instead as the fish were not biting at all at Spray. Walked on between Sparrowhead and Driftwood (good thing I brought snowshoes) and stopped in the middle. Could not get the auger to start so I hand drilled down to the bend in the handle then stopped to shovel off the snow so the auger would reach. Trapped water between the ice and the snow cover was typical so I moved out further and tried again, this time with the gas pig. Buried it to the handle then had to dig that out, wasting another half hour or more. Three holes total (25'28'&35') and an hour spent doing it. I was stuck at that spot for the day,no running and gunning for me. Jigged every thing in the trays from tubes to garlic smelts to Gulp alive to worms to spoons, buzzbombs, and you name it. I even tried still fishing with power grubs while I had a smoke. Nothing. My portable fish finder malfunctioned completely and I was blinded by the Sun but the weather was great and even crappy fishing is better than a day in the city doing chores. I finally left at 2pm. The road north to Canmore, while blessedly short was wretched as it tried to shake the wheels off my old truck. I'd go again anytime but now I think I'll wait until the ice is off. I see danger in sitting on the ice surrounded by water!
I am now looking for an electronics guy who can repair the cable on my Zebco hand held. I'm tempted to replace it as I won it at a derby but I'm kinda fond of the thing. Any ideas?

jts1
04-06-2009, 09:06 AM
I also fished this lake on Sunday. I drove up the pavement then turned north on Smith-Dorian Trail. First mistake of the day as it took too long and the gravel road was not worth travelling. As it turned out I should have continued on and fished Kananaskis instead as the fish were not biting at all at Spray. Walked on between Sparrowhead and Driftwood (good thing I brought snowshoes) and stopped in the middle. Could not get the auger to start so I hand drilled down to the bend in the handle then stopped to shovel off the snow so the auger would reach. Trapped water between the ice and the snow cover was typical so I moved out further and tried again, this time with the gas pig. Buried it to the handle then had to dig that out, wasting another half hour or more. Three holes total (25'28'&35') and an hour spent doing it. I was stuck at that spot for the day,no running and gunning for me. Jigged every thing in the trays from tubes to garlic smelts to Gulp alive to worms to spoons, buzzbombs, and you name it. I even tried still fishing with power grubs while I had a smoke. Nothing. My portable fish finder malfunctioned completely and I was blinded by the Sun but the weather was great and even crappy fishing is better than a day in the city doing chores. I finally left at 2pm. The road north to Canmore, while blessedly short was wretched as it tried to shake the wheels off my old truck. I'd go again anytime but now I think I'll wait until the ice is off. I see danger in sitting on the ice surrounded by water!
I am now looking for an electronics guy who can repair the cable on my Zebco hand held. I'm tempted to replace it as I won it at a derby but I'm kinda fond of the thing. Any ideas?

Yes that road gets a little rough this time of year. It dont sound lke you had a very good day out there. But if you had gone to K Country I dont think you would have had an more luck. Barrier is not that good of a fishery , sept when thi ice comes off and the water level aint been riseing due to the melt. Right in front of the spillway is a great spot. There is a bay on the south side as well But road is closed in winter. Other than that there is Wedge Pond has Greyling in it but noone ice fish's it. The Upper and Lower K Lakes aint worth a stink for Hardwater.