PDA

View Full Version : NSR west of Edmonton

pdfish
04-01-2009, 08:08 PM
Anyone been driving by or over the North Saskatchewan west of the city? Haven't had a chance to make it out yet and look at the ice. Any signs of it deteriorating or better yet, any open sections? I know the river is 3/4 open on the east side of the city, hoping that out west its showing signs of opening. Just really itchin' to get out and do some spring fishing (and playin' around on the boat) before the runoff hits.

angler1
04-02-2009, 10:42 AM
Hey there pdfish, I too live for this jetboatin thing, everything still frozen solid west of the city. However if you do need a fix, you can trailer out to Nordegg, go south to the bridge on the trunk road. There is a launch on the north side of the bridge (good one). Was out there yesterday. You can go upstream from there, water is crystal clear and very cool running not to mention SCENIC. The channel is braided but doable if you don't mind skinny water. A few of the boys from DV run that stretch regularily long before the rest of the river is broken. The warmer water coming out of the Bighorn Dam prevents this stretch from freezing.

Chris K
04-02-2009, 01:08 PM
Anyone been driving by or over the North Saskatchewan west of the city? Haven't had a chance to make it out yet and look at the ice. Any signs of it deteriorating or better yet, any open sections? I know the river is 3/4 open on the east side of the city, hoping that out west its showing signs of opening. Just really itchin' to get out and do some spring fishing (and playin' around on the boat) before the runoff hits.

Todd, we have to go out early if we can, I know a good overwintering hole...you know it too, but a few years back in April I lit it up with a buddy...we got 13 sturgeon and the biggest was a 48 pounder. Depending on river ice conditions, sometimes you can get icefloes piling up in there though...so we would have to take it easy so we don't get stuck. We would have to bring Willie and Dave so they can push! Chris K

pdfish
04-02-2009, 01:16 PM
Todd, we have to go out early if we can, I know a good overwintering hole...you know it too, but a few years back in April I lit it up with a buddy...we got 13 sturgeon and the biggest was a 48 pounder. Depending on river ice conditions, sometimes you can get icefloes piling up in there though...so we would have to take it easy so we don't get stuck. We would have to bring Willie and Dave so they can push! Chris K

Don't worry Chris, we'll hit it up as soon the river is navigable. There are lots of holes I wanna check out this year. One in particular intrigues me, its in the middle of nowhere (as in you would never expect it) and the water drops from 6 to 18'. Saw it last year on the finder, never had a chance to fish it. And yes, those two can push when we get into the skinny stuff.

Angler1, thanks for the tip, depending on how bad (stir-crazy) I get over the next week or so, I may have to make that trip.

saltwater cowboy
04-02-2009, 01:20 PM
Hey Guys, is it possible to go fishing on the NSR with an outboard on a 16 1/2ft upstream from Devon or are there lots of places to break a leg ? I have only canoed there and much later in the summer, not fishing.
Would really like to try for a Sturgeon !!!!
Salty

pdfish
04-02-2009, 01:22 PM
Hey Guys, is it possible to go fishing on the NSR with an outboard on a 16 1/2ft upstream from Devon or are there lots of places to break a leg ? I have only canoed there and much later in the summer, not fishing.
Would really like to try for a Sturgeon !!!!
Salty

I wouldn't advise it Salty. I'm not saying you couldn't do it, but there's one section not too far upstream where the water is only about 8" at its deepest when the river is low.