PDA

View Full Version : Looking for suggestions on drive to fishing locations.

tbosch
04-02-2009, 10:15 AM
My father and I were planning on doing a fly-in trip to the territories this summer. As luck would have it the a** has fallen out of our economy and we won't be able to make it up there now. So we are planning on doing a drive-camp-fish style trip instead. We like to try a new place every year to keep it exciting. We have done most of the accessible lake fishing in the mid northern alberta (winefred, christina, touchwood, heart, labiche, beaver, wolf etc). Last year we went to nemeiben lake north of lac la ronge for a week and it was fantastic. We want to try somewhere else this year though. We are pretty open to travel within 12-18 hours drive from red deer. We are primarily pike hunters but wouldn't mind doing some fishing for lakers or big bows or whatever. I just thought I'd throw it out there and see if any of y'all have any suggestions of places you've been before and enjoyed. Thanks in advance for any ideas. We will likely be going in mid june.

mooseknuckle
04-02-2009, 10:26 AM
The economy has affected several of our planned trips this summer. really sucks, however a fishing/camping trip with the old man.... priceless. And it doesn't have to cost you an arm and a leg. Last summer me and my dad drove 8-9hrs to Nipawin Sask on Tobin lake. Great Campsites, great people, and the fishing (in June)... unbelievable!! Pike and walleye action was some of the best we've experienced. :wave:

tbosch
04-02-2009, 10:30 AM
The economy has affected several of our planned trips this summer. really sucks, however a fishing/camping trip with the old man.... priceless. And it doesn't have to cost you an arm and a leg. Last summer me and my dad drove 8-9hrs to Nipawin Sask on Tobin lake. Great Campsites, great people, and the fishing (in June)... unbelievable!! Pike and walleye action was some of the best we've experienced. :wave:

I agree Moose. I look forward all year to spending a week with the old man on the water. We've actually been rolling the idea of tobin lake around. I'll have to a bit more research in to that one. I've heard there can be some bad dead heads in that lake due to the flooding. Did you run in to any problems at all?

mooseknuckle
04-02-2009, 10:42 AM
Can't say that we did. As for this year... time will tell I suppose. I hope he and I can get out there again this summer. I can honestly say we lost count of our catch the first day. No'w I'm not much of a fly fisher but for what it's worth we had alot of luck with the topwater lures. I guess thats the closest comparison I can make. So í can't see why you wouldn't do well on the fly. I should mention we had a few good days 3hrs north of edmonton at cold lake for the lakers!!

Rumtan
04-02-2009, 11:00 AM
Lac la biche has some really good fishing that might be worth planning a trip to. Cold Lake can be fun (if you have a boat) and can be really tough to fish when the winds pick up depending on the size of your boat.

tbosch
04-02-2009, 02:09 PM
We've done lac labiche in the past so I dont think we'll do that one again but cold lake is one that i've never done. My dad gets a little squeamish on big water though..We used to have a little rickety 12' aluminum boat and he would s**t bricks as soon as he saw a cloud on an otherwise sunny horizon. :lol: We have an 18 footer now so we should be fine. I like the idea of cold lake for sure.

JohninAB
04-02-2009, 03:49 PM
Meadow Lake Provincial park, lots of lakes and camping and lots of different fish to chase.

gpguy7
04-02-2009, 03:55 PM
what about taking a trip to osoyoos lake, or another lake in the okanogan region that holds small and largemouth bass. saw the boys on fish n canada pulling out 5 lb smallmouth and even bigger largemouth in osoyoos lake. just an idea, it cant be that far from red deer and it's a whole different experience than you'll get in alberta.

hal53
04-02-2009, 04:05 PM
Don't want to hijack...but has anyone tried Blood Indian Res. South of Youngstown!!!!.....my father-in-law is 71 and has never thrown hardware in his life, fly fishing only.....retired here a couple years ago, and dearly misses his fly fishing

tbosch
04-02-2009, 04:32 PM
what about taking a trip to osoyoos lake, or another lake in the okanogan region that holds small and largemouth bass. saw the boys on fish n canada pulling out 5 lb smallmouth and even bigger largemouth in osoyoos lake. just an idea, it cant be that far from red deer and it's a whole different experience than you'll get in alberta.

I had no idea there were bass in osoyoos lake. That would be really cool to try out large mouth. I fished a couple of lakes around nanaimo that had small mouth in them but never have hooked in to a large mouth. That might have to be a later in the summer trip.

WayneChristie
04-02-2009, 07:57 PM
I fishes Osoyoos when I was a kid, caught some huge carp which were a lot of fun, kind of like hooking a motorboat. Also catfish, crappies, bass, perch, and cant remember what all else. Its majorly built up from the old days now, dont know what the fishing would be like now.

jrs
04-02-2009, 08:15 PM
Have you considered taking a trip to southern Alberta? If you're into big pike and walleye there are tons of great reservoirs, with some decent campgrounds along some. Its nice as you can keep a few eyes on some lakes as well so you even get the odd shore lunch.

hal53
"Don't want to hijack...but has anyone tried Blood Indian Res. South of Youngstown!!!!.....my father-in-law is 71 and has never thrown hardware in his life, fly fishing only.....retired here a couple years ago, and dearly misses his fly fishing"

Its considered one of Alberta's better stocked rainbow lakes, i'd imagine it would be perfect for your father in law. I haven't fished it myself but I've read many posts about it and a few buddies of mine used to stop by on occasion and always got a few chubby rainbows.

lipripper
04-02-2009, 08:21 PM
Hello,I dont know what kind of camp set up you have but if you and the old man are into just setting up the camper beside a lake in a feild,there are plenty around Vulcan.Some HUGE pike and tones of water.I suggest,badger,lake newell,keho,crawling vally,ect.....
mcgregor has a camp ground on the north side,but lower mcgregor is nice because its so quiet,and fishing the spillways can be FANTASTIC!
Crawling vally also has a nice little campground and is probaly the best walleye lake in the area.

On a side note,I grew up in Penticton,and have fished osoyoos lake since I was a kid.Although the fishing can be terrific early and late in the season mid summer can shut the lake down for quit a while,38-41 degrees C are the norm in the summer there.

Tight Lines.

fishing_flower
04-03-2009, 07:51 AM
Have you thought about the Kootenays in BC? There are some really good lakes there. Kootenay lake is a good one, but you have to fish deep for the trout, they also have kokanee there too. You also need a special tag to keep a trout over a certain size. The southern area has bass as well. There are other good lakes there too.

The Upper Arrow by Castlegar is an awesome place to go. There is Premier Lake, Wasa, Jim Smith. Lots of them.

Also, by Vernon the Okanogan Lake, we had some pretty good fishing there last year. Even for July. You can buy BC fishing licenses online now too.

HerdBull
04-03-2009, 07:56 AM
This strays a little from the species you mentioned....but its worth a thought. A Fraser River Sturgeon trip is something I think every serious angler should try at least once in his life. Its relativley inexpensive and an absolute ball!

bucktaker
04-03-2009, 08:06 AM
head to creston in BC. Not that far away. Place called Duck Lake. Large mouth bass, Pearch, Pumkinseed. Drive right up to lake. Fished there in a cast after surgey on leg years ago. We go every summer since. Kootney lk right there also. Big gerrard rainbows in that lk. Fish right from shore.

tbosch
04-03-2009, 08:19 AM
Have you thought about the Kootenays in BC? There are some really good lakes there. Kootenay lake is a good one, but you have to fish deep for the trout, they also have kokanee there too. You also need a special tag to keep a trout over a certain size. The southern area has bass as well. There are other good lakes there too.

The Upper Arrow by Castlegar is an awesome place to go. There is Premier Lake, Wasa, Jim Smith. Lots of them.

Also, by Vernon the Okanogan Lake, we had some pretty good fishing there last year. Even for July. You can buy BC fishing licenses online now too.

My wife and I are going to be camping at lake koocanusa in late july sometime for about 6 days. I'm hoping to do some fishing in and around there. She will be 7 months prego though so we wont be doing too much adventuring.

This strays a little from the species you mentioned....but its worth a thought. A Fraser River Sturgeon trip is something I think every serious angler should try at least once in his life. Its relativley inexpensive and an absolute ball!

I agree completely Herdbull. I've actually been lucky enough to fish sturgeon down there several times with my buddies from chilliwack and abbotsford. Best so far is just under 9'. Unfortunately I wont be able to do that one this year because we usually go in late october or early november and we will have a newborn at this time.

head to creston in BC. Not that far away. Place called Duck Lake. Large mouth bass, Pearch, Pumkinseed. Drive right up to lake. Fished there in a cast after surgey on leg years ago. We go every summer since. Kootney lk right there also. Big gerrard rainbows in that lk. Fish right from shore.

I would love to get in to some gerrards. I've heard great things about them. I'll have to look in to prices of downriggers now. I've heard basspro is selling the manual scotties pretty cheap.

Awesome suggestions guys. Really gets a guy thinking. So many options and so little time... Hurry up summer!

Freedom55
04-03-2009, 09:37 AM

You can also catch some large sturgeon in the S. Sask. river in the Medicine Hat area. My wife's nephew caught a 97+ lb when he was a pre-teen quite a number of years ago and, as a local, he never misses an opportunity to fish these waters to this day, from shore.

fishing_flower
04-03-2009, 09:45 AM
If you are going to be at Kookanusa, Wasa Lake has bass in it:) And the water is nice and warm to swim in too.
There are some really good map/fishing books for BC. Check out Canadian Tire for the ones that have individual maps of each lake. That's where I bought mine and they are awesome books.

tbosch
04-03-2009, 10:34 AM
If you are going to be at Kookanusa, Wasa Lake has bass in it:) And the water is nice and warm to swim in too.
There are some really good map/fishing books for BC. Check out Canadian Tire for the ones that have individual maps of each lake. That's where I bought mine and they are awesome books.

Theres bass in there? Awesome. I will look for that book for sure. I'm hoping to try a few of the lakes around kookanusa for sure.

Thanks

HerdBull
04-03-2009, 12:11 PM
Can you believe I actually asked you if you've ever fished the Fraser for Sturgeon given your avatar picture?

Holy cow....think I better grab a Red Bull and keep my mouth (fingers) shut till I wake up, before I say something REALLY stupid!!

I'm surprised nobody else pointed that out yet lol

WalleyeDeitz
04-03-2009, 01:16 PM
Myself and a few buddies made a trip to Tobin Lake, Sask a few years back and had a wicked time. We landed a 25lb pike and 10.5 pound and 8 lb walleye in the same day...not to mention the 237 (**Just a guess) or so other walleye we caught that day. There were times when you could not get your jig to hit the bottom....seriously.... As far as the deadwood, there was not much floating in the water though often while jigging you would hook into a water logged branch. Most times you could successfully pull it to surface and safely release it without harming it.

Well worth the drive. We rented a Cabin and a boat and for 4 days it was only a couple hundred dollars each (6 of us)....one of those trips that will last in my memory forever...

Would be a great place to take you father as you can take quick trips out to the good spots throughout the day.

Chris K
04-03-2009, 02:13 PM
Lake of the Woods, it's 2 hours east of Winnipeg. I spend a week out there ever summer, and it's an anglers paradise. Walleye, muskie, lake trout, smallmouth and largemouth bass, pike, crappie, and perch. The fishing is fantastic, and you can find some drive to lodges with very good rates for accomidations and guides and boat rentals, if you don't have your own.

Here are a few examples:

http://www.obabikon.com/
http://www.ashrapidslodge.com/
http://www.houseboatadventures.com/009_HouseboatAdve.html
http://www.gussyoutdoors.com/

Chris K

tbosch
04-03-2009, 04:53 PM
Can you believe I actually asked you if you've ever fished the Fraser for Sturgeon given your avatar picture?

Holy cow....think I better grab a Red Bull and keep my mouth (fingers) shut till I wake up, before I say something REALLY stupid!!

I'm surprised nobody else pointed that out yet lol

Hahaha. Herdbull it took everything in my power not to burn ya...:lol: Just Kidding buddy It's all good. Just the word sturgeon gets me all fired up again to get out there so I thank you for that. Where abouts did you fish for sturg when you were down there?

Myself and a few buddies made a trip to Tobin Lake, Sask a few years back and had a wicked time. We landed a 25lb pike and 10.5 pound and 8 lb walleye in the same day...not to mention the 237 (**Just a guess) or so other walleye we caught that day. There were times when you could not get your jig to hit the bottom....seriously.... As far as the deadwood, there was not much floating in the water though often while jigging you would hook into a water logged branch. Most times you could successfully pull it to surface and safely release it without harming it.

Well worth the drive. We rented a Cabin and a boat and for 4 days it was only a couple hundred dollars each (6 of us)....one of those trips that will last in my memory forever...

Would be a great place to take you father as you can take quick trips out to the good spots throughout the day.

Tobin is sounding pretty good there walleye. May I ask where you stayed when you were there? I've been looking at tobin lake resort and carrols cove. I was hoping to find somewhere that is close to the good fishing(I dont know where that is either.) It would be nice to stay somewhere with a shower for once. After 10 days of roughin it things can get a little ripe, and being black bear season and all...

Chris K
04-03-2009, 06:16 PM
At Nipawin, Silver Tip Outfitting is located in the Resort Village at Tobin Lake. They have cabins, and are really great to deal with. Chad Tourand that used to manage the West Fishin' Hole is part of their family and works for them out there. Big pike, and huge eyes. Best time I would reccomend would be the week after the long weekend in July. Fishing is red hot then and tons of big fish are biting. www.silvertipoutfitting.com

Jim Chute that runs the Vanity Cup also has a place out there. www.vanityventures.ca

Twin marine rents houseboats too, and lots of people rent a boat, and tow their fishing boat behind. They are in the Nipawin Regional Park and Curtis and Tressa are awesome to deal with. www.tobinlake.net

Hope this helps, Chris K

tbosch
04-04-2009, 07:21 AM
At Nipawin, Silver Tip Outfitting is located in the Resort Village at Tobin Lake. They have cabins, and are really great to deal with. Chad Tourand that used to manage the West Fishin' Hole is part of their family and works for them out there. Big pike, and huge eyes. Best time I would reccomend would be the week after the long weekend in July. Fishing is red hot then and tons of big fish are biting. www.silvertipoutfitting.com

Jim Chute that runs the Vanity Cup also has a place out there. www.vanityventures.ca

Twin marine rents houseboats too, and lots of people rent a boat, and tow their fishing boat behind. They are in the Nipawin Regional Park and Curtis and Tressa are awesome to deal with. www.tobinlake.net

Hope this helps, Chris K

Thanks very much for all the info Chris. I have talked to silvertip and vanity after I read this yesterday, now my dad and I just have to decide where to go. Either way they all look good out there. I can't wait to give it a try. My dad is a pike hunter so I grew up pike hunting myself but i've learned many tricks for fishing walleye and pike in different ways so I think my dad is going to have a hell of a time this year. I might make a walleye fisherman out of him yet...

Travis

WayneChristie
04-04-2009, 08:08 AM
You can also catch some large sturgeon in the S. Sask. river in the Medicine Hat area. My wife's nephew caught a 97+ lb when he was a pre-teen quite a number of years ago and, as a local, he never misses an opportunity to fish these waters to this day, from shore.

any chance you know what he uses for bait? Im new to the area, 100K from my front door to the forks. 6 minutes to the Bow. Im looking forward to catching my first sturgeon this year. pics only I know :) lots of fish in there Ive never seen before, going to be a great summer!!!!

Freedom55
04-04-2009, 08:58 AM
The legend is hazy with time but I believe he talked about a large rod, a heavy weight, a chunk of beefheart, a lawn chair and wait. I have never gone with him but the lawn chairs, fire and beer into the night sure sounded fine. I'll talk to him and let you know about the beef heart part. Dave Si

JohninAB
04-04-2009, 09:20 AM
If Chris is going to mention Lake of the Woods then I will mention Sioux Lookout. It is 4 hours from Winnipeg and a fisherman's paradise. Lakes galore, smallmouth, muskie, laker's, walleye and pike. Plus you have Lac Seul right there which is arguably the best walleye fishery in North America. The drive is worth it! Plus on those lazy hazy days can always sit along the beach in town and watch the float planes do their thing. Nothing like a Beaver, Otter or Norseman!

tbosch
04-04-2009, 09:23 AM
If Chris is going to mention Lake of the Woods then I will mention Sioux Lookout. It is 4 hours from Winnipeg and a fisherman's paradise. Lakes galore, smallmouth, muskie, laker's, walleye and pike. Plus you have Lac Seul right there which is arguably the best walleye fishery in North America. The drive is worth it! Plus on those lazy hazy days can always sit along the beach in town and watch the float planes do their thing. Nothing like a Beaver, Otter or Norseman!

A trip to manitoba and ontario is definitely in the works for us in the near future also. Maybe next year we'll look at going that direction. Sounds like it would definitely be worth the drive. Plus my dad really wants to go for lakers and doesnt have the patience to fish the local waters such as swan minnewanka and abraham.

WayneChristie
04-05-2009, 07:30 AM
The legend is hazy with time but I believe he talked about a large rod, a heavy weight, a chunk of beefheart, a lawn chair and wait. I have never gone with him but the lawn chairs, fire and beer into the night sure sounded fine. I'll talk to him and let you know about the beef heart part. Dave Si

Thank you. been a dream of mine for a long time to catch an Alberta sturgeon, now Im in bike riding distance it just may happen this year :) They dont have to worry about toothmarks, I wouldnt eat anything out of the river even if they were legal, seen too many weird things leaching out of the riverbanks!

WayneChristie
04-05-2009, 07:32 AM
A trip to manitoba and ontario is definitely in the works for us in the near future also. Maybe next year we'll look at going that direction. Sounds like it would definitely be worth the drive. Plus my dad really wants to go for lakers and doesnt have the patience to fish the local waters such as swan minnewanka and abraham.

If you do Manitoba, dont forget about the huge catfish around Winterpeg. another dream of mine :)

surhuntsalot
04-05-2009, 09:15 AM
We've done lac labiche in the past so I dont think we'll do that one again but cold lake is one that i've never done. My dad gets a little squeamish on big water though..We used to have a little rickety 12' aluminum boat and he would s**t bricks as soon as he saw a cloud on an otherwise sunny horizon. :lol: We have an 18 footer now so we should be fine. I like the idea of cold lake for sure.

I live close to Cold Lake, and have done very well with the Lakers and early Pike. There are several different launches you can use to play the wind... anyone can PM me if htey want more info...

Another favorite place of mine is Pierce Lake just a little to the east in Sask. The laketrout are not as big as a rule, but are plentiful, and there is great Pike fishing as well... Another nice thing is Pierce Lake Lodge, great camping facillities, you can even rent really reasonable cabins if you wish (believe the small ones were about $65/night)...

Never had a bad trip...

surhuntsalot
04-05-2009, 09:43 AM
any chance you know what he uses for bait? Im new to the area, 100K from my front door to the forks. 6 minutes to the Bow. Im looking forward to catching my first sturgeon this year. pics only I know :) lots of fish in there Ive never seen before, going to be a great summer!!!!

A buddy of mine that runs a charter out of the Hat uses mainly Salted minows on the SSR. He say's it cuts down on the Glodeye robbing him of his bait constantly. That said, Dew worms are by far the preffered bait for sturgeon on the NSR. A couple of large dew worms on a 4/0, or 5/0 hook with a 4oz to 6oz weight, depending on the current, 3way swivel or slider,then about a 14" leader. Still fished on the bottom works great. Just be sure to have alot of worms cause the Goldeye can strip ya without even making the rod tip wiggle...

tbosch
04-07-2009, 11:42 AM
Well our cabin is booked at Tobin lake for 5 days of fishing in june. I cant wait! It should be a gooder. Thanks to everyone for all the helpful information and tips. Now come on June and get here already.

chrispee
04-07-2009, 12:03 PM
Well our cabin is booked at Tobin lake for 5 days of fishing in june. I cant wait! It should be a gooder. Thanks to everyone for all the helpful information and tips. Now come on June and get here already.

Here is a nice little video that will get you excited for Tobin lake. Me and the girlfriend are heading up to Nipawin Regional in July. We usually go ever year and hand out with the family.

http://www.fishingsaskatchewan.ca/videos/fs_season_one/fs_103/fs_103.html

tbosch
04-07-2009, 12:29 PM
Here is a nice little video that will get you excited for Tobin lake. Me and the girlfriend are heading up to Nipawin Regional in July. We usually go ever year and hand out with the family.

http://www.fishingsaskatchewan.ca/videos/fs_season_one/fs_103/fs_103.html

Wow pretty much sums that up. Buddy I cant wait to get out there. There are some big slabs in that lake!

Freedom55
04-09-2009, 10:30 AM
A long fishing/camping trip would have to include the drive from Jasper to Prince George and particularly the leg from P.G. to Prince Rupert. Every bend in the road reveals a new fishing hole until you can't even count them all, not including any places that you find off the highway at countless lakes and up the tributaries of the Skeena. With plenty of towns (with bait shops for advice) and campgrounds for overnighting it is a can't miss unguided fishing experience of a lifetime. I did this trip the first time twenty years ago, ending with a pre-booked ferry to Queen Charlotte City for 4 days of that particular heaven.
At that time the ferry schedule was 4 days or 14 days with no options other than flying to Skidigate and hiring guides. Never been back to the Islands but I've fished that route plenty. Salmon, Arctic char, giant trout. Way too much fun!