PDA

View Full Version : Whitetail Hunters

Alberta bull hunter
11-17-2016, 09:28 AM
Hi all, just a quick question for any whitetail experts that may care to take an educated guess to answer.

I haven't done much strictly white tail hunting in the past, usually just carry a tag in my pocket while doing other hunting just in case. Now that my dad has his moose tag filled this year the pressure is off and i think i would like to give the deer a good shot. While out moose hunting I had many close encounters with young smaller bucks, and some does. Close enough that I'm thinking I'm going to take my bow and and give it a whirl for my first bow kill. Now I know there is no guarantee, but my question is... If I'm seeing all these little fork horn and spiker bucks running around with the does in this area, are there good chances that these guys have big brothers running around here too that just haven't shown themselves yet? I don't need a record book trophy but I sure would like to let the little guys hopefully grow up and take a little more mature deer.

Spartikus
11-17-2016, 09:43 AM
Totally depends on where you are hunting. I know that sounds like a pretty glib answer but it's true. Around sundre the butchers are saying that all that is coming in are little spikers. My buddy brought in the second biggest buck of the year to one place and it was moderate 4x5.

We let 3 bucks go prior to his taking that one but based on what we are hearing around Sundre and Cochrane don't be looking for the cranker bucks this year.

That being said I am a meat hunter myself and I have let a few does go as well just because I want a good meat kill on my supplemental and most of the ones I am seeing need another year or 2 to fatten up.

Props to you for trying to add to the challenge with your bow. I got my first bow kill this year myself. Was a great experience. That being said I am hunting grizz country and I wont go in this time of year without my canon :)

All the best to you my friend. Grats on your moose. Hoping to fill our tag this year as well. Been shut out the last 2 tags. Hey that's why they call it hunting right? ;)

Stay safe.

Kurt505
11-17-2016, 10:05 AM
Mature whitetail bucks aren't like young bucks or does, but on a rare occasion mushy slip up while chasing does during the rut. They don't usually follow the same travel routes as the younger bucks and does, generally opting for more cover and travel at different times. One thing I noticed, especially during the rut is that the mature bucks like to move quite a bit between 10am and 2pm, and a lot of times will be in open areas.

Mature whitetails almost seem magical lol, you always see them but for some reason you can't get a shot at them. On the rare occasion you connect with a true giant, I don't think there is any other feeling like it.

Alberta bull hunter
11-17-2016, 10:10 AM
Thanks for the info, we are hunting a few hours north and west of Edmonton so not quite in the same area, but it could definitely be the same scenario as you. All the bucks that i have seen so far have been very healthy big body bucks, but still just fork horns and spikers. Seen one very tall 3x3 a little further away on a small chunk of land, i may adjust and move to where he was seen but i also wouldn't mind the idea of seeing what he looks like next year if he makes it.

Good luck on the moose, i know the feeling in Grizz country, I've carried my bow a couple of times before the rifle opener on our yearly elk hunt trip, so far unsuccessful as previously said, but always carry a gun as well. Makes me feel a little better anyway haha.

3blade
11-17-2016, 01:42 PM
What you are seeing is the effects of the previous winters of 2009-2013(killing the old deer) and the effects of the last two much milder winters, allowing much better recruitment. Most of the big bucks being hunter killed are in the south where the snow wasn't as deep.

There are still a few bigger ones around in every area. Good luck on your hunt.

Alberta bull hunter
11-17-2016, 02:24 PM
What you are seeing is the effects of the previous winters of 2009-2013(killing the old deer) and the effects of the last two much milder winters, allowing much better recruitment. Most of the big bucks being hunter killed are in the south where the snow wasn't as deep.

There are still a few bigger ones around in every area. Good luck on your hunt.

Good point, i never thought of it in that perspective. Thanks

58thecat
11-17-2016, 04:23 PM
Patience...if you don't let them go and grow you will get spikers and forkhorns if your looking for a mature antlered buck but if your a meat eater...they run a muck...patience is a virtue.

raab
11-17-2016, 06:10 PM
Most of the time you wont see the big ones running around during the day before the rut. So I wouldnt worry that theres only small bucks out there.

In saying that if your going to bow hunt ill give you two quotes I find helpful.

"You dont want to look for the whole deer, you want to look for movement. Also remember thats what theyre looking for too." Fred Bear

"You need to know when to go fast and when to go slow." Larry Benoit