PDA

View Full Version : Drones

bigskinner
11-23-2016, 11:36 AM
Just curious , we have been able to fly remote helicoptors and planes in a park for years , over roadways , across fields etc.
The rc plane club in Airdre has also been flying for years , but lately have been looking for a new venue.
Now with all the hype about drones ,thease people make up a law to suit them selves and tell us we cant fly them anywhere , so l ask , what about the RC planes ,helicoptors and large jets , some of thease jets are 5ft in lenth , and been flying for years in open fields and large parks.
Now is it just because a drone has a camera and thease people are afraid someone is going to take pics of the ole lady naked in the backyard etc.
This is completely bull crap , how bout the Globle news helicopter , flys over the airport every day low , and the police helicopter the same.
How can one group of people tell another group of people what they can or cannot do.
Now with thease new flyboards hitting the air , the ones that carry a man and scoot around the air like superman , what they gonna do about them , the Govts already bought some and the police too
lts okay for them but nobody else , do we see a dictatorship here
Anyone here from the Airdrea RC plane club , whats your thoughts , have you been tossed new rules.
How can anyone own free airspace , we cant own the air we breath , your not trespassing by flying over Nenshies house , no more then the cops helicopter.
l understand the rules for the airport and military stations ,but over rds and in open fields , l don't see a problem.
We cant drive our Quads anywhere ,not even on a back country gravel rd , that's what there made for , to many rules by a anti fun group that crys and whines about fun toys that they don't have ,but want to stop anyone else from enjoying them so they lobby the Govt into making a law to outlaw them all.
l don't own either one of them , but it just seems its getting rediculas banning thease toys that are part of new technology.

HERES what l,d like to see , why not ban all thease bludy IPODS and PHONE people running around takin videos and pics of everyone ,IS THAT NOT AN INVASION OF PRIVACY , and how about the goofs walking down the street thumbing away texting or playing the ldiot POKYMAN game .
Com,on , what a bunch of crap.
We cant fly a drone over the pine trees in the forest , ohhhhh , now your spotting game , no end to the laws they can make up to suit them selves is there.

TIME TO FIGHT BACK.

Okotokian
11-23-2016, 11:52 AM
Not sure what you are so indignant about. The Transport Canada rules seem very sensible to me.

Which ones do you find stupid?

Ken07AOVette
11-23-2016, 12:06 PM
It is the same for everything, idiots ruin it for everyone. When stupidity occurs media jump all over it and get the whiners all lathered up for yet another inconsequential fight that they just have to be involved in.

People fly in no fly zones, near airports, in flight paths, higher than legal, over big crowds, hurting people and making headlines.

Society is to blame. :angry3:

hawk-i
11-23-2016, 12:09 PM
A drone in hunting season would be the ultimate trail cam.

Would be able to see where the game is bedded, size it up and decide whether or not its worth your effort to pursue it.

Technology can be a wonderful thing for those that don't want to spend the time and effort to do it the old way.
:)

reddeerguy2015
11-23-2016, 12:09 PM
He's simply stating drone users are ruining it for everyone. (Disclaimer: not *all* users...)

With more strict laws coming shortly from transport canada, the rules will trickle down on to rc plane hobbiests.

Sucks really

catnthehat
11-23-2016, 12:16 PM
A drone in hunting season would be the ultimate trail cam.

Would be able to see where the game is bedded, size it up and decide whether or not its worth your effort to pursue it.

Technology can be a wonderful thing for those that don't want to spend the time and effort to do it the old way.
:)

Remotely controlled aircraft have been illegal to use for spotting for some time
Cat

JDK71
11-23-2016, 12:28 PM
criminals have a new tool now they can fly over your farm or storage yard and have a look and have some pics for later.i think they should only be used on your own property or at an area that is designed for proper use then there would be a lot less issues

Marsha
11-23-2016, 12:43 PM
NOT ALL Drone users are out to make trouble !!
I am one who has a drone, I use mine out in the country to get the lay of the land and for Photography. and it makes great selfies. :love0025:

J0HN_R1
11-23-2016, 02:02 PM
Remotely controlled aircraft have been illegal to use for spotting for some time.

Cat

2 yrs isn't a long time...

Albertas Hunting Reg's didn't mention anything about UAV's until the 2015 season regs came out, AFAIK/remember.

Correct me if I'm wrong.

:confused:

Ken07AOVette
11-23-2016, 06:12 PM
criminals have a new tool now they can fly over your farm or storage yard and have a look and have some pics for later.i think they should only be used on your own property or at an area that is designed for proper use then there would be a lot less issues

grrrr....drones bad.... :sHa_sarcasticlol: http://rs295.pbsrc.com/albums/mm131/fettsgerald/1248646354913.jpg~c200 :)

The same thing could be said for hunters, drivers, hikers, skiiers, sledders, atv riders, fishermen.

Not all drone owners are criminals. I damn sure am not. I have volunteered mine to the County for search and rescue, fire, by your logic what I am doing is wrong.

I have heard this a few times, snotty girls whining that they are being spied on from 400' up and 600' away going past at 40mph :rolleye2:

I love showing people what I see when I fly, they get a big grin on their faces, ask where from, how much, easy to fly?

You have more to worry about when a military helicopter goes over, from the height we fly and with the camera we have we do not see details like you think we do.

And you can not see through windows with them. You get a huge glare. I tried at home.

If you are worried about someone seeing something on your land from a picture like this, you are likely hiding things you shouldn't have.
http://i211.photobucket.com/albums/bb267/KbxSrx/Mobile%20Uploads/Drone/screen_69877ee6e99ad56b_1477869248000_zpsjawxob0j. jpg (http://s211.photobucket.com/user/KbxSrx/media/Mobile%20Uploads/Drone/screen_69877ee6e99ad56b_1477869248000_zpsjawxob0j. jpg.html)

Ken07AOVette
11-23-2016, 06:16 PM
Just curious , we have been able to fly remote helicoptors and planes in a park for years , over roadways , across fields etc.
The rc plane club in Airdre has also been flying for years , but lately have been looking for a new venue.
Now with all the hype about drones ,thease people make up a law to suit them selves and tell us we cant fly them anywhere
TIME TO FIGHT BACK.

The real problem is, unlike planes and helicopters, anyone can go to best buy and fly a drone. There is zero skill required for any of the DJI and any of another 50 dozen manufacturers. You can leave the store, and literally fly out of the parking lot. No runway required.

I started with planes and helicopters too, the learning curve for flybarless heli without gyro and a 5 channel Futaba was massive. It was low and slow and very expensive to learn. Drones are dirt cheap and kids fly them.

I hope common sense kicks in before all the laws do.

RandyBoBandy
11-23-2016, 07:38 PM
grrrr....drones bad.... :sHa_sarcasticlol: http://rs295.pbsrc.com/albums/mm131/fettsgerald/1248646354913.jpg~c200 :)

The same thing could be said for hunters, drivers, hikers, skiiers, sledders, atv riders, fishermen.

Not all drone owners are criminals. I damn sure am not. I have volunteered mine to the County for search and rescue, fire, by your logic what I am doing is wrong.

I have heard this a few times, snotty girls whining that they are being spied on from 400' up and 600' away going past at 40mph :rolleye2:

I love showing people what I see when I fly, they get a big grin on their faces, ask where from, how much, easy to fly?

You have more to worry about when a military helicopter goes over, from the height we fly and with the camera we have we do not see details like you think we do.

And you can not see through windows with them. You get a huge glare. I tried at home.

If you are worried about someone seeing something on your land from a picture like this, you are likely hiding things you shouldn't have.
http://i211.photobucket.com/albums/bb267/KbxSrx/Mobile%20Uploads/Drone/screen_69877ee6e99ad56b_1477869248000_zpsjawxob0j. jpg (http://s211.photobucket.com/user/KbxSrx/media/Mobile%20Uploads/Drone/screen_69877ee6e99ad56b_1477869248000_zpsjawxob0j. jpg.html)
I LOVE this area of the province :)

Ken07AOVette
11-23-2016, 07:57 PM
I LOVE this area of the province :)

You say this all the time, yet you have never dropped by!

Are you coming fishing in BC with me next summer?

Zip-in-Z
11-23-2016, 08:11 PM
You say this all the time, yet you have never dropped by!

Are you coming fishing in BC with me next summer?

Is that an open invite to all on A/O ?? or just your BFF ????

does it ALL outdoors
11-23-2016, 09:08 PM
I'm willing to bet the ones crying the most about privacy are the same kind of person that will give an app full access over their cell phone without batting an eye when downloading a new app. Contacts, emails, photos, call history and location details. Giving a total stranger full access to your cell phone is ok, but drones BAD!

Ken07AOVette
11-23-2016, 09:15 PM
Is that an open invite to all on A/O ?? or just your BFF ????

well, not all.....lol

some I would leave out there swimming for cannonballs :sHa_sarcasticlol:

Seriously though, I am going in early June, first 2 weeks of July, once early to mid august. Anyone that wants to go, get ahold of me!!

Ken07AOVette
11-23-2016, 09:18 PM
I'm willing to bet the ones crying the most about privacy are the same kind of person that will give an app full access over their cell phone without batting an eye when downloading a new app. Contacts, emails, photos, call history and location details. Giving a total stranger full access to your cell phone is ok, but drones BAD!

Are you kidding? Cell phones are the devil! :scared0015:

The old paranoids don't use cell phones, if they do they are a flip phone, no camera, no data. 'we fear change' :sHa_sarcasticlol:

JDK71
11-24-2016, 09:10 AM

If more people would use them for right things like your self this would not be a discussion. This was not directed at responsible users sorry about hurting your feelings

bobtodrick
11-24-2016, 10:04 AM
You may get away with more often in the country, but these laws have been in effect for many years.
When I was a lad (back in the 70's) I belonged to an RC club that flew out of Coronation Park in Edmonton (where the Science Centre now is). That was made illegal back in the 80's or 90's.
This is a Transport Canada issue and laws were instituted across the country.
I know I once witnessed an idiot buzzing traffic on 111ave (which borders Coronation Park) with an RC plane.
Jerks like this across the country ruined it for all.

Skybuster
11-24-2016, 11:00 AM
well, not all.....lol

some I would leave out there swimming for cannonballs :sHa_sarcasticlol:

Seriously though, I am going in early June, first 2 weeks of July, once early to mid august. Anyone that wants to go, get ahold of me!!

Hey Ken, do you have your own boat, or do you go with Jamie?

Ken07AOVette
11-24-2016, 04:27 PM
If more people would use them for right things like your self this would not be a discussion. This was not directed at responsible users sorry about hurting your feelings

no hurt feelings report filing required, I don't care what others think about them, but when they show interest I like to help. If they show ignorance I don't mind educating, and when they show anger and aggression the real fun starts lol. :fighting0074:

Ken07AOVette
11-24-2016, 04:32 PM
Hey Ken, do you have your own boat, or do you go with Jamie?

I have my own boat now, Jamie is no longer in business. When I was ready to go in '15 I had the dates lined up and he told me he closed the doors. By then I was way too interested in fishing cold salt, so I drove to Northern Quebec and bought this. http://i211.photobucket.com/albums/bb267/KbxSrx/boats/20150907_170454_zpsrftkbwek.jpg (http://s211.photobucket.com/user/KbxSrx/media/boats/20150907_170454_zpsrftkbwek.jpg.html)

This summer will be my 3rd year going in my own boat. (sorry for the derail OP) I absolutely am going to take a drone or 2 this summer for some very cool footage.

Flanny
11-24-2016, 05:44 PM
That's one hell of a drive. I mean we don't really live close to saltwater but still....

To re-rail this train I'll ask what about the larger drones paired with a FLIR camera? I'd be more worried about that during hunting season than a drone with a regular camera. I see so many people on youtube, especially sailing, that drones make so much sense for.

Flanny

Ken07AOVette
11-24-2016, 05:49 PM
That's one hell of a drive. I mean we don't really live close to saltwater but still....

To re-rail this train I'll ask what about the larger drones paired with a FLIR camera? I'd be more worried about that during hunting season than a drone with a regular camera. I see so many people on youtube, especially sailing, that drones make so much sense for.

Flanny

FLIR and TIC work very well on drones, but you need a big drone for the weight of a good cam, so I don't think you are going to see a lot of them flying around. There could be some unscrupulous guides that might think about it, but at $20g and up per unit for a moving target, i wouldn't worry too much.

GeoTrekr
11-24-2016, 09:09 PM
In August I listened on the radio as a certain "eager" Kananaskis Conservation Officer had the dispatcher read the appropriate section of whatever Act/Regulation pertained to remote control aircraft, itching to find something wrong with it. There wasn't.

For all the bear-awareness being hammered into everyone that week, I also found it quite hypocritical that the campground "bearproof" dumpster was packed solid and overflowing with garbage bags for the first 3 days solid of the week before a truck finally came to empty it...

Ken07AOVette
11-26-2016, 06:52 PM
In August I listened on the radio as a certain "eager" Kananaskis Conservation Officer had the dispatcher read the appropriate section of whatever Act/Regulation pertained to remote control aircraft, itching to find something wrong with it. There wasn't.

For all the bear-awareness being hammered into everyone that week, I also found it quite hypocritical that the campground "bearproof" dumpster was packed solid and overflowing with garbage bags for the first 3 days solid of the week before a truck finally came to empty it...

brilliant wow

Yycadm
11-26-2016, 09:46 PM
Now with all the hype about drones ,thease people make up a law to suit them selves and tell us we cant fly them anywhere , so l ask , what about the RC planes ,helicoptors and large jets , some of thease jets are 5ft in lenth , and been flying for years in open fields and large parks.
Now is it just because a drone has a camera and thease people are afraid someone is going to take pics of the ole lady naked in the backyard etc.
This is completely bull crap , how bout the Globle news helicopter , flys over the airport every day low , and the police helicopter the same.
How can one group of people tell another group of people what they can or cannot do.
Now with thease new flyboards hitting the air , the ones that carry a man and scoot around the air like superman , what they gonna do about them , the Govts already bought some and the police too
lts okay for them but nobody else , do we see a dictatorship here
Anyone here from the Airdrea RC plane club , whats your thoughts , have you been tossed new rules.
How can anyone own free airspace , we cant own the air we breath , your not trespassing by flying over Nenshies house , no more then the cops helicopter.
l understand the rules for the airport and military stations ,but over rds and in open fields , l don't see a problem.
We cant drive our Quads anywhere ,not even on a back country gravel rd , that's what there made for , to many rules by a anti fun group that crys and whines about fun toys that they don't have ,but want to stop anyone else from enjoying them so they lobby the Govt into making a law to outlaw them all.
l don't own either one of them , but it just seems its getting rediculas banning thease toys that are part of new technology.

HERES what l,d like to see , why not ban all thease bludy IPODS and PHONE people running around takin videos and pics of everyone ,IS THAT NOT AN INVASION OF PRIVACY , and how about the goofs walking down the street thumbing away texting or playing the ldiot POKYMAN game .
Com,on , what a bunch of crap.
We cant fly a drone over the pine trees in the forest , ohhhhh , now your spotting game , no end to the laws they can make up to suit them selves is there.

TIME TO FIGHT BACK.

Well. Quite a rant...a lot of it misinformed, too. I spent close to 40 years in the aviation industry, all involved in either air traffic control or airport operations management at that big airport between Airdrie & Calgary...you know the one...

There are a few BIG differences between the Global news helicopter, or the Police helicopter...They fly over the airport because they are in CONSTANT communication with the tower...that is, the guy (or girl) flying IN the helicopter is talking to the guy (or Girl) responsible for monitoring whats going on in that positively controlled airspace. Flying a drone, UAV, or any other model aircraft, you don't have that advantage.

These laws regarding R/C aircraft and/or drones are NOT new; some parts are almost 30 years old! There has been no real reason to be heavy-handed with the regulations because for the most part, model aircraft pilots have been smart, professional & respectful of the fact that should their aircraft impact with a full size aircraft; they are out an airplane; the people IN the full size aircraft could lose their lives. Drones seem to have turned off the common sense and courtesy that's always been a part of that hobby, and brought out the idiots in droves. Hovering a drone 200 feet off the ground in the approach path to a runway is INCREDIBLY stupid & dangerous, and it happens ALL THE TIME. The Airdrie flying club is looking for a new venue because Calgary International Airport opened a new, 1/2 BILLION dollar runway a couple of years ago, and the approach path for that runway goes right over the old flying site. The rules & laws governing operations of R/C airplanes near airports have been in place for decades; before the new runway was built, Airdrie was outside the "no fly" zone; now it isn't. Simple. The Airdrie Flying Club executive was also FULLY aware of that fact nearly 10 years ago when the initial planning phase for the new runway began. Anyone on the Executive then that tells you different either missed that meeting, slept through it, or is lying.

Before you start spouting some B.S. about a drone weighing a few pounds, hitting a jet and not POSSIBLY doing any damage to it, let me tell you something; 747's, Cessnas and EVERYTHING in between have crashed due to hitting birds that weigh half as much. I can't even count the number of times I've sat in an Emergency vehicle on the side of a runway at the airport, waiting for an aircraft that hit a bird, or an R/C aircraft, declared an emergency and was coming in with an engine out, control surfaces not working, a big freaking hole blown through the cockpit window, etc. etc. Each time, there was a good chance that things would go south & people could DIE. Anyone that thinks any part of that is a good idea, or that your rights have somehow been stepped on...I don't even have words adequate to describe what a monumental IDIOT that makes you.

The airport has been in that location since the 1930's...all 5500 acres of it. LONG before there was any such thing as a radio controlled airplane. It employs more than 20,000 people, and generates more revenue in the Calgary area than any other business or industry. The rules surrounding airports & their operations have been around just as long. No one is jamming ANYTHING down your throat; It's no ones fault but your own that you haven't educated yourself on them, even a little bit.

"Flyboards"??? What in bloody hell are you talking about??? People zipping around like Superman??? You're watching too much T.V. my friend.

No one owns the airspace, that's true. The Federal Government is obliged by a number of International treaties & agreements to manage and control it for the safety of the travelling public. Have you ever flown on a commercial aircraft? did you feel safe, free from worrying about another airplane running into yours?

You should, and you can thank the Federal Government for that. As for privacy...once again, educate yourself; the only place you can legally expect the right of privacy is within your residence. The second you step outdoors, you no longer have a reasonable expectation of privacy...the Supreme Court has ruled on that, years ago.

I for one am VERY glad that you don't own either a quad or a drone. With the way your head works, based on the utter nonsence you spouted in your post, you're DANGEROUS. I don't want to be within 10 miles of you if you were out on a quad "having fun", or God forbid, flying a drone anywhere.

I've built & flown UAV's (the proper name for them; Unmanned Aerial Vehicles, not "Drones") for about 15 years now, LONG before they became something on everyone's Christmas list. I'm not at ALL upset by some new regulations being brought in to support others that have been in place for years; there are far too many Dead-heads buying & flying UAV's in all kinds of places where with a half second of actually THINKING about what they're doing & where, a reasonable person would immediately realize it's a bad/dangerous idea. Just because you CAN do something, and MAY get away with it, doesn't mean you SHOULD.

Sigh...sorry for the rant, everyone. As a long time R/C aviation enthusiat, and a long time AVIATION enthusiast, I've seen an ever-increasing number of people with this very same mindset over the last few years, & it makes me a bit nuts, because I've also seen enough innocent people hurt or killed because of some joker saying "Hold my Beer & watch THIS!!"