PDA

View Full Version : Yaha Tinda Elk?

wylecoyote123
02-24-2007, 07:24 PM
Has anybody heard about the elk in this area this year? Two years ago I hunted there with my dad who had a tag drawn and the week we went we didn't see one legal bull. And only two other bulls and maybe a handfull of cows. I have a high priority on my elk draw and would be interested to know if the elk are doing good in the area. On an earlier post someone mentioned that they were studying the effect of the wolves on the elk in this area. Anyone know anything? Thanks.

fishnutz4ever
02-24-2007, 09:31 PM
Here is a link on that very same topic on another board. Hope this helps. albertagame.com/boards/vi...php?t=2908 (http://albertagame.com/boards/viewtopic.php?t=2908)

bigbore
02-24-2007, 11:22 PM
whoaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa there a cheap shot if i ever seen one:|

fishnutz4ever
02-25-2007, 12:26 AM
How is that a cheapshot BB?:rolleyes Just trying to help a fella out with some info.

forum
02-25-2007, 01:16 AM
think he might be meaning that The Admin of this forum pays for this forum, for info to be spread through out this forum, not to be re-linked to another forum.

fishnutz4ever
02-25-2007, 10:45 AM
Well in that case, my apologies to the Admin.:o Not my intent to "cheap shot". The same question was posed on this other board and some good info discussed. I thought I'd pass it on. I guess not the right thing to do. Thanks Elkfever.

Jamie Hunt
02-25-2007, 10:56 AM
Fish, personaly I dont see the problem. But then its not my board. I am interested to see what some of the mods have to say about it.

Jamie

?
02-25-2007, 01:41 PM
I don't see anything wrong with it. I see it often on other boards. It's just sharing information.

Grizzly Adams
02-25-2007, 02:40 PM
Between Wolves, Natives and the 24 % hunters get, the Ya Ha tinda elk are having a rough time. I think you have to have a 7 to count on being drawn there now, for bulls. there haven't been any cow draws for a number of years. As well, the biologists are trying to encourage the elk to use other habitat and not over graze the ranch. The much vaunted cut blocks north of the ranch, which were a buck for Wildlife project with Sunpine seem to interest them only during hunting season,according the the biologist.
Grizz

Non-resident shoot way to many in the Ya-ha
02-25-2007, 03:15 PM
I've checked some outfitter sites boasting 90% shooting opportunity and averaging 75% kill on 300 Plus b&c bulls in Ya-ha and area, doesn't sound too good for the elk. In 2004 21 allocations were given for non-residents in Ya-Ha while only 70 were given to residents. Resident harvest has been averaging around 5 percent and up to 10 percent success in the good years. At that rate non-resident harvest exceeds the resident harvest by almost 30 percent when taking into consideration just the rifle season allocations (14 allocations when it should only be 7) alone. No wonder there are less elk than there should be. If non-residents were limited to 10 percent of the tags there would be six more bulls left over every year according to these stats.

Obviously if there are not enough elk for resident hunters in YaHa its time to shut down the non-resident season till the elk come back, then they should only be allowed 10 percent of the tags. I wouldn't expect any guide/outfitter to agree with me on this however.

wylecoyote123
02-25-2007, 07:08 PM
Thanks for the info I believe I am a 7 so I could get drawn this year. Don't really know where else to apply, I applied there because that's the only area my dad has ever hunted elk. Where else would be a good zone to apply in for a guy with a high priority. I am not asking for specific spots and I know most guys like to guard their zones but any info would be appreciated. Thanks.

Rackmastr
02-25-2007, 09:06 PM
I think its closer to a 5 or a 6 to get drawn in 418 last year.....

jrs
02-25-2007, 09:46 PM
A friend of mine used to hunt there in the 1970's and tells the stories of 2 week horse trips and huge bulls. They also hunted sheep and took many book rams out of an area not too far off the elk country. He said even back then a guy had to work hard to get a big bull. Not sure what any of his elk scored but they look huge in his pics and he was going to throw them up on his new shed, will see how big they look then. Lots of good stories. I've heard its gone downhill since then.

Jamie Hunt
02-25-2007, 09:57 PM
Wasent the #1 elk in Alberta taken just down the road?

Jamie

Jamie
02-25-2007, 10:25 PM
Just over the ridge in 416 I wouldn't say down the road however. Last time I hunted up there was only a couple years ago and I had no problem finding legal bulls. Only ran into 4 resident hunters but came across two guides and three non-resident hunters who were not happy to have the added company on the slopes.

Tree Guy
02-25-2007, 11:19 PM
Is there any substance to a rumor I heard about some of the Ya-Ha-Tinda elk being relocated to the Grand Prarie region? I've heard some fairly good things about the elk in GP.

Jamie Hunt
02-25-2007, 11:21 PM
Hunter. do you know the whole story on that Elk? If so could you share. Its a great animal

Jamie

Jamie
02-26-2007, 12:48 AM
I think the story may be found in the latest copy of the AFGA records which came out a few years ago.

bucknaked333
02-26-2007, 03:32 AM
I had a friend hunted there a couple years ago and thats all he can talk about, elk every hill you can find, and big... He shot a 340 class elk 400 yards from camp and passed on a few legal bulls. He said 4 friends in camp shot rams on opening day and had pics to show, I am saving my points for there, seems as good as any... any legal 6 point bull from there is good enough for me.. just what the luck...

re:yaha elk
02-27-2007, 01:53 PM
I grew up in sundre, drawn 4 times never shot an elk in yaha, not for lack of trying,{ not big enough} the 6 pt rule is a joke along with the outfitters whining about the locals hunting there,they think they own the country, probable won"t hunt there.

packhuntr
03-17-2007, 02:58 PM
One tag given to the outfitters is too many. If the herd cannot sustain a resident harvest, and we have to sit on a draw, the tags aloted should create opportunity for residents. Dont want to sound greedy, but lets send them north where theres more animals, ie; whitetails. I dont think residents really need outfitters and all the problems that come with them, especially on some of the more vulnerable species like antelope, and our southern muledeer, The list goes on, just look at what Sask residents are hammering for mules, and goats. If guys wanna guide, they have ta go north.

sorry fellas, my two bits

keep a strain on er.

Delburnedave
03-17-2007, 03:16 PM
I think hunting elk in 418 is like any other hunting; success will depend many factors, the type of year its been, weather, hunting style and plain old luck. One thing I've heard alot of people talk about is the 6 point rule creating a 5 point herd. I don't know of any scientific prooof of this, but I do know when I was drawn about six years ago we saw many 5 point bulls we couldn't shoot that were alot bigger than the 6 point I ended up shooting. Anyone else know anything about this?

nube
03-17-2007, 09:39 PM
You must live down South Packhuntr. You must not know much about the whole thing or you would not have said what you did.

packhuntr
03-18-2007, 03:55 PM
Ya, sorry nube, and anyone else. I have a brother who guides for a pretty bad outfit. I havent talked to him in afew yrs. Alittle soured up, and have seen the worst. But your right, I really dont know the goings on right in there, and besides that, probuably shouldnt group all guides in the same.

keep a strain on er.

moosefever
03-19-2007, 05:07 PM
Not to sure about the YA HA, but I have a few friends who used to regularly hunt the canary, hummingbird, ranger and lost guide lake area. They too said that there are some monster 5 pointers there and that they should have a limited draw for them as they probably genetically that way and they are becoming the dominant species out there.

Grizzly Adams
03-22-2007, 08:30 PM
Hhttp://pic20.picturetrail.com/VOL1230/4210318/8819103/239968750.jpgTML
Hope this works. These are a couple of pick ups from the Ya Ha. The dagger point on the right one is 18 in. long, but, given the 6 point rule, you might end up arguing with the fish cops, if the other side is similar.:rollin
Grizz