PDA

View Full Version : Cherry Grove Big Buck Worth A 4.5 Hr Drive

OpenSights
12-05-2016, 07:12 PM
Live near Red Deer and was thinking of going. Is it a big/good enough show to make the drive and stay in a hotel?

Hate to drive all the way up there with my dad and young son to find out you can walk through the show in 30 mins.

Let me know what you think if you have gone in years past.

coolpool
12-06-2016, 07:34 AM
As one of the show organizers, I'd say if you want to see some of the top animals from Alberta and Saskatchewan then this show is for you. Without doing the math, I'd say we average 90 heads per year through the door! On top of that, we'll be raffling off two guns during the show and offer many door prizes, including a $5000 home heating system, as well as prizes for unused whitetail tags. It's a small community center and can get quite crowded at times but we make do. I agree it's a bit of a haul to head North but what else is there to do while we wait for the ice to grow :sHa_shakeshout:

super7mag
12-06-2016, 08:56 AM
I haven't made it for a couple years now because of other commitments, but it is one of the better shows out there for sure. There are some amazing racks that come thru those doors year after year. They keep getting the door prizes rolling thru out the night, not sure what you are expecting but a day out with your Dad and your son I think would be quite enjoyable.

Giles
12-06-2016, 11:06 AM
If you are the guy that had that monster cranker typical whitetail that was at the Delburne Big Buck night then I would say it is well worth your time to go ! I have always wanted to go to but it is a bit of a drive .

knacker
12-06-2016, 02:53 PM
I never heard of this show until now. Checked the website and looks like fun. I assume the entries are for current year harvests only?

coolpool
12-06-2016, 03:17 PM
I never heard of this show until now. Checked the website and looks like fun. I assume the entries are for current year harvests only?

Yes, this years harvest only.

nube
12-06-2016, 03:24 PM
Is it true that the winner of one of your top deer last year was given to a Native hunter that used his rights to hunt and the animal was not tagged? I had heard that is what happened but it could have been as story as well.....?

knacker
12-06-2016, 03:34 PM
Thanks for the reply.

nube
12-06-2016, 05:02 PM
Is it true that the winner of one of your top deer last year was given to a Native hunter that used his rights to hunt and the animal was not tagged? I had heard that is what happened but it could have been as story as well.....?

Was this true CoolPool?

coolpool
12-06-2016, 09:46 PM
Was this true CoolPool?

What I can tell you about that winning deer is that it was tagged in Sask and the hunter had a valid Sask hunting licence. We require all entrants to provide proof of licencing to enter a rack in the show.

dickthomson
12-07-2016, 10:11 PM
This show is top notch and we'll organised. I won the non typical division a few years ago. The organisers have the up most integrity. I witnessed this first hand as my deer originally came second. A few months later it came to the committee attention that the original winning deer had been harvested illegally. They contacted me immediately and informed me that I was telling rightful winner. By a few months I mean the end of March. They likely could.habe just let it slide and I most likely wouldn't have known but they contacted me an even arranged for me to gather that years first place prize. So don't worry about silly rumours about the integrity ( or lack there of) of this show come up and have a good time.

Giles
12-10-2016, 10:23 PM
Any results and pics from the show ?

coolpool
12-11-2016, 08:08 AM
You bet Giles, pictures and results will be posted on our Facebook page and on our website. Unofficially we had 104 heads come in with some truly big monsters amongst them. Stay tuned!

OpenSights
12-11-2016, 03:04 PM
I made the 4.5 hour drive. Lots of big deer up in your way of the prov. Great show and worth the drive.

You need a larger venue for the show with that many people showing up.

It was hard seeing all the racks with so many in a small area and some having to go on the floor.

Great show though.

deercamp
12-12-2016, 07:29 AM
188 net typical is an unreal whitetail, looking forward to some pics

coolpool
12-12-2016, 07:53 AM
I made the 4.5 hour drive. Lots of big deer up in your way of the prov. Great show and worth the drive.

You need a larger venue for the show with that many people showing up.

It was hard seeing all the racks with so many in a small area and some having to go on the floor.

Great show though.

Glad you made it up and enjoyed the show. This had to be one of our best year for seeing big scores, truly amazing!

We've contemplated moving to a larger venue but that's not without risks. The show originated in Cherry Grove and we'd really like to keep it there to maintain a sense of community. If we move to a larger building, a couple of issues come to mind: 1. They would want rent in the tune of 1K+; and that would affect the amount we could give to charity, and 2, we wouldn't be big enough to fill the space and it would look empty and un-inviting. Agreed it's a bit "cozy" in the smaller community centre, but we fill the space up nicely and it's manageable for our volunteers for setting up and tearing down/cleaning. Spread the word as we hope next years show is as exciting as this years!

Giles
12-12-2016, 12:21 PM
188 net typical is an unreal whitetail, looking forward to some pics

Yes it is , He had the buck at the Delburne Big Buck night and I got to hold it there it is a world class 5x5 ! It has to be one of the biggest typical whitetails taken in 2016.

HunterDan
12-12-2016, 08:58 PM
HERE IS THE LIST OF WINNERS FROM THE SHOW!
I'll Post picks later this week.

Animal Type Group Name Gross score Net Score
Moose All Robert Hanes 195 1/8 190 7/8
Non-typ Mule Deer Mens Chad Payne 214 212
Non-typ Whitetail Deer Ladies Chelsea Pretty 190 7/8 179 7/8
Non-typ Whitetail Deer Mens Randy Erickson 202 1/4 193 1/4
Non-typ Whitetail Deer Youth Dryden Beaubien 178 3/4 172 7/8
ELK All Shannon Leskiw 373 3/8 352 3/4
Typical Mule Deer Ladies Alysha Johnson Derewyrika 196 1/8 190
Typical Mule Deer Mens Robert Hanes 183 1/4 171 1/8
Typical Mule Deer Youth Gracie Lodoen 169 1/4 156 7/8
Typical whitetail Deer Ladies Diane Kervin 190 7/8 180 3/8
Typical whitetail Deer Men Gerald Lawrence 197 5/8 188
Typical whitetail Deer Youth Gracie Lodoen 157 7/8 154

whitetail Junkie
12-13-2016, 12:14 AM
Wow that's some big whitetail....That bull moose is a honker aswell!

Congrats to the hunters and the success of your guys local horn show!