PDA

View Full Version : Overnight setups in ice fishing tents. Let's see them

sureshot
12-07-2016, 11:33 PM
Since it's that time of year again I thought it would be interesting to see how everyone sets up their tents for overnights on the ice. This will be my first year for overnight on the ice.

RavYak
12-08-2016, 12:38 AM
Overnight necessities are as follows.

Big tent: 6120i has a nice layout for overnighters, fatfish 9416i are good too. 6 mans like a quickfish 6 are ok but kind of tricky to fit 2 people in depending on cot sizes and gear. I really like the 6120i for overnights, it is a shorter tent and insulated so keeps the tent warm and the heat low. You can arrange one cot on each side and have an open space in the middle to get in and out and move around, also allows you to have heater in the middle(we put it in middle at one end) so both people are equally warm. On the tent side of cot can drill 2 holes each(1 in each corner) and have room for flasher, jaw jackers etc in that space.

Cots: A must have, tent temperatures range from freezing at ground level to probably 20 deg at the roof. They higher up you get the warmer you will be.

Air mattress: The cold air is below you and without an air mattress you will feel it.

Bedding: Most people would probably want a decent sleeping bag, don't use anything too fancy though because will probably get wet or fish slimed at some point. I often just use an old blanket if it is warm enough but I am a walking furnace lol.

Floor mats: Lay these out to keep the ice from melting, increase traction and so you can remove boots.

Heater: You need a good heater, the bigger the better as you can always turn them down. Single sunflower or a big buddy with hose attachment are the way to go. Don't waste time or money with the small propane bottles. If you are using a large non insulated tent you might even want a double sunflower or just don't go out on the stupid cold days.

Cooler: If going for multiple days and spending time outside of a heated tent/vehicle you probably want a cooler to try and keep food and drinks from freezing. Make sure you bring it in the tent when possible.

Food heater: We often take a small bbq or camp stove and a jetboil. Warm food and drinks are a huge benefit especially if out for multiple days. Some people rig up their heaters to cook above them but we already had this other stuff which works better.

That is pretty much what you need minus the last 2 if just doing a simple overnight. Here are some pics of our setup when we did Lake Athabasca last year.

http://i207.photobucket.com/albums/bb267/murtyl/P2180097_1.jpg
http://i207.photobucket.com/albums/bb267/murtyl/P2180107.jpg
http://i207.photobucket.com/albums/bb267/murtyl/P2180110.jpg

Hang clothes from the roof to keep them warm and dry.

http://i207.photobucket.com/albums/bb267/murtyl/P2180104.jpg

sureshot
12-08-2016, 12:50 AM
Cool pics. I have a quickfish 6, 2 buddy heaters which I'll run off of a 20lb tank. Was also thinking of rigging it up with the silver insulation.

Battery
12-08-2016, 08:57 AM
No pics of ours, but we have a 4-6 man (cant remember how big) Insulated Otter ice shelter. Fit 3 cots side by side with a propane tank at our feet and one of those big heaters that sits on top. Put down those puzzle pieces for the floor. We did have a second heated tent for fishing. Nice and cozy!

Kingfisher8
12-08-2016, 10:17 AM
Ice fishing In Feb

RavYak
12-08-2016, 10:44 AM
Cool pics. I have a quickfish 6, 2 buddy heaters which I'll run off of a 20lb tank. Was also thinking of rigging it up with the silver insulation.

I have the quickfish 6 with insulated roof. It isn't quite long enough to put both of our cots lengthwise so what we do is put one on one side of the tent and one on the other. It doesn't hold the heat in as good as our 6120i but I slept in it on Cold Lake with -30 and wind blowing, I had to sleep with the heater just a coupe feet away but I was warm.

That is actually one key to staying warm, if you orient yourself so you can absorb some of the heat directly instead of just relying on the inside temperature to be warm then you can get by on using a lot less propane. Part of why I like using my old green banket as the dark colour absorbs the infrared heat and keeps it warm even though there isn't really that much insulation quality.

With two buddy heaters, one at each end you should be toasty warm I would think.

ak-71
12-08-2016, 10:57 AM
I kept it semi-simple tent, cote (not for warmth but to be further from the water), sleeping mat (the foam one with reflective side) and -35C rated bag with liner, covering the ice is good too. I keep heater off when sleeping - more moisture, not very safe and not necessary with a good bag. One reason to keep it on is to keep hole and drinking water from freezing, but closing the hole usually works and for water - I remelt ice from cutting large soda bottles when they freeze (easier than melting snow and I don't trust boiling lake water here).
The coldest temp I actually tested my sleeping setup was below -40C in a backyard, and if you have poor sleeping mat water vapor from body makes sleeping bag to freeze to the mat and somewhat cool to sleep. So good mat is important. Ventilation is important too. Sleeping bag may have some frost on the outer shell, but it's normal, easy to shake off in the morning and doesn't mean it's cold to sleep.

muzzy
12-08-2016, 12:08 PM
You forgot a portapotty or a 5 gal pail with garbage bag and toilet seat. And take the bag away with you please

huntsfurfish
12-08-2016, 12:19 PM
You forgot a portapotty or a 5 gal pail with garbage bag and toilet seat. And take the bag away with you please

Agree! Very good suggestion. And worth repeating.

RavYak
12-08-2016, 12:44 PM
Yes if you are fishing busy lakes a garbage bag or toilet system is good to have. Even on remote lakes try to find somewhere that other people aren't going to stumble upon your deed...

ak-71
12-08-2016, 04:36 PM
Yes if you are fishing busy lakes a garbage bag or toilet system is good to have. Even on remote lakes try to find somewhere that other people aren't going to stumble upon your deed...

Half drilled hole is an accepted compromise, if properly filled? If lakes are so busy that it's not acceptable - these lakes are not worthy going to.
PS. BTW, forgot to note - 10in augers are the best if you choose to be serious about ice fishing, hole doesn't freeze for longer, and much more entertaining if you fish shallow.

neilsledder
12-08-2016, 06:03 PM
Went once last year but planning more this. I don't camp on the ice but use an outfitters tent on shore. We quad into a nice sized lake and set it up. That way we can sleep and stay comfortable with the wood stove. The down fall is no fishing all night long!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

biggyJ
12-08-2016, 06:10 PM
What do you do about CO?

We stayed in the ice last year, and I had a horrible sleep because I kept thinking I wouldn't wake up with the big buddy on.

We had vents, but I was still worried.

Supergrit
12-08-2016, 06:13 PM
Anyone ever try a zodi tent heater it would be safer and probably cut down on your condensation inside the tent.

Kurt505
12-08-2016, 06:38 PM
Went once last year but planning more this. I don't camp on the ice but use an outfitters tent on shore. We quad into a nice sized lake and set it up. That way we can sleep and stay comfortable with the wood stove. The down fall is no fishing all night long!

Why not set up on the ice? I was thinking about taking my tent out on the ice this winter, was thinking maybe just laying out some plywood on the ice.

neilsledder
12-08-2016, 07:11 PM
Why not set up on the ice? I was thinking about taking my tent out on the ice this winter, was thinking maybe just laying out some plywood on the ice.

I don't have the metal pole tent frame, and there is already a hunting camp on the edge of the lake.

Dragless
12-08-2016, 07:21 PM
My friend says he's put up his outfitters tent on slave a few times I don't know how he said it up tho something about drilling a bunch of diagonal holes in the ice and 2x3 boards... He said worked really good tho.

neilsledder
12-08-2016, 07:35 PM
My friend says he's put up his outfitters tent on slave a few times I don't know how he said it up tho something about drilling a bunch of diagonal holes in the ice and 2x3 boards... He said worked really good tho.

That would work good!

7magtime
12-10-2016, 08:02 PM
Overnight necessities are as follows.

Big tent: 6120i has a nice layout for overnighters, fatfish 9416i are good too. 6 mans like a quickfish 6 are ok but kind of tricky to fit 2 people in depending on cot sizes and gear. I really like the 6120i for overnights, it is a shorter tent and insulated so keeps the tent warm and the heat low. You can arrange one cot on each side and have an open space in the middle to get in and out and move around, also allows you to have heater in the middle(we put it in middle at one end) so both people are equally warm. On the tent side of cot can drill 2 holes each(1 in each corner) and have room for flasher, jaw jackers etc in that space.

Cots: A must have, tent temperatures range from freezing at ground level to probably 20 deg at the roof. They higher up you get the warmer you will be.

Air mattress: The cold air is below you and without an air mattress you will feel it.

Bedding: Most people would probably want a decent sleeping bag, don't use anything too fancy though because will probably get wet or fish slimed at some point. I often just use an old blanket if it is warm enough but I am a walking furnace lol.

Floor mats: Lay these out to keep the ice from melting, increase traction and so you can remove boots.

Heater: You need a good heater, the bigger the better as you can always turn them down. Single sunflower or a big buddy with hose attachment are the way to go. Don't waste time or money with the small propane bottles. If you are using a large non insulated tent you might even want a double sunflower or just don't go out on the stupid cold days.

Cooler: If going for multiple days and spending time outside of a heated tent/vehicle you probably want a cooler to try and keep food and drinks from freezing. Make sure you bring it in the tent when possible.

Food heater: We often take a small bbq or camp stove and a jetboil. Warm food and drinks are a huge benefit especially if out for multiple days. Some people rig up their heaters to cook above them but we already had this other stuff which works better.

That is pretty much what you need minus the last 2 if just doing a simple overnight. Here are some pics of our setup when we did Lake Athabasca last year.

http://i207.photobucket.com/albums/bb267/murtyl/P2180097_1.jpg
http://i207.photobucket.com/albums/bb267/murtyl/P2180107.jpg
http://i207.photobucket.com/albums/bb267/murtyl/P2180110.jpg

Hang clothes from the roof to keep them warm and dry.

http://i207.photobucket.com/albums/bb267/murtyl/P2180104.jpg

Great gear info and pics RavYak! I've been considering trying an overnight or 2 with my 9416. Have most of the gear you mentioned, might have to give it a go this season.....

Willowtrail
12-10-2016, 11:59 PM
Great gear info and pics RavYak! I've been considering trying an overnight or 2 with my 9416. Have most of the gear you mentioned, might have to give it a go this season.....

When I stay over night and can drive on, I take sheets of osb for a floor. Helps keep my feet dry in the middle of the night when I have to run to the can.

I also raise my buddy heater up on a milk crate so it doesn't warm the plywood and melt the ice underneath. It create sloppy plywood with lots of water underneath.

I run a couple battery powered fan/light combos on the ceiling. Put them on the roof poles and angle them to circulate the air.

We've been doing over night trips for 5 years now, every year we think of a few things to make it easier, more convenient and comfortable.

7magtime
12-11-2016, 05:03 AM
When I stay over night and can drive on, I take sheets of osb for a floor. Helps keep my feet dry in the middle of the night when I have to run to the can.

I also raise my buddy heater up on a milk crate so it doesn't warm the plywood and melt the ice underneath. It create sloppy plywood with lots of water underneath.

I run a couple battery powered fan/light combos on the ceiling. Put them on the roof poles and angle them to circulate the air.

We've been doing over night trips for 5 years now, every year we think of a few things to make it easier, more convenient and comfortable.

Great info Willowtrail, thanks for sharing!

Robbiej
12-11-2016, 08:39 AM
I am still finishing mine (overnight camper not tent) but here is a picture of the "bench end". The table collapses and there are boards behind the cushion that turn the back half of this trailer into a 6'x6' bed. The two holes on the hitch end can still be used when the bed is made. Haven't taken it for its maiden voyage/over night trip yet; should be done next week
http://i68.tinypic.com/2mzcsva.jpg

Vacation
12-11-2016, 09:33 AM
Camper looks real nice

Andy44
12-11-2016, 02:33 PM
Has anyone here ever used the Otter Outdoors Resort before? I'm looking at getting a giant hub for 2-3 of us to do overnight trips with and I'd love to hear a first hand opinion from someone who's used/owned one.

Bigwoodsman
12-11-2016, 02:56 PM
Wondering if anyone has tried draping a huge tarp over a ice tent to help reduce condensation? I'm thinking it would create an air space between the tent an the elements. Any thoughts.

BW

bearhunting
12-11-2016, 03:06 PM
Willowtrail sets up right ,I was lucky enough to meet up with them last season on cold lake ,I was very impressed with his setup and how comfortable it was,( I learned a lot) this year I will be heading back up for a few days,to stay on the ice . I have bought a 12x14 wall tent and am now building a metal frame for it ,ply wood floor and a wood stove,and perhaps a bucket of coal , two battery powered fan/light units.

I can hardy wait to try out the new setup (i know its not real portable but it should be very comfortable )

:bad_boys_20:

RavYak
12-11-2016, 03:45 PM
Wondering if anyone has tried draping a huge tarp over a ice tent to help reduce condensation? I'm thinking it would create an air space between the tent an the elements. Any thoughts.

BW

Wouldn't help that much, ultimately the temperature on the outside of the tent is going to be the factor and a simple tarp isn't going to change it that much.

I haven't found condensation to be an issue. Only time it kind of sucks is if it gets really cold and all the moisture freezes to the rough and then it warms up and starts dripping on you but that isn't that common and usually only drips for a short period. You can always crank up the heat for a bit to speed that dripping up if you are experiencing it.

Poppa
10-12-2021, 02:55 PM
Has anyone here ever used the Otter Outdoors Resort before? I'm looking at getting a giant hub for 2-3 of us to do overnight trips with and I'd love to hear a first hand opinion from someone who's used/owned one.

Sorry to necro-post, but I'm starting to think about ice fishing season. My wife and I are going to camp on the ice this year for the first time. We currently have a basic, non-insulated double-bubble Eskimo tent. It's good enough to get the job done, but we're thinking about upgrading to a bigger insulated unit that will have more space for sleeping/camping. The Otter Resort is what we were thinking might be best, but I'm wondering if Andy or anyone else has camped with two people on the ice and has any thoughts about what tent works best...?

Thanks in advance - can't wait for things to start locking up!!

AlbertanGP
10-12-2021, 05:21 PM
I don't have a hexagonal style hub shelter like the Otter Vortex Resort. I do plan on getting one this year to overnight camp by myself. What I have and use when I take my son out is an Eskimo 9416i. I've also camped myself in my Otter Vortex Lodge.

The typical 8'X8" shelters are pretty small even for solo camping. You can see videos on YT where guys do it, but it's really cramped if you have lots of toys (electronic's, etc.). The 8'X14" shelters like my 9416i or the Otter Vortex Monster Lodge work really well since you can use half for sleeping quarters and the other half like a normal 8'X8' Lodge for fishing. I feel like it's almost too much for one person, which is why I want to pick up a Vortex Resort to try this season. I think the hexagonal hub may the best for me and all the crap I bring along, whether for the day or overnight.

Since you're talking about bringing your wife, you'll have to decide what your sleeping on. Two single cots seem to work fine in the Resort, but a queen air mattress or whatever would be better in the Monster Lodge. If you're not sure what style you'd prefer and there aren't any to view set up in nearby shops, tape the bottom dimensions off on a garage floor or your yard and see what meet's with the boss's approval. Good luck, and don't forget a CO monitor!

The Fisherman Guy
10-12-2021, 08:56 PM
Hardwater season is approaching fast! Had to break ice on the pond this evening to retrieve the aerator, ice fishing isn't far off.

Check out the link below with advice on how to setup for an overnighter and be safe, and sleep comfortably:

Overnight Ice Fishing Hacks Vol 1 (https://www.instagram.com/p/CKmHeHiBMGQ/?utm_source=ig_web_copy_link)

Overnight Ice Fishing Hacks Vol 2 (https://www.instagram.com/p/CKy3xuDhIav/?utm_source=ig_web_copy_link)

Poppa
10-12-2021, 09:18 PM
I don't have a hexagonal style hub shelter like the Otter Vortex Resort. I do plan on getting one this year to overnight camp by myself. What I have and use when I take my son out is an Eskimo 9416i. I've also camped myself in my Otter Vortex Lodge.

The typical 8'X8" shelters are pretty small even for solo camping. You can see videos on YT where guys do it, but it's really cramped if you have lots of toys (electronic's, etc.). The 8'X14" shelters like my 9416i or the Otter Vortex Monster Lodge work really well since you can use half for sleeping quarters and the other half like a normal 8'X8' Lodge for fishing. I feel like it's almost too much for one person, which is why I want to pick up a Vortex Resort to try this season. I think the hexagonal hub may the best for me and all the crap I bring along, whether for the day or overnight.

Since you're talking about bringing your wife, you'll have to decide what your sleeping on. Two single cots seem to work fine in the Resort, but a queen air mattress or whatever would be better in the Monster Lodge. If you're not sure what style you'd prefer and there aren't any to view set up in nearby shops, tape the bottom dimensions off on a garage floor or your yard and see what meet's with the boss's approval. Good luck, and don't forget a CO monitor!
Appreciate the feedback. We'd absolutely be doing cots and likely opposite ends and fish the middle through the night. Absolutely have CO monitor, but also use only a Buddy heater with built in CO shutoff.

AlbertanGP
10-13-2021, 08:47 AM
Appreciate the feedback. We'd absolutely be doing cots and likely opposite ends and fish the middle through the night. Absolutely have CO monitor, but also use only a Buddy heater with built in CO shutoff.

I don't recall all the details offhand, but don't ever trust the built in shutoff on a Buddy Heater. You can Google it and read until your heart's content. I turn mine off at night. But that takes the level of sleeping bag required to a whole new level.

The Fisherman Guy
10-13-2021, 12:19 PM
The sensor on the Buddy heaters is not a CO sensor, it's a low oxygen sensor.

Open both vents in the tent, and crack two windows for flow through ventilation, and use a CO detector.

58thecat
10-14-2021, 07:01 AM
The sensor on the Buddy heaters is not a CO sensor, it's a low oxygen sensor.

Open both vents in the tent, and crack two windows for flow through ventilation, and use a CO detector.

Yup.....dont be that one that takes his/her last nap.:(

Jims83cj5
10-18-2021, 09:04 PM
What do you do about CO?

We stayed in the ice last year, and I had a horrible sleep because I kept thinking I wouldn't wake up with the big buddy on.

We had vents, but I was still worried.

It’s a valid concern, I tried to use a big buddy in my cargo trailer with two vents, the low oxygen sensor kept shutting it off

Jims83cj5
10-18-2021, 09:24 PM
I use a 6x12 single axle cargo trailer. Insulated with 3/4 plywood on the sides, insulated roof and spray foamed floor, k trac on the walls with one bunk as a couch and a fold down bunk above that hooked to the tracking. A 4 kw planer diesel heater, two burner stove sites on the counter and a 600 watt solar panel set up with 4 agm batteries that run a 3000 watt inverter for the fridge and tv. Pull up the hole extensions and you can set up again in five minutes, electric auger so no fumes, I kinda like it. But sorry it’s not a tent

Lowrance Fishburn
10-19-2021, 12:28 PM
I use a 6x12 single axle cargo trailer. Insulated with 3/4 plywood on the sides, insulated roof and spray foamed floor, k trac on the walls with one bunk as a couch and a fold down bunk above that hooked to the tracking. A 4 kw planer diesel heater, two burner stove sites on the counter and a 600 watt solar panel set up with 4 agm batteries that run a 3000 watt inverter for the fridge and tv. Pull up the hole extensions and you can set up again in five minutes, electric auger so no fumes, I kinda like it. But sorry it’s not a tent

I have basically the exact same setup although we have a wood burning stove. Works great and beats any tent...Have done that too but is 1000X more effort.

cgrif
10-24-2021, 10:21 AM
Not much to explain other than I sleep like a baby. Not much better than this. Made the sleigh for pulling all my stuff. Works great. Follows my sled like a lost puppy.

cgrif
10-24-2021, 10:23 AM
Satellite radio, stove and a bar. Now it’s complete

AlbertanGP
10-24-2021, 08:44 PM
Interesting. I'd never looked that close at the Quickfish 6i...I just figured it was a FatFish 9416i with fewer features. Turns out it's two feet smaller in length and width. I presume you're camping solo in that? The square footage is essentially the same as my Otter Lodge Hub (like a FatFish 949i), and I find that too small even for solo camping. The 9416i is a mansion on the lake like Eskimo says...works really well using half for sleeping quarters and half for fishing. Still, I'm going to confirm that the Otter Resort Hub (sorta like the Outbreak 650XD) works with two cots on the ice and then sell my Otter Vortex Lodge and FatFish 9416i tents. My shop at the lake is overflowing with gear so I gotta pare down and make some room. :bad_boys_20:

cgrif
10-25-2021, 02:40 AM
I do fish solo in the above set up. It would be too close for comfort with two guys. Forgot to mention, I use foam flooring that I bought from Canadian tire. They are cheap, They look like puzzle pieces,snap together and work real well. Never had them pull apart. Plus they stow/pack real well in the sled without taking up room. They allow me to walk around the tent in crocks. Good insulation.

AlbertanGP
10-25-2021, 08:08 AM
I agree the foam squares are key, unless you want to stand in ankle deep water.

ab_hunter
10-25-2021, 04:30 PM
Interesting. I'd never looked that close at the Quickfish 6i...I just figured it was a FatFish 9416i with fewer features. Turns out it's two feet smaller in length and width. I presume you're camping solo in that? The square footage is essentially the same as my Otter Lodge Hub (like a FatFish 949i), and I find that too small even for solo camping. The 9416i is a mansion on the lake like Eskimo says...works really well using half for sleeping quarters and half for fishing. Still, I'm going to confirm that the Otter Resort Hub (sorta like the Outbreak 650XD) works with two cots on the ice and then sell my Otter Vortex Lodge and FatFish 9416i tents. My shop at the lake is overflowing with gear so I gotta pare down and make some room. :bad_boys_20:

We have an Eskimo 650XD and it fits 2 cots with plenty of room for a stove and to fish, if that helps.

North40Rules
10-25-2021, 04:53 PM
I saw this on online a few years ago and was super impressed, that guy takes it seriously

175758 175759 175760 175761
175762 175763

AlbertanGP
10-25-2021, 04:59 PM
Yeah I'm sure it's gonna be fine. The 650XD is a really nice tent as well and only slightly smaller than the Resort. I may yet wind up with one since the Otters are such a fight to get in Western Canada.

AlbertanGP
10-25-2021, 05:12 PM
I got this nice little Coleman butane stove (https://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B00VGEOJ5G/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1) for $22 on Amazon last week. Keep an eye on Today's Deals if you're a Prime member. ;)

mlee
10-25-2021, 08:00 PM
650xd here....plenty of room for 2 cots a play pen and an area for the little one. We did about 5 or 6 overnight trips last year....its a great setup. Foam floor and a big buddy and we were more than comfortable in a couple -30 nights. I don't have a full panoramic pic but you get the idea. During the day we move the cots into an L shape and use them to keep the rug rat contained lol. That may not work as well this winter.https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20211026/9216dc66403965feaf2101b2384e69b5.jpghttps://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20211026/0f651b84b35eb564364545be9ac37511.jpghttps://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20211026/14b094e1d995503641ddf63c8a2b7e40.jpg

Sent from my SM-G981W using Tapatalk

AlbertanGP
10-25-2021, 08:20 PM
I'm really looking forward to getting a hex hub. The 9416i is a great tent, but it's overkill for one person. And the Lodge is just a bit too small for all the crap I tend to bring.

On a separate note, I was just at Canadian Tire to pick up some butane for the new stove and a new CO monitor. The Kidde CO monitors are 25% off this week. The foam flooring was also on sale for a good price.

mlee
10-25-2021, 09:23 PM
You'll love it. I had to have something I could set up by myself if needed (mom gets busy lol). I can have the tent up floor in and heat going in under 10 minutes alone. If it's a snowmobile day....I go set up then come back for mom and the little one.

58thecat
10-26-2021, 09:36 AM
I should not have opened this thread up….still bird hunting and whitetail just a few days away….some great set up you folks have….awesome!

Yukongold
10-26-2021, 10:28 AM
Good setups for sure but we are not hearing the whole story of the adventures. Tell us about getting caught in a 100km gale out in the open with the wife and kids. Not trying to be a smartxxx but this is the reality when you do this on regular basis. I have been doing it a long time and shelter in the bush is much more relaxing. There are going to be trips when everything works out perfect but then again..................... Going for a night or two is one thing. Going for a week is a different ball game.

AlbertanGP
10-26-2021, 10:44 AM
Good setups for sure but we are not hearing the whole story of the adventures. Tell us about getting caught in a 100km gale out in the open with the wife and kids. Not trying to be a smartxxx but this is the reality when you do this on regular basis. I have been doing it a long time and shelter in the bush is much more relaxing. There are going to be trips when everything works out perfect but then again..................... Going for a night or two is one thing. Going for a week is a different ball game.

Point taken. You have to be sensible and prepared. Then again, no one ever caught a 10lb burbot in the middle of the night set up in the bush. ;) And yes, even the odd trout can be caught in the middle of the night.

I think the gist of this thread is more about one or two night trips than about week long camps like during hunting season. Not that I'd be adverse to just packing the gear and winter camping in northern Manitoba on some good waters for a week. :sHa_shakeshout:

Poppa
10-26-2021, 02:49 PM
650xd here....plenty of room for 2 cots a play pen and an area for the little one. We did about 5 or 6 overnight trips last year....its a great setup. Foam floor and a big buddy and we were more than comfortable in a couple -30 nights. I don't have a full panoramic pic but you get the idea. During the day we move the cots into an L shape and use them to keep the rug rat contained lol. That may not work as well this winter.https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20211026/9216dc66403965feaf2101b2384e69b5.jpghttps://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20211026/0f651b84b35eb564364545be9ac37511.jpghttps://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20211026/14b094e1d995503641ddf63c8a2b7e40.jpg

Sent from my SM-G981W using Tapatalk
really appreciate your post and the pictures. We (very thankfully) don't have a kid, but my wife likes to bring a **** ton of stuff we don't need. This tent looks really good. Still think I'd spend the extra 200 bucks or whatever to get the Resort and an extra 20sq ft of fishing space, but this is definitely an option.....

mlee
10-26-2021, 03:07 PM
really appreciate your post and the pictures. We (very thankfully) don't have a kid, but my wife likes to bring a **** ton of stuff we don't need. This tent looks really good. Still think I'd spend the extra 200 bucks or whatever to get the Resort and an extra 20sq ft of fishing space, but this is definitely an option.....
Lol....with a toddler we also have a crap ton of stuff. The 650xd is 94sq ft....the resort is 101....so 7 square ft difference. I looked at both before opting for the eskimo....the full size door sealed the deal and honestly now that I've had that feature I would never want to go back to a triangle door.

AlbertanGP
10-26-2021, 03:53 PM
Lol....with a toddler we also have a crap ton of stuff. The 650xd is 94sq ft....the resort is 101....so 7 square ft difference. I looked at both before opting for the eskimo....the full size door sealed the deal and honestly now that I've had that feature I would never want to go back to a triangle door.

I'm not sold on the door in the Outbreaks since it runs right to the ground and I worry it could freeze in. Still, Otter is starting to make similar hubs with full length doors...the Vortex Pros...which is a sign that the Outbreak full door design is popular. Otter just released the Vortex Pro Lodge this season, which has identical dimensions to the Outbreak 450XD. They'll probably release the Vortex Pro Resort next season, and it will likely be in the neighborhood of 110 sq. ft. I'd buy one of those. But I'm not waiting all year to get into a hex hub.

mlee
10-26-2021, 04:57 PM
I'm not sold on the door in the Outbreaks since it runs right to the ground and I worry it could freeze in. Still, Otter is starting to make similar hubs with full length doors...the Vortex Pros...which is a sign that the Outbreak full door design is popular. Otter just released the Vortex Pro Lodge this season, which has identical dimensions to the Outbreak 450XD. They'll probably release the Vortex Pro Resort next season, and it will likely be in the neighborhood of 110 sq. ft. I'd buy one of those. But I'm not waiting all year to get into a hex hub.

Never had a door issue at all....maybe if you spentv3 days in the hut without ever opening it lol....but we did a late winter weekend....+3 during the day -10 overnight and I didn't have to fight the door at 5am for a pee.

Poppa
10-26-2021, 06:26 PM
Pretty sure the Otter Resort is around 115sq ft. Eskimo also has a similar one that's around 110. That extra square footage seems really interesting but I'd need to stand inside them and compare. Hoping Cabela's does that at some point...

mlee
10-26-2021, 07:28 PM
Pretty sure the Otter Resort is around 115sq ft. Eskimo also has a similar one that's around 110. That extra square footage seems really interesting but I'd need to stand inside them and compare. Hoping Cabela's does that at some point...

The monster lodge is 112....its a double not a single hub.

OL_JR
10-26-2021, 08:37 PM
I do fish solo in the above set up. It would be too close for comfort with two guys. Forgot to mention, I use foam flooring that I bought from Canadian tire. They are cheap, They look like puzzle pieces,snap together and work real well. Never had them pull apart. Plus they stow/pack real well in the sled without taking up room. They allow me to walk around the tent in crocks. Good insulation.

Nice set up, I have a 6it (just the top is insulated but should be the same size) and have done an overnighter with two people in it. I find a standard sized cot will just squeeze in the very ends width ways and then there is fishable room in the middle between cots. My one buddy has an oversized cot and had to angle the corner of the cot outside with the door half opened but still made it work. Not ideal and there are better options out there for sure but it can be done :).

Poppa
10-27-2021, 01:55 PM
The monster lodge is 112....its a double not a single hub.

Yes - that's the one. Seems worth the extra couple hundred bucks. Eskimo has a similar one that's 114 or 115sq ft. That seems like a really good way to go. Going to see what's on sale at Boxing Day and hopefully find a deal...

AlbertanGP
10-30-2021, 03:00 PM
Well, I've been hemming and hawing trying to decide between an Otter Vortex Resort and an Eskimo Outbreak 650XD. I went to Cabela's and got to see a 450XD set up. It looked like a really nice tent in terms of build quality. Stared at the two XD650 boxes on the floor and *almost* picked one up. But the Resort just popped up on Cabela's online in the past 24 hours, so I'm going to have them bring one in and pick it up when I'm back in the city in a couple of weeks. $900 for the Outbreak 650XD vs $750 for the Resort makes it a no brainer. I'd love to try the full length door, but I can't stand Eskimo's cinch endload storage bags and fighting to put the hub away at the end of the day. The perfect hub for me will be the Otter Vortex Pro Resort when it releases likely next year. I'm gonna be selling a lot of hubs in the Buy & Sell forum over the course of this season I guess...

Buck Rogers
10-31-2021, 01:11 AM
This will be my third year using this setup for ice fishing. The floor is 5/8” plywood screwed to 2*4 sleepers with 1” polystyrene insulation and glued linoleum with door hinges used to keep it all tight. The floor goes on top of 2*3 sleepers that are separate and held in there pattern by a ratchet strap band, you lay these down first to mark your holes, after drilling and shoveling you put the sleepers down and then the tent floor on top (they are cheap insurance against the floor freezing to the ice in case of bad flood water overnight). The tent skirt anchor holes are attached to the floor with machine star bolts and then a rope with a binder keeps the skirt cinched tight around the floor. I run a big buddy heater and a Milwaukee 18V fan in the tent and within 20 minutes of set up you can be fishing in your socks.
The tent is the 6*12 insulated tent from Cabellas. I also set up a Eskimo 949i with a two burner camp chef for cooking, this tent also serves as spot to use the poop bucket as well.
The main tent sleeps 2 people well, 3 is doable and 4 is really tight but possible (all on army cots). All five holes are catch cover holes with sleeves right down to the ice and two of them are late night fishable even with three cots set up. The cots get stored in the Eskimo during the day and we sit on the hard back Costco camping chairs during the day.
This setup is heavy and a bit of work to set up, if or should I say when I build my next setup I think I will use 3/8” plywood with 3/4” plywood strips for sleepers and 1/2” foam on top of 2*3 sleepers to cut down on the weight.
I cannot adequately explain how nice it is to be on a warm dry floor fishing 3” off the ice 4 hrs from home, sipping a whiskey and catching walleye at midnight in -30 conditions wearing pajamas, it’s as close to heaven as I think I will get to in this lifetime.

nimrod
10-31-2021, 08:40 AM
Im still looking for a co detector that has a screen that shows the co number on it also needs to be a battery unit, if anybody finds this please post where you find it, store or online

mlee
10-31-2021, 02:02 PM
Well, I've been hemming and hawing trying to decide between an Otter Vortex Resort and an Eskimo Outbreak 650XD. I went to Cabela's and got to see a 450XD set up. It looked like a really nice tent in terms of build quality. Stared at the two XD650 boxes on the floor and *almost* picked one up. But the Resort just popped up on Cabela's online in the past 24 hours, so I'm going to have them bring one in and pick it up when I'm back in the city in a couple of weeks. $900 for the Outbreak 650XD vs $750 for the Resort makes it a no brainer. I'd love to try the full length door, but I can't stand Eskimo's cinch endload storage bags and fighting to put the hub away at the end of the day. The perfect hub for me will be the Otter Vortex Pro Resort when it releases likely next year. I'm gonna be selling a lot of hubs in the Buy & Sell forum over the course of this season I guess...

I can assure you the 650xd is very easy to put in the bag by yourself. I have a quick fish 3 as well I use for solo trips and it is a pita for sure. The 650 bag is much roomier has external velcro cinch straps and is overall just better built.

SamSteele
10-31-2021, 05:18 PM
I can assure you the 650xd is very easy to put in the bag by yourself. I have a quick fish 3 as well I use for solo trips and it is a pita for sure. The 650 bag is much roomier has external velcro cinch straps and is overall just better built.

I sewed some Velcro cinch straps for my Eskimo Quickfish 6i and they help immensely.

Poppa
11-01-2021, 02:44 PM
Our Eskimo double bubble has always been a pain to get into the bag, and our old Clam Basecamp was a dream...seemed like the bag was near double the size of the tent itself....which has always made me lean more toward Clam stuff, but I'm curious about the newer generation of Eskimo tents...hopefully they are a bit easier to get in the storage bag!

AlbertanGP
11-01-2021, 04:22 PM
Eskimos have always been notorious for their undersized bags. They may have fixed it recently (I doubt it) but many a stiff, frosty Eskimo has been packed off the ice out of it's bag over the years, including my two year old 9416i more than once.

You'll think your Eskimo is fine until you get an Otter. ;)

mlee
11-01-2021, 04:41 PM
Eskimos have always been notorious for their undersized bags. They may have fixed it recently (I doubt it) but many a stiff, frosty Eskimo has been packed off the ice out of it's bag over the years, including my two year old 9416i more than once.

Again....I can assure you the 650xd Outbreak is a piece of cake to put away....alone....in -30....with the wind blowing. The bag is huge and has 3 external velcro cinch straps....it is far and away better then any previous eskimo I've seen or used. My older 3 man non insulated eskimo most of the time does not get put back in the bag until I get home because it is b#$%&.

AlbertanGP
11-01-2021, 05:06 PM
I'm not questioning your 650XD. I'm just pointing out that Eskimos have long been notorious for that issue. Eskimo products were long considered a "value" line in ice fishing. Now that they make some of the best products out there, they *should* be going back and fixing their known issues. Good YKK zippers, good ice anchors, $h!tty bags...that's been the Eskimo mantra for years.

mapleleafman3
11-02-2021, 10:41 AM
Cabela's hub bags have plenty of room. I never have to wrestle mine to get in back in the bag. One of the nicest feature of the Cabela's hub shacks. I've had mine for about 5 years and no issues. "Knock on wood".

Poppa
11-03-2021, 02:30 PM
I'm curious to see what Cabela's has for hubs..... if they have one big enough for our needs, I might be interested. Really hoping they have various models/brands set up in store for people to check out...

WinefredCommander
11-03-2021, 09:07 PM
Just picked up an Eskimo 850XD. Can’t wait to try it!

sureshot
10-29-2022, 07:27 PM

That’s why you sold me the Eskimo [emoji1787][emoji1787][emoji1787]

Poppa
10-29-2022, 10:53 PM
Glad this thread got necro posted.... We're buying our Otter Monster Lodge tomorrow and we'll be ready for overnighting on Newell and area come first ice. I am beyond excited to figure out how to properly set up our tent. Watching a Schick vid right now as I type this, to get some ideas. Gonna be so much fun to take advantage of the early morning and late night bites!

AlbertanGP
10-29-2022, 11:13 PM
That’s why you sold me the Eskimo [emoji1787][emoji1787][emoji1787]

Hehe. You found me out. Logically, an end load bag and a frosty hub shelter aren't going to get along. I actually thought the 9416i and the 850XD went into the bag pretty good when I compared them all a month or so ago. I guess I have a short memory (Heck, I know I have a short memory). FWIW, I've fought to get Otters back in their bags as well.

If you want a relatively easy fix for the problem, order these (https://www.otteroutdoors.com/product/2-pack-hub-cinch-strap/) from CMX Outdoors (https://cmxoutdoors.ca/collections/shelter-accessories/products/otter-2-pack-hub-cinch-strap) or elsewhere. You can reef on them but good and they will compress any hub considerably more than the single strap that comes with these hubs. Otter just started selling them as an accessory last year. ;)

AlbertanGP
10-29-2022, 11:42 PM
Glad this thread got necro posted.... We're buying our Otter Monster Lodge tomorrow and we'll be ready for overnighting on Newell and area come first ice. I am beyond excited to figure out how to properly set up our tent. Watching a Schick vid right now as I type this, to get some ideas. Gonna be so much fun to take advantage of the early morning and late night bites!

I don't think Clayton has the best setup, but then he needs to accommodate a pile of camera gear. You can research setups 'til the cows come home, starting with this (http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/showthread.php?t=309423) thread you bumped last year. ;) While there's more than one way to do it, there is a pretty standard setup depending on whether you use bunks or just cots. Here's a couple of pics of my solo setup in my Resort (the rod case fits under the Disc-O-Bed. I'll probably solo in the Monster Lodge at least once this season...at a lake where I can use my sled/Ranger to haul it out.

https://photos.smugmug.com/photos/i-f2qkczm/0/ce655648/X4/i-f2qkczm-X4.jpg

https://photos.smugmug.com/photos/i-9vPq9nW/0/444e0661/X4/i-9vPq9nW-X4.jpg

HL_transplant
10-30-2022, 11:28 AM
Im still looking for a co detector that has a screen that shows the co number on it also needs to be a battery unit, if anybody finds this please post where you find it, store or online

That's a monitor your looking for not a detector. Used for confined space air monitoring. Would work well but probably pricey.

Poppa
10-30-2022, 08:15 PM
That's a monitor your looking for not a detector. Used for confined space air monitoring. Would work well but probably pricey.

Any recommendations on the best CO detector for this type of use (in an ice shack)...? We bought a couple from Canadian Tire last year but curious if anyone recommends any one in particular...

AlbertanGP
10-30-2022, 08:51 PM
I use the Garrison (https://www.canadiantire.ca/en/pdp/garrison-portable-carbon-monoxide-co-alarm-batteries-included-0460003p.html?loc=plp) units from CT. Get two and replace one every year after that. Sleep like a baby.

MDR
10-31-2022, 07:36 PM
No pics at the moment, but I use a 6'x12' pop up with 2 cots and a small, portable woodstove. No condensation, no CO worries and I only have to stock it every couple of hours in the night. I use a -7 bag so I wake up before the fire gets too low.

HL_transplant
10-31-2022, 07:43 PM

https://www.amazon.ca/Handheld-Monoxide-Precision-Monitor-Detector/dp/B07ZRXFSRH/ref=asc_df_B07ZRXFSRH/?tag=googlemobshop-20&linkCode=df0&hvadid=341780246829&hvpos=&hvnetw=g&hvrand=8582322820670219162&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=&hvdev=m&hvdvcmdl=&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=9001590&hvtargid=pla-923257512717&psc=1
https://www.homedepot.ca/product/klein-tools-carbon-monoxide-detector-with-carry-pouch-and-batteries/1001749682?eid=PS_GOOGLE_D00%20-%20E-Comm_GGL_Shopping_PLA_EN_All%20Products_All%20Prod ucts__PRODUCT_GROUP_pla-300587868876&gclid=EAIaIQobChMIp4nDqO2L-wIVCB6tBh22SgQBEAQYAiABEgJONPD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds

nimrod
10-31-2022, 08:54 PM

ended up buying this one

https://www.amazon.ca/dp/B08Y714Y9V/ref=redir_mobile_desktop?_encoding=UTF8&aaxitk=a424b2854ed498de77b6419d0ee835a5&content-id=amzn1.sym.40a63b70-269e-4aa8-841d-e0d03724f6f0%3Aamzn1.sym.40a63b70-269e-4aa8-841d-e0d03724f6f0&hsa_cr_id=8387298180301&pd_rd_plhdr=t&pd_rd_r=56493b5a-6104-4ace-861f-87698a33b149&pd_rd_w=9gKj4&pd_rd_wg=76qAt&qid=1667271116&ref_=sbx_be_s_sparkle_mcd_asin_1_title&sr=1-2-5aa29f2a-1490-4ae2-848e-815fb6406bcf

AlbertanGP
10-31-2022, 09:27 PM
ended up buying this one

https://www.amazon.ca/dp/B08Y714Y9V/ref=redir_mobile_desktop?_encoding=UTF8&aaxitk=a424b2854ed498de77b6419d0ee835a5&content-id=amzn1.sym.40a63b70-269e-4aa8-841d-e0d03724f6f0%3Aamzn1.sym.40a63b70-269e-4aa8-841d-e0d03724f6f0&hsa_cr_id=8387298180301&pd_rd_plhdr=t&pd_rd_r=56493b5a-6104-4ace-861f-87698a33b149&pd_rd_w=9gKj4&pd_rd_wg=76qAt&qid=1667271116&ref_=sbx_be_s_sparkle_mcd_asin_1_title&sr=1-2-5aa29f2a-1490-4ae2-848e-815fb6406bcf

Have you used it yet? I'm curious what types of numbers you've seen.

old dog
11-01-2022, 04:15 PM
Built this hunting and fishing rig when I retired

old dog
11-01-2022, 05:41 PM
One more, furnace and fridge

nimrod
11-01-2022, 06:13 PM
Have you used it yet? I'm curious what types of numbers you've seen.

yes i have used this carbon monoxide unit, never had a scare with this unit, but good to have it, to keep everyone safe., Nimrod

old dog
11-02-2022, 10:36 AM
yes i have used this carbon monoxide unit, never had a scare with this unit, but good to have it, to keep everyone safe., Nimrod

Does it have preset alarm values And how loud is the alarm. Does it automatically shut off if not being used like some units ( not sure I like that). I have the fixed ones in my cargo trailer but would like a portable one. Thanks for the on-site

hafwit
11-08-2022, 11:34 AM
what do you think of a portable generator and electric heater overnight? zero chance of carbon monoxide.(unless you put the generator in your tent)

Poppa
11-08-2022, 02:55 PM
what do you think of a portable generator and electric heater overnight? zero chance of carbon monoxide.(unless you put the generator in your tent)

I don't know enough about generators but my concern has always been the noise. Fish are so sensitive to any kind of noise from above, and I always figure the generator would spook 'em real good.... but are there generators that are next to silent? That might work...

AlbertanGP
11-08-2022, 03:04 PM

Go check out the power requirements for an 18,000BTU electric heater. You're gonna need a big, heavy genny to pump out 5000+ watts continuously.

Georgias daddy
11-19-2022, 07:41 PM
This will be my third year using this setup for ice fishing. The floor is 5/8” plywood screwed to 2*4 sleepers with 1” polystyrene insulation and glued linoleum with door hinges used to keep it all tight. The floor goes on top of 2*3 sleepers that are separate and held in there pattern by a ratchet strap band, you lay these down first to mark your holes, after drilling and shoveling you put the sleepers down and then the tent floor on top (they are cheap insurance against the floor freezing to the ice in case of bad flood water overnight). The tent skirt anchor holes are attached to the floor with machine star bolts and then a rope with a binder keeps the skirt cinched tight around the floor. I run a big buddy heater and a Milwaukee 18V fan in the tent and within 20 minutes of set up you can be fishing in your socks.
The tent is the 6*12 insulated tent from Cabellas. I also set up a Eskimo 949i with a two burner camp chef for cooking, this tent also serves as spot to use the poop bucket as well.
The main tent sleeps 2 people well, 3 is doable and 4 is really tight but possible (all on army cots). All five holes are catch cover holes with sleeves right down to the ice and two of them are late night fishable even with three cots set up. The cots get stored in the Eskimo during the day and we sit on the hard back Costco camping chairs during the day.
This setup is heavy and a bit of work to set up, if or should I say when I build my next setup I think I will use 3/8” plywood with 3/4” plywood strips for sleepers and 1/2” foam on top of 2*3 sleepers to cut down on the weight.
I cannot adequately explain how nice it is to be on a warm dry floor fishing 3” off the ice 4 hrs from home, sipping a whiskey and catching walleye at midnight in -30 conditions wearing pajamas, it’s as close to heaven as I think I will get to in this lifetime.
I’m building almost this exact set up! My floor is going to be fixed 6 ft down the middle with 2 folding wings on hinges to make a 14 x9 base for the new otter monster lodge. 1\2 inch plywood top and bottom with 1 inch strapping and insulation with 3 2x6 skis built into the floor to be able to pull it set up with the tent on it behind a side x side. It will store on the trailer with the side x side parked on top. I just built a diesel heater box that sits outside and connects to the propane ports on the tent. And a bluetti 2048 wh solar generator with a 2500 watt backup champion inverter generator and 2 back up big buddy flex heaters. When I go it’s for 3-4 days so worth the set up and back up equipment.

Curtsyneil
11-19-2022, 09:06 PM
I don't know enough about generators but my concern has always been the noise. Fish are so sensitive to any kind of noise from above, and I always figure the generator would spook 'em real good.... but are there generators that are next to silent? That might work...
I’ve fished with a generator running all day and night at slave and can say it doesn’t seem to scare the fish. We’ve caught during the day and night when it running. It’s a Honda 2000. Also fishing in 28ft of water. Also seen guys run the generator in the back of there truck to keep the sound and vibration off ice.

ab_hunter
11-29-2022, 02:20 PM
I don't think Clayton has the best setup, but then he needs to accommodate a pile of camera gear. You can research setups 'til the cows come home, starting with this (http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/showthread.php?t=309423) thread you bumped last year. ;) While there's more than one way to do it, there is a pretty standard setup depending on whether you use bunks or just cots. Here's a couple of pics of my solo setup in my Resort (the rod case fits under the Disc-O-Bed. I'll probably solo in the Monster Lodge at least once this season...at a lake where I can use my sled/Ranger to haul it out.

https://photos.smugmug.com/photos/i-f2qkczm/0/ce655648/X4/i-f2qkczm-X4.jpg

https://photos.smugmug.com/photos/i-9vPq9nW/0/444e0661/X4/i-9vPq9nW-X4.jpg

If you don't mind me asking, what lights are you using in your tent? Those look great. Thanks

AlbertanGP
11-29-2022, 07:29 PM
If you don't mind me asking, what lights are you using in your tent? Those look great. Thanks

I use Otter Lights (https://www.otteroutdoors.com/product/pro-universal-led-light-kit/) in the Resort...one on each roof pole...six lights/three kits in total.

sns2
11-30-2022, 08:21 AM

I spent many a time wrestling t get the Eskimo tent in the bag. No fun at all.

Poppa
11-30-2022, 02:24 PM
in our hub, we these dual purpose ligh/fan units. They're like an LED circle that has a small fan in the middle. We hang one at each end, and then we have these small battery operated LED "lanterns" that we bought at Canadian Tire for like 5 bucks each and those have been pretty good, too. I personally like as much light as possible in there.

ab_hunter
11-30-2022, 04:58 PM
I have been using the LED lanterns as well but it would be nice to go to a USB style and just connect them to my Norsk Lithium battery.