PDA

View Full Version : Favourite ice fishing line

Alta_Redneck
12-08-2016, 07:18 PM
What brand of type of line do you prefer for hard water and what are you fishing for? Me personally I run fire line on my heavy rod for pike, I also run it on my light rod for trout and whitefish but I'm thinking of changing it cause I think it's a little to visible.

HoytCRX32
12-08-2016, 07:21 PM
I like to run a Spider Wire braid to a swivel, and then transition to a fluorocarbon leader for at least a couple of feet....pound test leader depends on what I'm fishing for.

MBL
12-08-2016, 08:37 PM
I am interested in hearing what people recommend as well. I mostly fish for trout and have tried trilene micro ice and trilene cold weather and they both suck. Horrible line nothing but a huge slinky and rats nest tangles.

JohninAB
12-08-2016, 08:46 PM
Use Power Pro Ice Tech? braid and then a flouro leader.

Speckle55
12-08-2016, 09:33 PM
I like to use Vanish FLUOROCARBON Transition 8# when ice fishing

usually I am fishing Lake Whitefish

seems too work for me

David:)
http://i1280.photobucket.com/albums/a488/Speckle55/2015%20July%20Fishing/IMG_1642_zpstadgv7jv.jpg

IamI
12-08-2016, 11:27 PM
Last ice season I bought Both power pro ice-tec and Berkeley fire line fused micro ice crystal. Power pro ice-tec had more ice online, then replace it with Berkeley.

Now my 5 reels all with Berkeley fire line fused micro ice crystal 10 lb, then #20 barrel swivels, 10lbs fluo carbon as leader. I am targeting lake white fish.

The Fisherman Guy
12-08-2016, 11:37 PM
Berkley Nanofil

newscientist
12-09-2016, 02:00 AM
I just had some good luck with Trilene Fluorocarbon Ice for trout. Just Remeber to use the straight line reel (the fly fishing style) with fluoro to eliminate the twisting problems.

Sent from my SM-N900W8 using Tapatalk

AdAMxr
12-09-2016, 06:33 AM
Not trying to derail, but why do you guys prefer barrel swivels instead of uni/ double uni knots? I've always used knots to combine fluorocarbon to braid. Never really noticed any line twist. Am I missing out?

huntsfurfish
12-09-2016, 12:28 PM
Not trying to derail, but why do you guys prefer barrel swivels instead of uni/ double uni knots? I've always used knots to combine fluorocarbon to braid. Never really noticed any line twist. Am I missing out?

Nope. I use double uni as well. Use it on tip ups and rods(also fishing in less than 30' of water). But sometimes use a swivel if I am jigging a lot. Even then doesnt seem to make a lot of difference.

Uni goes through rod eyes better too. Its knot hard to tie:).

PS: also sorry for the slight derail.

HoytCRX32
12-09-2016, 01:32 PM

No derail...good question...I think it's simply preference.

HoytCRX32
12-09-2016, 01:41 PM
I like to use Vanish FLUOROCARBON Transition 8# when ice fishing

usually I am fishing Lake Whitefish

seems too work for me

David:)
http://i1280.photobucket.com/albums/a488/Speckle55/2015%20July%20Fishing/IMG_1642_zpstadgv7jv.jpg

That is a great picture!!!

RavYak
12-09-2016, 01:49 PM
I also use power pro ice tec although I wish they would offer it in larger spools and tests...

Normal powerpro works fine too if you are in a heated shack. The ice tec line helps a bit when fishing outside.

I have also tried the suffix ice line and I believe fireline and didn't like them. The suffix seems to ice up more and the fireline is stiff.

As for swivels depends on what lure you are using. If jigging spoons etc you will get line twist although it usually isn't as much of a hassle as in the summer time due to the limited line out.

Lerrooy
12-28-2016, 06:37 PM
Does anyone use braided colour line? I noticed some yellow/green stuff on sale the other day.
Do fish see the colours and shy away?
Should one be using braid then a fluorocarbon leader so they dont see the line?

WayneChristie
12-28-2016, 06:48 PM
Ive been using heavy mono on my heavy pike gear, doesnt freeze up and so far been working like a charm. when Im fishing for strictly walleye Im using 8 pound Vanish, hate the coils but it seems to catch lots more eyes. had too many problems with braid freezing to the reels . I do use 30 pound suffix 832 with 20 pound fluoro leader on my light pike rod just have to make sure it stays warm and doesnt freeze up.

RavYak
12-28-2016, 07:01 PM
Does anyone use braided colour line? I noticed some yellow/green stuff on sale the other day.
Do fish see the colours and shy away?
Should one be using braid then a fluorocarbon leader so they dont see the line?

Fish are easily going to see braid whether it is blue, green, white, red, yellow etc. That is why I always use a fluorocarbon leader.

3blade
12-28-2016, 07:08 PM
Berkeley Trilene cold weather 4 lb, with a 4 lb vanish flouro leader for perch

6 or 8 lb vanish for everything else.

Flouro has the best abrasion resistance and is near invisible in water, but has too much memory for tiny perch hooks. Braid absorbs water and freezes, even the so called ice braids.

3blade
12-28-2016, 07:12 PM
I am interested in hearing what people recommend as well. I mostly fish for trout and have tried trilene micro ice and trilene cold weather and they both suck. Horrible line nothing but a huge slinky and rats nest tangles.

Gotta wonder how old that line is...I've had great luck with mine. Hangs dead straight even with only a wire worm.

That being said I'm also using large arbor ice fishing reels, not spinning reels.

gopher67
12-28-2016, 07:28 PM
4 lb. vanish fluorocarbon caught 8 lb. rainbows

Lerrooy
12-28-2016, 07:34 PM
So it doesnt really matter much for colour as long as you use a fluorocarbon leader?

How long of a leader does everyone use?
Knot or swivel to join the two?

Do you use the fluorocarbon leader for pike as well to quick set rig?

SamSteele
12-28-2016, 08:00 PM
I'm trying the Suffix 832 Ice line on a couple rods this year. I like the regular 832 for summer use so I figured I would give it a shot. Using a fluorocarbon leader, just like on my summer rigs. Connecting the two with an Alberto knot. Easier to tie than the Albright knot.

As a kid we just used Trilene XL in 8-10 lb for everything. Of course, we also used a 1' stick with two drywall screws to wrap the line around, a kinked up wire leader, and slader jigs/Len Thompson spoons. Finesse wasn't our strong suit back then.

SS

ETA: I use a 3-4' fluorocarbon leader on my rigs, thus the knot and no swivel. I find the swivel tough to get through the guides. Especially with a little ice in the guide.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

neilsledder
12-29-2016, 09:52 AM

For me I really suck at knot tying, so a barrel is easier.

huntsfurfish
12-29-2016, 12:44 PM
For me I really suck at knot tying, so a barrel is easier.

You do realize that using a barrel swivel requires 2 knots.:);)

Knots are the most common failure point. The more knots the more possible failure points.

Also, most line complaints about crappy/no good line are very likely poor knot tying. And "knot" the line itself.

Practice, practice and practice. Get a couple good knot tying apps for your phone.

If a barrel swivel isnt really needed, I dont use one.

That said, use what your are comfortable with.

neilsledder
12-29-2016, 01:53 PM
You do realize that using a barrel swivel requires 2 knots.:);)

Knots are the most common failure point. The more knots the more possible failure points.

Also, most line complaints about crappy/no good line are very likely poor knot tying. And "knot" the line itself.

Practice, practice and practice. Get a couple good knot tying apps for your phone.

If a barrel swivel isnt really needed, I dont use one.

That said, use what your are comfortable with.

Lol I do realize that. But it's easier knots! I am getting better!

Smiity
12-29-2016, 05:41 PM
I am interested in hearing what people recommend as well. I mostly fish for trout and have tried trilene micro ice and trilene cold weather and they both suck. Horrible line nothing but a huge slinky and rats nest tangles.I too have just encountered this problem, and it was brand new line from Canadian tire. Gonna try different brand/line I guess .......

MBL
12-29-2016, 09:04 PM
Mine came from canadian tire last winter. 4lb on one reel and 8lb on another. Was like that from the time I put it on. I have now put sufix832 ice braid on one and fire line crystal ice on the other. So far I like the fire line better as it ices up less. The sufix is actually nicer line it's softer and seems less coilly bud ices up extremely fast and bad and the ice really sticks to it. It's hard to remove

RavYak
12-29-2016, 09:22 PM
Mine came from canadian tire last winter. 4lb on one reel and 8lb on another. Was like that from the time I put it on. I have now put sufix832 ice braid on one and fire line crystal ice on the other. So far I like the fire line better as it ices up less. The sufix is actually nicer line it's softer and seems less coilly bud ices up extremely fast and bad and the ice really sticks to it. It's hard to remove

Power pro ice tec is better then both Suffix and fireline imo. Still will freeze up but not as bad.

There is no perfect ice fishing line. Recently fished with a guy that was using either mono or fluoro and man that stuff was ugly trying to leap off the reel and being all twisted. I will take braid any day, all a guy needs is a tent and no freeze up issues.

Smiity
12-29-2016, 09:56 PM
Power pro ice tec is better then both Suffix and fireline imo. Still will freeze up but not as bad.

There is no perfect ice fishing line. Recently fished with a guy that was using either mono or fluoro and man that stuff was ugly trying to leap off the reel and being all twisted. I will take braid any day, all a guy needs is a tent and no freeze up issues. That kind of makes sense because yesterday we were in a heated shelter and we weren't having that many problems with the lines. Today was nice outside so we didn't set up the shelter, but had nothing but issues with our lines. So, is braid better/easier to use outside instead of in the shelter?

RavYak
12-29-2016, 10:19 PM
That kind of makes sense because yesterday we were in a heated shelter and we weren't having that many problems with the lines. Today was nice outside so we didn't set up the shelter, but had nothing but issues with our lines. So, is braid better/easier to use outside instead of in the shelter?

I haven't used mono/fluoro in years so not really sure. I would be interested to know what someone that primarily uses mono/fluoro thinks after switching to power pro ice tec though.

Smiity
12-29-2016, 10:54 PM
I haven't used mono/fluoro in years so not really sure. I would be interested to know what someone that primarily uses mono/fluoro thinks after switching to power pro ice tec though.
I can let you know. After today's circus, i'll be setting my 1 rod up with braided line, and we'll see which one works better in and out of the shelter.

SamSteele
01-01-2017, 08:38 PM
Spooled up some Suffix 832 Ice braid as I liked their summer stuff. It's strong and limp but ices up something fierce. Side effect is icing up the rod guides too.

Haven't tried the Power Pro stuff yet but will likely go there next.

PerchBuster
01-01-2017, 09:44 PM
Suffix Invisible Ice 4# 100% Fluorocarbon, Berkeley Trilene Ice 100% Fluorocarbon, Berkeley Vanish 4# Fluorocarbon are my go to winter varieties.

cube
01-03-2017, 12:05 PM

If you look up knot strength you will find most line to leader knots loose about 25% of there strength compared to line to lure knots. So given the swivel is 2 line to lure knots you get the 25% extra strength and a swivel that helps with line twist to boot.

I use all kinds of line but the best I have used so far would be a fused not braided supper line (like fireline ice not white) and Trilene Micro Ice mono in "clear steel" color.

the Micro ice is a low stretch yet is quite supple. The clear steel color is basically clear with a very small amount grey color to stop light piping.

huntsfurfish
01-03-2017, 12:22 PM
If you look up knot strength you will find most line to leader knots loose about 25% of there strength compared to line to lure knots. So given the swivel is 2 line to lure knots you get the 25% extra strength and a swivel that helps with line twist to boot.

I use all kinds of line but the best I have used so far would be a fused not braided supper line (like fireline ice not white) and Trilene Micro Ice mono in "clear steel" color.

the Micro ice is a low stretch yet is quite supple. The clear steel color is basically clear with a very small amount grey color to stop light piping.

I also prefer fused lines for super lines and Trilene Micro ice steel color although I also use/have used red and solar.