PDA

View Full Version : Say when!

Redfrog
12-08-2016, 10:27 PM
And where

http://thehuntingshack.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/11/Coyote_vitals.jpg

Here's a pic showing vitals, but we don't always have a pic with us, so where do you aim?
I try to shoot just clear of the elbow on a broadside shot and centre mass on a facing shot.

Now if your rifle is a wizzy sniper style 17 hmr that shoots flat as an ice rink out to a million yards, just point and shoot. Then drive out and pick up the dead coyote.

If you have a regular boomstick zero for 200 and you should be good to about 300 yards. how far is that. Range finder time. I would bet that lots of guys cannot estimate with any degree of accuracy beyond ten yards. The farther out you try the worse you get. 300 looks likes 400. 200 looks like 300. I've only ever seen a handful of guys that can do 150 yards and beyond within 10 yard accuracy.

I've seen a handful of misses where the shot was low, literally a handful in many years. I have seen hundreds where the shot was too high. Range finder. If you have to guess ad you come up with a number more than 300 don't shoot. keep calling. If you think it may be 300 or closer, HOLD ON THE FUR.

If I had to pick two of the most important things about successful coyote calling they would be watch the wind, and hold on the fur.

I hardly ever [never]shoot at moving coyotes unless I just want them to book out at warp speed. They all stop. If you have someone on a rangefinder keeping you in the know, then when it stops at 257, you kill it. if it is 321, you kill it. Spotter and shooter take turns.

How do you know if it will keep coming or you have to rush the shot at 300 yards? Watch the coyote. If he is on the prod, territorial or breeding season then he will come in with a purpose. He's coming to take your lunch and kick your ass. no problem, bark at him when he's where you want him, and kill him.

If he's coming to a distress he may come a little slower. stop, look around come again. If he's inside 300 you may want to switch up and use a lip squeak. It is a great sound and you don't have to move a remote or hand call to do you. If the coyote is stopped , facing you, it will continue to come in when his comfort level comes back up. If he turns broadside he's thinking about leaving and if you are comfortable, that may be your shot. I shoot prone or sitting with a bipod, so I seldom miss. I won't say never,but I wouldn't want to have me shooting at me if I were a coyote.:)

If more than one comes in kill the farthest one first, even if the closest one is nearly in your lap. They usually exit the same way they came in, and will run past the one doing the death spin. when they stop to check him out, kill them too. Go to a pup distress, be aggressive and loud and often the remainders will come back to die as well. Many time I've killed 4 or 5 out of 7 or 8 that came to the call, by killing one and calling the rest back 4 or 5 times.

I'm on a stand for about 15 minutes. I howl a few times and wait. While I wait I use my binos. Depending on the response and the stand I'll howl again. Sometime there is a vocal response the second time but none the first time. I then go to a distress call. Call, glass, call, glass. Usually it gets western around the 5-10 minute mark.

I don't walk far from the truck. I call. The coyote will hear me from two miles away and he's a lot younger than I am. He'll come to the call.

One more thing, no coyotes will ever read this so may not know how they are supposed to behave.

As soon as someone says 'Coyotes always do....." they are wrong.:)

J0HN_R1
12-08-2016, 10:54 PM
I put my vertical crosshair inline with the front leg, and put the horizontal line centered on the body mass...

http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y72/johnr1/Coyote_vitals_zpsftwgvuqc.jpg

nimrod
12-08-2016, 10:58 PM
good advise, thanks

300magman
12-08-2016, 11:09 PM
Coyotes always do what they want to do.....lol.

Can't say I'm wrong on that!

tikka250
12-08-2016, 11:23 PM
Great post! This should be a sticky.

Bub
12-08-2016, 11:31 PM
Great post indeed! Thanks for the time and effort to type all that up :)

pikeslayer22
12-09-2016, 06:51 AM
Great post! 17 hmr haha...everyone is killing coyotes at 300 yds with them these days...what a joke...what's the best wind Redfrog?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

wbl170
12-09-2016, 11:07 AM
Good post!

Redfrog
12-09-2016, 12:09 PM
Great post! 17 hmr haha...everyone is killing coyotes at 300 yds with them these days...what a joke...what's the best wind Redfrog?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Some call with the wind and do ok, the problem I have is that coyotes will try to get downwind most of the time, so I set up back to back with a partner. The upwind guy does the calling.

The ones that come in downwind don't come in downwind, they come in crosswind trying to get down wind. The flaw s that as soon as they enter your scent cone, they leave fast.
Very hard to get them to stop for a shot, and if you take the running shot and miss, he will be harder to call and kill next time. Sometimes when they leave they are running with their body a little sideways, looking over their shoulder. You can sometimes stop these with a howl, but he may be out a ways.

I like to call upwind or crosswind and I call aggressively, so he has no chance to 'think' about what is happening. If you allow him to stop and consider the 'picture " in front of him he will figure it out. You have to change his focus.

Killing coyotes is at least as much a part of the process as getting them to the call. any little thing you can do to tip the scales could make the difference. Understanding the coyote will make a huge difference. That understanding comes from experience and that lesson never ends.

I know, We are the apex predator and guys jump out and shoot running coyotes dead, but they do not do it consistently.

We all know if you paint one house, it doesn't make you a painter, but something , something and everyone calls you.......oh I forget the rest.

Gettin' old ain't easy.:)

wildwoods
12-09-2016, 12:16 PM
There is a wealth of knowledge here. Thanks for culling the coyote questions thread early. We should sticky this every 'yote season :)
Not bad Froggie. Not bad

H380
12-09-2016, 02:37 PM
Great post Red . New callers take notes :test:, you have been schooled by the Master . Thanx bud .

bessiedog
12-09-2016, 03:14 PM
Frog makes excellent thread!

wwbirds
12-09-2016, 03:47 PM
Measured 200 yards to 200 pound meatsickle. check
another garbage pail filled with meat scraps and water to take advantage of -25 weather check
sitting in the dining room with a hot coffee watching the bait in comfort check
think I hit brisket with last one I shot as I forgot sighted in over 2.5 inches high at 100 yards from last year check
this is a good reminder for shot placement check

graybeard
12-10-2016, 08:48 AM
Thanks Red;
What I like is, having a resident expert so willing to share his knowledge and experience with the AO readers and expects zero in return.

He just puts his knowledge out there for all of us to learn.

I dare say there is no one else on AO that has more coyote hunting experience that is willing to share that amount.
Thanks for your tutorials.

buddybuckhunter
12-10-2016, 09:14 AM
That is an excellent post redfrog,cant wait to get out an put some mutts down.

threeforthree
12-10-2016, 09:51 AM
Excellent post,I sure enjoy reading your posts!!

2 Tollers
12-10-2016, 10:40 AM
Thanks for taking the time to put this up. Coyote calling is one of the items on my bucket list to get out and do for a winter activity. It sure helps with knowledge sharing like this.

spoiledsaskhunter
12-10-2016, 11:19 AM
....plse don't think I'm disagreeing with you, as your pic clearly shows the sweet spot in killing dogs.

now my opinion (I've shot a few dogs, and I know there are lots of different ways to succeed).........I like to aim 2 or 3 inches further back to give me a little better chance at centre of mass. I think this gives me a little more 'wiggle room', just in case I miss a little. also, I shoot a 22-250, so it gives me a chance to take 'em through the ribs, where they seem to suffer a little less pelt damage.

the term 'centre of mass' is an old training term and is basically meant to give us, who may not shoot as straight as some, a better chance of hitting something that will really make 'em sick! in the heat of the moment, I need all the advantage I can get.:)

Redfrog
12-10-2016, 12:31 PM
I sure don't have a problem with someone disagreeing with me. Every situation is different, and if I listened to every internet expert, I'd never get anything killed.lol

I agree with you that through the ribs is better for fur friendliness. I also agree that centre mass increases the odds of a kill shot.

I try to stay away from the shoulder unless I'm shooting bears. i also try not to shoot any farther back than an inch or two behind the elbow. Cause I'm lazy. I've tracked wounded coyotes literally miles. I'm constantly amazed at how tough these little animals are.

If I'm shooting bears, I shoot the shoulder to anchor the bear, but with a coyote, if I try to shoot the shoulder, either the offside blows out a grapefruit size exit, even with the 223 sometimes or a shot that is just a little low means a tripod coyote and he can go for miles missing a leg.. If I shoot centre of ribs, and he moves or I shoot a little far back he will die but it won't be where he was shot.

I know some guys will break a leg and not bother going after a runner, but that doesn't fit me. If he's hit, I'm probably going to find him and kill him. The problem is it may take the rest of the day to find a coyote I shot at noon.

If this stuff was easy even guys from Sask would be killing them.lol.

I'm kidding.. some of the most serious coyote killers I know are from Sask. The other wish they were.:)

I'm close enough to Sask border that I can set up on the hill in my east pasture and call coyotes from Sask. :)

Obviously what you're doing is working. Keep doing it.:happy0180:

Do you concern yourself about moon phases, time of day, higher wind, fog or snow?

shakeyleg02
12-10-2016, 12:52 PM
What time of day is best for you Red.? I always thought morning or evening but probly doesnt matter with temps like this they should be hungry

Redfrog
12-10-2016, 01:27 PM
I really don't have a 'special" time of day. I've called hard all day and not seen a coyote and at 3:30 in the afternoon, called in 7 and killed 4 of them. Other time we've called in 18 before noon.

I howl a lot. Every stand pretty much starts with a howl or two. Some callers say it's a waste of time except early morning or late afternoon, so I make it a point to howl at noon, and often only howl , no distress call just to prove a point. Does it work? Yep about 70% of the time and in one place I call it works every time. We end up with doubles or triples and then we laugh and laugh.:sHa_shakeshout: you know cause howling at noon never works :)

I think coyotes are more active early and late and some places mostly nocturnal, but I also believe a caller can wake them up and motivate them through the day.

I don't like to call in the heavy wind. I go home when the tumbleweeds start rolling, sooner if it's below zero. I have called them in under nasty conditions but not a lot and not often, and only because I had a client.

My favorite time to call is when there is no wind and two inches of hoar frost on everything. Sound carries and everything looks like Christmas card. The only thing missing is the red mist.:)

It is easier to 'spark" up the coyotes around here if I howl at midnight when I run my dogs, so for sure they are more active after dark.

shakeyleg02
12-10-2016, 05:30 PM
I really don't have a 'special" time of day. I've called hard all day and not seen a coyote and at 3:30 in the afternoon, called in 7 and killed 4 of them. Other time we've called in 18 before noon.

I howl a lot. Every stand pretty much starts with a howl or two. Some callers say it's a waste of time except early morning or late afternoon, so I make it a point to howl at noon, and often only howl , no distress call just to prove a point. Does it work? Yep about 70% of the time and in one place I call it works every time. We end up with doubles or triples and then we laugh and laugh.:sHa_shakeshout: you know cause howling at noon never works :)

I think coyotes are more active early and late and some places mostly nocturnal, but I also believe a caller can wake them up and motivate them through the day.

I don't like to call in the heavy wind. I go home when the tumbleweeds start rolling, sooner if it's below zero. I have called them in under nasty conditions but not a lot and not often, and only because I had a client.

My favorite time to call is when there is no wind and two inches of hoar frost on everything. Sound carries and everything looks like Christmas card. The only thing missing is the red mist.:)

It is easier to 'spark" up the coyotes around here if I howl at midnight when I run my dogs, so for sure they are more active after dark.
Thank you kind sir

tikkahunter73
12-10-2016, 07:43 PM
Great post, enjoyed the read

Lefty-Canuck
12-10-2016, 07:46 PM
Agree Red Frog, one time specifically we called a coulee with rabbit calls for a good 3-4 sets over 30-35 mins. With nothing, then just before we left I dropped a howl and some barks...the coulee lit up and we had 5 bearing down on us instantly. Shot 2.

LC

Redfrog
12-10-2016, 08:51 PM
Agree Red Frog, one time specifically we called a coulee with rabbit calls for a good 3-4 sets over 30-35 mins. With nothing, then just before we left I dropped a howl and some barks...the coulee lit up and we had 5 bearing down on us instantly. Shot 2.

LC

Thanks for all the kind words guys.:)

Lefty-Canuck, sometimes calling coyotes is like calling cry babies, you never know what will trigger them.:sHa_shakeshout:

Coulees are a double edged sword for me. I love them cause they are perfect coyote country and always hold coyotes. They hunt in coulees, den in coulees whelp in coulees and just lie in the sun sometimes in coulees. And that what makes them so challenging to hunt in coulees. It's like walking into a rigged room. Come over the rim and stand there for a minute. Every coyote within eyesight has seen you. He's lying in the sun on the south facing side and simply surveying his domain, like a hunter in a tree stand. Any movement catches his eye.

Like a lot of situations in coyote calling it sometimes is something simple that tips the odds.

As hard as it is for me to resist walking to the rim and enjoying the view, I know the coulee will be there when I finish this stand. It may be short a coyote or three but I can enjoy the view a little more knowing I've tricked the trickster once more.

Instead of walking to the rim, I set up 200 yards from the rim. Out on the flat prairie, where I can't see into the coulee at all. And believe brother it is not easy for me to do that.:) I howl and wait:). I glass while I wait cause the coyote will often come out of the coulee just far enough to look over the prairie. So all that shows is his scull cap and ears. Now is the time for patience and a lip squeak. He heard a strange coyote in his territory and now he hears that coyote stealing his lunch. He'll come to kick ass. Of course an attitude alone won't win a gun fight.:)

They other thing that may happen with a more aggressive coyote is he will pop over the rim onto the prairie and stop. Usually he stops broadside in case he has to bounce back into the coulee quickly. Lip squeak and when he gets closer, stop him and take the shot. Be aware there may be more than one. As I said before, shoot the farthest one first if you can.
I like to be prone to call like this. If the bark doesn't stop him then I just flip my foot and let it drop back. He'll see it but only long enough to stop and ask WTH???:scared0018:

Because they whelp and start there pups hunting in the coulees, a pup distress sound can be deadly any time.

I love coulees.:sHa_shakeshout:

tikka250
12-10-2016, 09:55 PM
^^^^ THIS^^^ is the exact scenario that has been driving me nuts! recently have gotten permission for some awesome coulee country full of coyotes and i havent been able to call a $^#* thing!:angry3: i will be giving this technique a try ASAP its downright embarrassing how long i have gone without killing a coyote with my new swift.
thank you good sir. you may have just saved me a lot of burned stands

HoytCRX32
12-11-2016, 07:43 AM
^^^^ THIS^^^ is the exact scenario that has been driving me nuts! recently have gotten permission for some awesome coulee country full of coyotes and i havent been able to call a $^#* thing!:angry3: i will be giving this technique a try ASAP its downright embarrassing how long i have gone without killing a coyote with my new swift.
thank you good sir. you may have just saved me a lot of burned stands

Them dogs can be smart....often along the Red Deer River they're getting called multiple times by multiple people...dumb ones get weeded out pretty quickly.

H380
12-11-2016, 07:48 AM
Time to stop the tips and tricks Red , coyotes will soon be on the endangered last and you will be the cause ..LOL . I live for this time of year and here I sit with a buggered up hip and can't get out . Only tip I might add is if you bump a coyote on the way in to a set and he's definitely ID d you :scared0018:, I don't bother trying to call him back .Enough educated dogs around without enforcing it .He may stop once and if in range take him but other than that wait for next time ,at least in my experience..

Ultimate Predator
12-11-2016, 08:10 AM
Last 10 coyotes i killed have been under 50 yrds and dead center of the chest .17 hmr dont seem to get them broadside in tight set ups ! Good advise thanks

Deer Hunter
12-11-2016, 08:24 AM
Last 10 coyotes i killed have been under 50 yrds and dead center of the chest .17 hmr dont seem to get them broadside in tight set ups ! Good advise thanks

Good calling and well thought out stands means you never see long or broadside shots.

spoiledsaskhunter
12-11-2016, 09:10 AM
[QUOTE=Redfrog;3412656]Thanks for all the kind words guys.:)

Instead of walking to the rim, I set up 200 yards from the rim. Out on the flat prairie, where I can't see into the coulee at all. And believe brother it is not easy for me to do that.:) I howl and wait:). I glass while I wait cause the coyote will often come out of the coulee just far enough to look over the prairie. So all that shows is his scull cap and ears. Now is the time for patience and a lip squeak. He heard a strange coyote in his territory and now he hears that coyote stealing his lunch. He'll come to kick ass. Of course an attitude alone won't win a gun fight.:)

you are gonna convince me you know what you're doin if you keep giving out advice like this............has worked for me for goin on 30 years! (I'm enjoying the read!)

Redfrog
12-11-2016, 01:07 PM
Time to stop the tips and tricks Red , coyotes will soon be on the endangered last and you will be the cause ..LOL . I live for this time of year and here I sit with a buggered up hip and can't get out . Only tip I might add is if you bump a coyote on the way in to a set and he's definitely ID d you :scared0018:, I don't bother trying to call him back .Enough educated dogs around without enforcing it .He may stop once and if in range take him but other than that wait for next time ,at least in my experience..

Good to hear you're laid up . It means there may be at least a couple coyotes surviving for 'seed'.:)

Not sure how you dinged your hip up, but I hope it wasn't ballroom dancing. That would just be wrong.:sHa_sarcasticlol:

If I get busted on the way in and can't kill him right then, I just leave and come back another day.

Some days you're the "Swift" and some days you're the coyote.lol

It's odd that it's so hard to call one back when they bust you on the way in, when I've called them back after killing one or two from a bunch coming to the call. I guess that's why we keep doing it. The challenge changes each time out.

H380
12-11-2016, 03:57 PM
Good to hear you're laid up . It means there may be at least a couple coyotes surviving for 'seed'.:)

Not sure how you dinged your hip up, but I hope it wasn't ballroom dancing. That would just be wrong.:sHa_sarcasticlol:

If I get busted on the way in and can't kill him right then, I just leave and come back another day.

Some days you're the "Swift" and some days you're the coyote.lol

It's odd that it's so hard to call one back when they bust you on the way in, when I've called them back after killing one or two from a bunch coming to the call. I guess that's why we keep doing it. The challenge changes each time out. lol , thought you were my friend guess thats what I get for thinking :argue2:. Doing chores , stooped over and stood up quick and pop there goes the back . You are truly a wealth of info to all who listen , hope they appreciate it . :happy0034:

Redfrog
12-11-2016, 04:37 PM
lol , thought you were my friend guess thats what I get for thinking :argue2:. Doing chores , stooped over and stood up quick and pop there goes the back . You are truly a wealth of info to all who listen , hope they appreciate it . :happy0034:

Thanks Cam.:)
Trust me I know how painful popping a hip can be. A few years ago I was giving my lab a milkbone treat. He always gets so excited about them, I decided to try one. It was pretty good, kinda like East Coast hard tack the Newfies use for fish and brewis.

But apparently like everything else moderation is the key and I kind of got addicted to them, not giving much thought to the side affects.

So one night I'm watching TV and snacking on the couch and I twisted around to lick my butt and tumbled right off the couch.

Yes Dear came running in when she heard the commotion and wouldn't you know it, she laughed so hard she threw her hip out.

It was terrible.:sHa_shakeshout:

shakeyleg02
12-11-2016, 04:57 PM
Lmao

BUSHRVN
12-11-2016, 05:20 PM
Great info! Thanks for the time spent sharing. I've got a widowed friend with four kids that has yotes coming up right behind her barns driving the dogs crazy and looking for chickens, piglets, cats, calves, foals you name it and she wants me to come out and deal with it for her. This will help a lot.
Thanks,

calvin
12-12-2016, 08:21 AM
Now if your rifle is a wizzy sniper style 17 hmr that shoots flat as an ice rink out to a million yards, just point and shoot. Then drive out and pick up the dead coyote.

What ammunition and bullets for coyotes are you all using in the 17HMR? I have one of these and am apprehensive in using for coyotes as I have seen gophers that I have hit not really die like I am used to with a 22.

tikka250
12-12-2016, 11:53 AM

What ammunition and bullets for coyotes are you all using in the 17HMR? I have one of these and am apprehensive in using for coyotes as I have seen gophers that I have hit not really die like I am used to with a 22.

I find the best way to kill coyotes with an hmr is to sell the hmr and buy a centerfire.

AB2506
12-12-2016, 12:38 PM

He's joking. Red doesn't hunt with a HMR.

I would want to be close to a coyote if I had a HMR with me. 100yds or less.

Redfrog
12-12-2016, 01:09 PM

I think you answered your own question Calvin. :)

I know coyotes have definitely been shot dead with the 17 HMR but there are many better options.

I like my pickup , but .....

http://outdooroverload.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/01/bike-rider-deer-hunting-photo.jpg

This works too.

Or This:

http://deerstalkingdogs.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/04/redneck_elk_hunter.jpg

wwbirds
12-12-2016, 01:59 PM
It was for close encounters in populated areas. they never said if shooting on outskirts of city limits or within but when I was surprized by use of 17hmr they also added "under 100 yards".

They say the best way to assess the local coyote population is to drive the perimeter of a quarter after a fresh snow fall. while we have only had a dusting last few days it is now warm at -10 for first time in a week so I just got back from driving the quarter. Looks like they just found the meatsickle a night or two ago with 3 coyote tracks and one fox?? Driving around the quarter I only cut 2 fresh tracks entering the quarter and several leaving so I am thinking there are only 2-3 regularly patrolling my area. Probably same "educated" 3 legged pair with last years pup(s) I had on trail camera last year although I shot one of the pups on the bait a month ago.
Pickings are thin this year in these parts

Redfrog
12-12-2016, 02:28 PM
The wind is up here today so no calling. YD and I went for a drive to check on the horses. It blew last night and snowed about 1/2 inch. I was surprised when she said the varmints were busy last night. she usually doesn't say much about wildlife movement to me cause she knows it "triggers" me into kill mode.:sHa_shakeshout:

But she was right lots of fresh tracks. The moon was high and bright last night. Very bright at midnight when I ran the labs.

Interesting that in some U.S. states night hunting is only allowed without an artificial light. Last night would have been good. Certainly light enough to shoot with out a light, or Night vision.

calvin
12-12-2016, 04:10 PM
Thanks for the reply on the 17 question. I just thought you 'seasoned' fellas have found a new load of some sort. I will likely use my 7-08. I usually give them away so I am not all that concerned about hole size. The fellow I give them to uses them for raven bait. I think them buggers do more damage and cause more problems than the dogs do. Would they work for wolf bait?

Redfrog
12-12-2016, 06:44 PM
I do hunt wolves but I don't bait. I have found what was left of coyotes who met their fate at the fangs of wolves. Not much left. They looked like tree guy had put them through a chipper. so I'm gonna go with yes on the baiting wolves with coyote carcasses.

I've seen coyotes shot with 270 and 7mm and 300 mag. with not much exit hole. They were shot through the ribs and no large bone hits.

H380
12-12-2016, 08:51 PM
Thanks for the reply on the 17 question. I just thought you 'seasoned' fellas have found a new load of some sort. I will likely use my 7-08. I usually give them away so I am not all that concerned about hole size. The fellow I give them to uses them for raven bait. I think them buggers do more damage and cause more problems than the dogs do. Would they work for wolf bait?
I have taken only one coyote with my 17 hmr and it was close , under 20 yds. I use a 22-250 at normal called in distances , others have good luck with all the popular varmint cals., 223, 204 and Reds favorite 220swift to name a few . However I did get permission this afternoon to call in a spot where I don't want to make alot of noise and attract much attention and the game will be played in close quarters . I expect the 17 will do a fine job there .

Bushmonkey
12-12-2016, 10:03 PM
I do hunt wolves but I don't bait. I have found what was left of coyotes who met their fate at the fangs of wolves. Not much left. They looked like tree guy had put them through a chipper. so I'm gonna go with yes on the baiting wolves with coyote carcasses.

I've seen coyotes shot with 270 and 7mm and 300 mag. with not much exit hole. They were shot through the ribs and no large bone hits.

Hey, quick question.

You say you always start with a howl, but what howl? Female distress? Female attraction? Male challenge?

Wolftrapper
12-12-2016, 10:37 PM
Thanks a lot for all the tips and info. Very helpful.

Redfrog
12-13-2016, 01:26 AM
Hey, quick question.

You say you always start with a howl, but what howl? Female distress? Female attraction? Male challenge?

I start off with a couple locator howls. Then I glass.

Sometimes I don't get a vocal response, and I howl again a couple times.
The type of response and how far way it is will determine what I use next.
I usually try to go higher pitch to lower the threat level.

I do use the challenge but not until I have a dialogue going, and I have an idea whether I'm dealing with an aggressive or territorial coyote. The challenge can be very effective to move a coyote that hangs up and refuses to come in. I also use it with a partner to keep the coyote focused on me while my partner does a stalk and ambushes him.

FinnDawg
12-13-2016, 01:57 PM
What do you do during these cold snaps? Is there much you would do differently? Gunna head out Thursday to some real wide open grazing land with pretty much zero trees or bush, any suggestions for this type of landscape?. It will be my first time attempting to use mouth calls as well so we will see just how it goes lol.

I will also head out next week seeing as how it should be warming up significantly.

Great reading all around here, and really appreciate you sharing your knowledge!

bb356
12-13-2016, 03:19 PM
Thanks Cam.:)
Trust me I know how painful popping a hip can be. A few years ago I was giving my lab a milkbone treat. He always gets so excited about them, I decided to try one. It was pretty good, kinda like East Coast hard tack the Newfies use for fish and brewis.

But apparently like everything else moderation is the key and I kind of got addicted to them, not giving much thought to the side affects.

So one night I'm watching TV and snacking on the couch and I twisted around to lick my butt and tumbled right off the couch.

Yes Dear came running in when she heard the commotion and wouldn't you know it, she laughed so hard she threw her hip out.

It was terrible.:sHa_shakeshout:

:)

Redfrog
12-13-2016, 03:52 PM
If it's really cold I don't go out. I used to but as I get older it takes longer to do somethings I used to do faster:) like warming up.

It's blowing again today so I'm inside.

If the wind is down I try to get out at first light, It oftens starts to blow as the day wears on. It usually settles again later in the afternoon.

I prefer the wide open terrain. the hardest part is hiding the truck, but I have parked out in the open when there was no choice. I doubt there's a coyote that hasn't seen a pickup out here. I have had them come in beside the truck and come to me in the tire rut in the snow, so it really depends on the coyote.

Lying prone will give you an edge but sitting is ok, fencelines are natural pathways for coyotes so I'll set up on a post if available. Other wise I just try to get a bit of elevation and setup quickly. Have a plan before you leave the truck. If you try to stand out in the open and figure things out, you will be busted or froze up before he comes in. He will spot you and if he comes in at all he will be slow and wary.

I like a ghillie suit for cover when there is none.

This pic is from 100yards.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v50/Redfrog/705ee05a.jpg

FinnDawg
12-13-2016, 08:28 PM
If it's really cold I don't go out. I used to but as I get older it takes longer to do somethings I used to do faster:) like warming up.

It's blowing again today so I'm inside.

If the wind is down I try to get out at first light, It oftens starts to blow as the day wears on. It usually settles again later in the afternoon.

I prefer the wide open terrain. the hardest part is hiding the truck, but I have parked out in the open when there was no choice. I doubt there's a coyote that hasn't seen a pickup out here. I have had them come in beside the truck and come to me in the tire rut in the snow, so it really depends on the coyote.

Lying prone will give you an edge but sitting is ok, fencelines are natural pathways for coyotes so I'll set up on a post if available. Other wise I just try to get a bit of elevation and setup quickly. Have a plan before you leave the truck. If you try to stand out in the open and figure things out, you will be busted or froze up before he comes in. He will spot you and if he comes in at all he will be slow and wary.

I like a ghillie suit for cover when there is none.

This pic is from 100yards.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v50/Redfrog/705ee05a.jpg

Thanks a lot for the info! I absolutely love reading and learning this stuff.

The land I'm headed to has one advantage for me and the coyote, it has lots old deep irrigation trenches (assuming that's what they are) that wind through lots of the land so I plan on trying to use these for cover, hoping I don't have the coyote catch me off guard walking down them lol. Wind looks like it may make the hunt tough on Thursday but I'm going to go for it.

stc77
12-14-2016, 02:44 PM
Loving this thread. Do you use manual or electronic calls or both? I often wonder if when using my electric call, what the ideal volume setting should be. Am i running it too loud or too quiet? I often do get coyotes to come into the call, but sometimes as they get closer they hang up and wont come any further. Wondering if the volume of the call would be contributing to this "Lack of commitment" Any thoughts?

Redfrog
12-14-2016, 04:19 PM
I used to sell Foxpro and I have one, but I seldom use it.Very good calls annd service second to no one on anything.

I just prefer the versatility of the hand calls. Also the batteries seem to faail when you need them most. Like shoelaces. They never break when you are taking your shoes off, only when you are tying them and in a hurry.:angry3:

The sound library for ecallers is finite so a lot of folks play the same sounds. I think the coyotes get educated to them. It does help to try a different sound. I've called lots of coyotes in with a woodpecker distress in places where you couldn't find a tree in 10 miles. Foxpro's 'lucky bird' sound was recorded in my buddy's basement in Texas. It's his pet cockatiel screaming when he caught it to put it back in the cage.

Some guys start out low volume and get louder. I start as loud as I can. I'm far enough from the city that I don't get 'snowflake' coyotes here. These coyotes do not fear a dying rabbit. And if I'm there, well, there really are no safe places for him anyway. He may as well come to the call.

With handcalls it's easier to control the situation when one does come in. You can instantly change the sound or go to a lip squeak without looking for the remote or trying to mute it, especially in the cold when we have gloves or mitts on.

I think a lot of newbies go with the ecallers cause they take the challenge of learning to call out of the equation. Because they have no experience they worry that they will make the 'wrong' sound.

Learning to use a handcall is easy. I've taught lots of people including kids in a few minutes. Only ever found one guy who could not get it.

The only two things that I advise a newbie is don't practice in the house......she'll kill you in your sleep and don't practice around your hunting buddies cause kids can be so cruel. It's hard to blow a call when you are swearing or laughing.

Everyone cam operate a closed reed call, but they freeze in the cold weather and there's not a lot of range of sounds. With an open reed call it takes a few minutes longer but it won't freeze and you can make a large range of sounds from one call with a little practice. It's pretty hard to say 'the wrong thing' when you are blowing a call. They come into some horrible noises.

I had two clients up from New York, years ago. First stand out on the open prairie I had a beautiful horn howler. When they were ready, I blew that horn like I was calling coyotes from 10 miles away.....but it sounded like the sound my cat makes he horks a hairball. I carried on like I was still hunting and tried again, same thing. I looked down at the call and see that I had a tiny piece of grass under the reed, preventing the reed from vibrating. I cleared it and was gong to try howling again, when I saw two coyotes coming in to the call. These hunters killed both the coyotes inside 100 yards.

When the yelling and high fives and victory dance finished they looked at me like they were hunting with Obi Wan Coyoteeee.
I asked what the big deal was? I call like that all the time.:sHa_shakeshout:

Xbolt7mm
12-14-2016, 06:15 PM
I really appreciate the time you took to share all this with us all. I use an e caller but often to just spin the rabbit fur if it looks like they are hesitant to come in. Just a little extra trick in the arsenal, other than that I pack three hand callers and they are all primos, the big dog and the two smaller ones. The coulee tip was awesome. I always crawled to the edge but got busted lots, even when I tried to get bush or long grass behind me to bust my silhouette. I have had success with dropping over the edge about an hour before daylight and quickly dig a hole in the snow bank and sit in it then cover up with a white sheet and have the gun wrapped in white bandages poking out a hole in the sheet. What is your fav. Cartridge and scope? Fav brand/model of call/calls.

Pheasant buster
12-14-2016, 06:41 PM
Awesome read. Thanks for that. :shake2:

Xbolt7mm
12-15-2016, 01:00 AM
I really appreciate the time you took to share all this with us all. I use an e caller but often to just spin the rabbit fur if it looks like they are hesitant to come in. Just a little extra trick in the arsenal, other than that I pack three hand callers and they are all primos, the big dog and the two smaller ones. The coulee tip was awesome. I always crawled to the edge but got busted lots, even when I tried to get bush or long grass behind me to bust my silhouette. I have had success with dropping over the edge about an hour before daylight and quickly dig a hole in the snow bank and sit in it then cover up with a white sheet and have the gun wrapped in white bandages poking out a hole in the sheet. What is your fav. Cartridge and scope? Fav brand/model of call/calls.

Found the info asked for on another thread,,,thx

Kdoublej
12-15-2016, 08:52 AM
Great read

Redfrog
12-15-2016, 01:33 PM

WOW digging a hole in the snow is lots of work. I'm only usually on a stand for 10-15 minutes.

For cartridge I like the 220 Swift, but have killed a lot more coyotes with a 223. I shoot a 52 gr. sierra HPBT Match.

I just feel "like a Boss" with the Swift and a worker bee with the ,223.

I use a Ruger #1 in.223. and even though it's a single shot, I've had many stands when I've shot 3 or 4 coyotes with it.These shots will be inside 200 yards mostly. I try to choose my stand location so that I can actually kill anything I call in.

I like the Swift cause it can reach out. I like to shoot from 200 out with it.

For glass I like the Burris Signature 3-9 or similar power with the 'peep plex" reticle. Very hard to find that reticle any more. It is a small circle instead of a dot where the crosshairs meet. I like it for coyotes and wolves as the visibility is sometimes compromised with snow or fog etc.

For camo cover I sometimes use vet wrap. It is available in different colors , even camo, and it sticks to itself so there's not a lot of cleanup when you take it off your gun. My wife has also painted a few rifles for me with duracoat.

Tfng
12-15-2016, 01:38 PM
I'm not much for shooting coyotes Redfrog but I have to say you've shared a lot of knowledge here and I'm sure it's helping many people.

titegroup
12-15-2016, 04:17 PM
I have taken only one coyote with my 17 hmr and it was close , under 20 yds. I use a 22-250 at normal called in distances , others have good luck with all the popular varmint cals., 223, 204 and Reds favorite 220swift to name a few . However I did get permission this afternoon to call in a spot where I don't want to make alot of noise and attract much attention and the game will be played in close quarters . I expect the 17 will do a fine job there .

This is all great info, and Redfrog's advice is spot on. I 've been doing this for over 30 yrs. as well and have learned a lot over the years. As far as the 17 hmr is concerned, it's ok with perfect shots at shorter ranges. I've managed to take 11 yote's off my acerage over the last few years with it, 2 at 160yds. lasered and 9 within 100yds. All lung or neck shots, all recovered, but for serious coyote hunting I use 22-250 or .243. One memorable day a few years back was a bobcat & a coyote within an hour, The cat was called in with a mouthcall and the coyote was intercepted on our way in to our stand, he had no clue we were there, nose in the snow 70 yds. broadside, didn't hear us , couldn,t smell us, when he finally lifted his head and spotted us , the crosshairs were on his rib's, that was his last look. Cheers.

gitrdun
12-16-2016, 08:15 AM
I'm thinking of copying Redfrog's posts, paste them into Word, highlight certain points, and call it "my yote hunting bible". Many thanks. :)