PDA

View Full Version : it won't be long now...

outdoors forever
12-10-2016, 07:07 AM
This was the temp on the way to the lake yesterday morning

http://i1273.photobucket.com/albums/y414/donahueboypics/cold%20odo_zpszzvrxyu4.jpg (http://s1273.photobucket.com/user/donahueboypics/media/cold%20odo_zpszzvrxyu4.jpg.html)

This is perfect for a lake this big to get nice and ready to set the cabins up and get people out there! And with very minimal snow pack the ice will get deep very quickly.

http://i1273.photobucket.com/albums/y414/donahueboypics/cold%20lake_zpsv6gik2nk.jpg (http://s1273.photobucket.com/user/donahueboypics/media/cold%20lake_zpsv6gik2nk.jpg.html)

Really hoping to have the cabins set up and ready by Christmas and get some New Years walleye through the ice :)

Its gonna be good :happy0034:

Dragless
12-10-2016, 07:19 AM
Yea this ice building weather for sure , me and bud are thinking of heading up there on Tuesday and walk out with our tents did you happen to check any thickness?

cschache
12-10-2016, 09:00 AM
Good to hear! Ice thickness report please!:)

Dragless
12-10-2016, 10:07 PM
I guess this is just an add for ur business then ... my bad

outdoors forever
12-10-2016, 10:13 PM
I guess this is just an add for ur business then ... my bad

Sorry, I've had a busy weekend.......

And yes, that is the perks of being a sponsor on this site, I can talk about my business. :scared:

As for your question - I have not personally punched a hole yet, but rumor around town is there was 11 inches as of yesterday ( will be much deeper by today I would imagine ) and a few guys have their shacks out at Joussard already. I am not planning on going on the lake until theres 15+ inches so by mid next week I'm thinking.

outdoors forever
12-10-2016, 10:15 PM
Good to hear! Ice thickness report please!:)

I'll be drilling a hole on Monday, so I'll update then.

As above - theres been side x sides and a couple shacks out at Joussard this weekend.

cschache
12-10-2016, 10:25 PM
I'll be drilling a hole on Monday, so I'll update then.

As above - theres been side x sides and a couple shacks out at Joussard this weekend.

thanks for responding! I too will wait for 15" or so just for the reassurance! In your years fishing there is the ice basically the same thickness around the lake? I can understand the narrows being thinner or am I wrong?

Dragless
12-11-2016, 04:10 AM
Sorry, I've had a busy weekend.......

And yes, that is the perks of being a sponsor on this site, I can talk about my business. :scared:

As for your question - I have not personally punched a hole yet, but rumor around town is there was 11 inches as of yesterday ( will be much deeper by today I would imagine ) and a few guys have their shacks out at Joussard already. I am not planning on going on the lake until theres 15+ inches so by mid next week I'm thinking.

No I'm sorry I just wasn't sure if you wanted people to comment or not

outdoors forever
12-11-2016, 11:54 AM
thanks for responding! I too will wait for 15" or so just for the reassurance! In your years fishing there is the ice basically the same thickness around the lake? I can understand the narrows being thinner or am I wrong?

Yes pretty much at the "hot spots" around the lake its relatively the same. Anywhere there is a creek or stream feeding the lake it will be thinner for sure around those areas, or by any pressure ridges or big cracks, but I know when there is 15 inches at Joussard its usually the same over by Shaws Point, or Little Grassy or Cutbank.

I'm actually thinking of heading out to the lake this afternoon and checking things out, see how much activity is going on.

We've had three days in a row of -30 or close to, so I imagine its gonna be go time sooner than I expected...

cschache
12-13-2016, 05:35 PM
Yes pretty much at the "hot spots" around the lake its relatively the same. Anywhere there is a creek or stream feeding the lake it will be thinner for sure around those areas, or by any pressure ridges or big cracks, but I know when there is 15 inches at Joussard its usually the same over by Shaws Point, or Little Grassy or Cutbank.

I'm actually thinking of heading out to the lake this afternoon and checking things out, see how much activity is going on.

We've had three days in a row of -30 or close to, so I imagine its gonna be go time sooner than I expected...

Sssoooooooo did you get a chance to drill a hole or 2 to see what ice thickness is? any up to date information is appreciated! thanks

outdoors forever
12-14-2016, 07:28 PM
I'm really sorry, work and family issues have got in the way this week, and I didn't get a chance to pop any holes off the west end yet.

I WILL be out there tmrw, so I'll update this thread.

outdoors forever
12-15-2016, 07:24 PM
Well honestly a little disappointing - theres about 11 inches of ice 20 yards from shore, then I popped two more holes out to about 300 yards and it got a bit deeper at just under 14 inches.

I was really expecting WAY more ice after this bitter cold snap.

Theres minimal snow too so conditions are good for a deep freeze.

I wonder if the heavy winds had anything to do with the thinner ( than I expected ) ice?

A few people have walked out pulling sleds off the public boat launch at Hilliards Bay but no one has driven on just yet.

cschache
12-15-2016, 07:50 PM
Well honestly a little disappointing - theres about 11 inches of ice 20 yards from shore, then I popped two more holes out to about 300 yards and it got a bit deeper at just under 14 inches.

I was really expecting WAY more ice after this bitter cold snap.

Theres minimal snow too so conditions are good for a deep freeze.

I wonder if the heavy winds had anything to do with the thinner ( than I expected ) ice?

A few people have walked out pulling sleds off the public boat launch at Hilliards Bay but no one has driven on just yet.

Thanks for taking the time to drill a couple of holes to check ice thickness! much appreciated!! It is a bit disapointing about the thickness for sure, i have looked at the calculation of ice growth and there are many facters like snow cover,wind and the amount of moisture in the air and the list goes on. well lets hope the deep freeze continues! thanks again for the update.

Dragless
12-16-2016, 09:54 AM
10 inches where I went ... Big ling ! lots of eyes no jacks

cschache
12-19-2016, 07:58 PM
Anyone have a recent ice thickness update they can add for slave?

outdoors forever
12-19-2016, 09:39 PM
Anyone have a recent ice thickness update they can add for slave?

I was out at Joussard yesterday helping a bud set up his shack. 18 - 20 inches of ice, about 9 shacks on the ice. 1/2 ton picks up driving out no problem.

Hilliards Bay/ Shaws Point side, only 2 shacks out so far, pretty rough access, lots of uneven ice.

I actually have not drilled a hole since last week, so I have no update on thickness, but the activity is starting to happen!

I cannot comment on further east on the lake, I pretty much stick to my side. :)

Dragless
12-20-2016, 03:38 AM
Going back Thursday assineu canyon creek area I'll check back with thickness report from there probably less than jous but not far behind hopefully I can drive on

cschache
12-20-2016, 08:53 AM
Thank you fellas!! Fish on!!

Dragless
12-23-2016, 05:28 PM
20 inches out here right now between the narrows and canyon creek somewhere slaying the big jacks all day caught my limit of walleye in 1/2hour been trying for burbs ever since the bite is definitely on right nowhttp://i906.photobucket.com/albums/ac268/unce420/Mobile%20Uploads/2016-12/70070B87-71DC-4846-A0A4-58365085BD68.jpg http://i906.photobucket.com/albums/ac268/unce420/Mobile%20Uploads/2016-12/83E0BFAB-E5E8-4E4D-8CF2-46FBC6AE7065.jpg