PDA

View Full Version : Atv or sled for ice fishing

prosnowsk8er
12-11-2016, 08:46 PM
Tossing around the idea of picking up an older atv or sled to use for ice fishing, kinda thinking a quad is more practical because I could use in the summer a bit.

Thoughts? Any suggestions on decent older sleds or at least what to stay away from? I know nothing about sleds to be honest

Thanks

Hunter4ever12
12-11-2016, 08:55 PM
I just picked up a sled for the same reason. Didn't go with a quad cuz I have a side by side for summer. Can't really give you any ideas on older due to I bought brand new. Sounds like if your looking for a summer/winter toy quad would make more sense. Good luck on your search and ice fishing season.

RavYak
12-11-2016, 09:05 PM
Quad works good for getting around on the lakes most of the time and will work for getting to remote lakes during early season and on winters with little snow like last winter.

If you get a bunch of snow your hooped though.

Willowtrail
12-11-2016, 10:04 PM
I used to have a quad and never had any huge issues with it except the year of the flood water. I now have a side by side and it's great. Picked up a sled tent last winter and am in the process of assembling it. It's going to be great behind the ranger.

If you get a quad the fishin hole amhas a massive jet sled, I think it was $220 and is roughly 4' wide and 6' long if my memory serves me correct. Should hold all your gear. Make sure you get a cover.

ROA
12-11-2016, 10:44 PM
Depends on the lakes you fish on and the weather. If there is not much snow a quad is fine. If you are a fair weather fisherman a quad is or probably fine for cold weather starting. I use a sled now because I have had issues with both points with quads.

prosnowsk8er
12-11-2016, 11:13 PM
Thanks guys

SamSteele
12-12-2016, 07:04 AM
I use a quad since that's what I have for plowing the driveway and hunting. I only had issues once when there was a lot of snow and I think chains would have helped "bite" the ice and give traction.

That said I wish I had a sled just for ice fishing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Fil_Can_Yakker
12-12-2016, 07:19 AM
My ride..

neilsledder
12-12-2016, 09:05 AM
I use my 900 ranger with about 600 tire studs in the tires. Not much stops that it's great for ice fishing. Had it in 2'-3' of snow and it didn't get stuck once. Out on Utikema there was lots of flood water/ice it tractoref through that no issues, I pulled a Yamaha rhino off the ice cause he would go 10' then get stuck again. The studs are the key! Any atv dealer usually has them. Don't use sheet metal screws as they wear to fast. My studs are three years old now and still good.

nast70
12-12-2016, 09:10 AM
Sled all the way. You will be way warmer on a sled than a quad, and you will get where you are going faster and ready for action.
Winter and quads don't mix well. Snow and ice are really bad for axles and CV boots. Get the proper machine for the time of year and you will be way happier.

JohninAB
12-12-2016, 09:12 AM
My ride..

Nice setup. I am looking at getting tracks for my quad just for that very purpose.

Fil_Can_Yakker
12-12-2016, 09:17 AM
Nice setup. I am looking at getting tracks for my quad just for that very purpose.

Thanks, sold my first quad and bought a snowmobile..sold the snowmobile and bought this Honda foreman added the tracks now I am happy:sHa_shakeshout::sHa_shakeshout:...she's ready for summer and winter.

Mike_W
12-12-2016, 10:06 AM
My ride..

Have you hit a lake with flood water and this setup?
If so how did it perform?

FishHunterPro
12-12-2016, 10:18 AM

I would bet it's not that great , I tried my quad with chains on flood water and couldn't get anywhere. My sled you had to gun it till you found some good snow or ice .

FishHunterPro
12-12-2016, 10:20 AM
Nothing's going to beat a sled for ice fishing, the quad is ok but once you get it in overflow your done.

FISHBATTEREDBEER
12-12-2016, 10:25 AM
A set of tracks for a quad are 3500-4000$ I believe,they do break and you lose 30% of your speed,they are suited for 700cc machines min.For 4000$ you can buy a cheap sled for winter.

StringTheory
12-12-2016, 12:43 PM
I just bought a brute force 750 to use almost exclusively for ice fishing. Remember more snow means more horsepower. Get some aggressive tires and you wont have a problem. Not that you will have much problems with getting stuck. Most lakes have a nice packed down path to the good spots by February anyway!

Mike_W
12-12-2016, 12:55 PM
I would bet it's not that great , I tried my quad with chains on flood water and couldn't get anywhere. My sled you had to gun it till you found some good snow or ice .

I was just thinking you would have better "flotation" with the tracks and might not break through the flood. but your enemy will always be getting high centered.

neilsledder
12-12-2016, 01:02 PM
I was just thinking you would have better "flotation" with the tracks and might not break through the flood. but your enemy will always be getting high centered.

I think with flood water getting high centred would be your last worry. Tracks give you lots of clearance. The think I would be worried about is the nose of the tracks going under the ice and not being able to climb back up on top of the ice. I know guys with track and the pack a few story planks with them just in case that happens.

Fil_Can_Yakker
12-12-2016, 01:05 PM

Never tried it yet, found this :) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LV-rv4zDJF8

mikeym
12-12-2016, 02:47 PM
have both a quad and skidoo i use for ice fishing. both have their pros and cons about them.

quad - can pack a lot of stuff on the quad and in a tow behind sled.
- great for low snow packs or packed down snow conditions. also works better on snowless ice then a sled. better for those lakes that are travelled a lot and have "paths" on them from everyone else.
- not so great in deep snow. can get stuck pretty easily or really struggle to keep going, even the larger quads, can be pretty slow going in deep powder. side by sides don't struggle as much but still noticeable.

sled - better in deeper snow of course. even lower snow packs a lot faster to get to your spot then a quad. don't like snowless ice unless you put cleats on the track.
- the only way to get into remote lakes in winter. unless the path to these remote lakes is well travelled, quads won't make it into them easily if snow is deep.
- not a lot of room on sleds to strap stuff down, so pull behind sled is manditory. also a cover for pull behind as sleds kick up a lot of snow.
- if fishing is slow, i usually take burn around the lake on the sled. lot quicker then on a quad.

they both have their good and bad points, so really depends on where and what type of lakes you plan on fishing on in winter as to which is better for you. last year with the low snow, i only took my sled twice and that was just so i could take it for a ride. even then the lack of snow was causing overheating even with scratchers. rest of trips used the quad.

rgds
Mike

Sooner
12-12-2016, 03:34 PM
Sled all the way. You will be way warmer on a sled than a quad, and you will get where you are going faster and ready for action.
Winter and quads don't mix well. Snow and ice are really bad for axles and CV boots. Get the proper machine for the time of year and you will be way happier.

Agree, sleds are the choice 80% of the time and deal with slush, soft snow pack(spring time) and flood water much easier. I have pulled a ice fishing sleigh behind small cc sleds like a Yammy 340, Summit 580 and now this year will be an 800 Summit. Tarp in the magnum otter sleigh and go. Only issue is hard pack snow and ice. May need ice scrapers for cooling and sliders then.