PDA

View Full Version : Fishing/Hunting Boats

rollyg
04-05-2009, 05:21 PM
Hi there im looking at buying a fishing/hunting boat,possibly a g3,lowe, or tracker. Im looking at getting a jon boat, and i was wondering what everyones thoughts on these three boats are?I would like to drift the bow in it and possibly do some hunting with it, Im thinking of putting a jet pump so i can run in the shallow waters, whats your opinion on my idea? Im new with boats so i would appreciate any expertise, please help.

tonyflyfish
04-05-2009, 06:03 PM
and love it. I load it myself on and off the top of the truck. It is rugged and durable. Needs very little water to float. I use a Minn Kota 40 but have also rowed it-OK the batteries died!!! I built two carpeted decks one at the back and one in the middle with a pedestal seat. It might be hard to handle on the Bow but with a dedicated rower or drift and stop would work for sure.

T

gpguy7
04-05-2009, 06:08 PM
Hey tony, the 12ft lowe you have, where do u usually fish with it? Am looking around for one, but would like to know what kind of water you would or wouldn't trust it on. Sorry to jack this thread a little bit but I'm not experienced with jon boats and would like some info as well. Also what was the cost on the lowe if you dont mind me asking?

surhuntsalot
04-05-2009, 07:10 PM
A place to check out for Jon boats and outboard jets is Explorer Indstries in Edmonton. Give Dave a call and he can fill you in on what you might need. Found them to have the best prices and unbeatable service. (780)430-8591.

rollyg
04-05-2009, 07:40 PM
has anyone tried running one of these jon boats with a jet pump?

dodger
04-05-2009, 07:51 PM
I had a Crestliner 1236 Jon with a 5 hp on it. When I put the 5 hp into shallow drive I was able to cruise in 1' of water. A jet motor on a Jon will get you were you want to go no problem. As for using it on a river I would recommend something to keep you dry as the flat front end really spanks the waves and sends the water flying.
Dodger.

surhuntsalot
04-05-2009, 07:51 PM
A friend of mine in Medicine Hat runs Jonboats with outboard jet's (16'/70hp) on the South Saskatchewan River and loves them. There are things you can do to make them run even shallower like modifying the hull to a tunnell hull, but the size of the boat/ motor you want to run, and the type of water you want to run will determine what you'll need to do.

rollyg
04-05-2009, 08:50 PM
ya, i mainly want it for fishing the bow river and for doing some duck hunting in sloughs and what not.Pretty much looking for a boat that i can hunt and fish out, here in calgary

surhuntsalot
04-06-2009, 08:38 AM
A 12' or 14' Jon should be fine, you might want to look into a Go-Devil or MudBuddy motor on the back of the Jonboat if you are going to be hunting more sloughs. They are better suited for the mud and weeds, as weed's reed's and twigs can easilly plug the intake on an outboard jet. If it's just small sloughs or not alot of distance to cover duck hunting, even a good electric motor with a good deep cycle battery might do ya.