PDA

View Full Version : shack security/ anti theft ideas.

Eagle Trapper
12-11-2016, 09:09 PM
Would really love to leave the shack out on the ice this year but the thought of getting it stole or burnt down wouldn't let me sleep well at night. Is there any tactic or idea you guys use to help secure your own?

schleprock
12-11-2016, 10:08 PM
You could always hide a tacking device in the roof area and use a lithium battery for a power source. They sell all kinds these days that you can even pair to your smart phone.

srs123
12-11-2016, 10:36 PM
Take your stuff out and leave it open. If u put a lock on it then crooks will break the door to see if there is anything valuable there.
Also, leave the shack in a busy area with other shacks and talk to your neighbors. Most likely they can help watching things out for you and vice versa.

happyfisher
12-12-2016, 12:48 PM
have a window so people can see in.....once they look in and see nothing of value they leave it alone......

small solar panel on top with gps tracker maybe.....even a old phone...with a "spyware" program hooked up to a solar panel would work.....download app on both phones....and boom cheap way to do it.....most people have a old crappy smart phone....

i have 2 locks on mine that they would have to cut to get in....and if they get in they get maybe 20 bucks of garbage

keep it around busy spots and get to know ur neighbors......they will keep a eye out for it.....i offer some regulars on this site the key to my shack...that they can use anytime.....if they leave the shack the way they found it.....

try to make shack look unique.....so easily identifiable so they wont take the whole thing and make it there own with a coat of paint......

thats what i did

happy

Ronji
12-12-2016, 01:13 PM
I know of an individual that kept his shack on Lake Isle, and sometimes Lac Ste. Anne. He had a number of break ins etc, guys burning his firewood in the stove, and fishing inside when he wasn't there. He got back at them one day. He hid a small security camera inside the back wall. He also left all kinds of full Miller Genuine Draft beer bottles inside his shack.............only thing was, he p......ed into every one of those bottles and recapped them. Left them inside.
Pictures from the camera were priceless.
He never had a problem again.

burningfreak
12-12-2016, 02:12 PM
you could try augering a few holes around it and lowering a few pieces of steel bar into the holes with rings welded on top. Something you could use a padlock to lock a chain to and the other end attached to your shack in a manner that makes it difficult to get at. once the bars are frozen in it'd take a good bit of work to get them out and the only other option would be to cut the chain. Just realize that if a thief really wants it they'll likely take the time to get it, but if you make it difficult for them it'll likely detour the majority of them.

happyfisher
12-12-2016, 02:23 PM
yea....we were gunna buy a chain.....chain through shack.....drill a hole....put chain down hole...let it freeze.....lol.....inside shack has the lock to undo....but chain would stay.....lol

Isopod
12-12-2016, 03:45 PM
You'd lose the chain each year because it would stay frozen in the ice long after the ice became inaccessible in the Spring. Plus, other lake users might not be happy about a chain littering the lake bed every year.

happyfisher
12-12-2016, 03:54 PM
lol i know...thats why we didnt do it......lol

happy

Sooner
12-12-2016, 04:17 PM
Framed metal screens on hinges on every window and door with some kind of pipe covering the lock so you can't get bolt cutters on the lock? One of the farmers i met through work had this kind of set up on a shop door and a gate into his place. Had to reach into the pipe with key in hand and un lock/lock back up.

FISHBATTEREDBEER
12-12-2016, 04:43 PM
Thats it,I'm dragging a seacan out and welding the door shut before I leave:)

Eagle Trapper
12-12-2016, 06:28 PM
Thats it,I'm dragging a seacan out and welding the door shut before I leave:)

It has almost come to that. Thanks for sharing all the good ideas!