PDA

View Full Version : Outfitters in the US

Deerhunt
12-11-2016, 11:46 PM
Hello Folks,

I got busy this hunting season with work and did not get to hunt enough. With the hunting season over, I am considering going to the states (any nearby state) to hunt either whitetail or elk with an outfitter. I hate to get ripped off and was wondering if you guys might know a good and honest outfitter...hopefully that is not too expensive either.

Thank you in advance.

tatonka2
12-12-2016, 08:07 AM
Keep in mind that an outfitter isn't required in the U.S. for nonresident hunters. In Montana, you should be able to find decent hunting for whitetail and mule deer without an outfitter. Mule deer numbers here are up considerably and whitetails have bounced back pretty well from the EHD that hit a few years back. Elk would be more difficult without an outfitter but not impossible. An outfitter would be able to get you back in away from the crowds... I can't recommend any particular outfitter, but there are websites that have hunter reviews of outfitters that would be helpful... Here's one:

http://www.bowsite.com/bowsite/OUTFITTERREPORTS/outfitter2.cfm

glenn1911
12-12-2016, 09:27 AM
Keep in mind that an outfitter isn't required in the U.S. for nonresident hunters. In Montana, you should be able to find decent hunting for whitetail and mule deer without an outfitter. Mule deer numbers here are up considerably and whitetails have bounced back pretty well from the EHD that hit a few years back. Elk would be more difficult without an outfitter but not impossible. An outfitter would be able to get you back in away from the crowds... I can't recommend any particular outfitter, but there are websites that have hunter reviews of outfitters that would be helpful... Here's one:

Thanks for the tip.
Great site

fordtruckin
12-12-2016, 02:27 PM

Pretty sure it depends on the state your in.

tatonka2
12-12-2016, 06:06 PM
Pretty sure it depends on the state your in.

There are no states that require a nonresident use an outfitter with the exception of some wilderness areas in Wyoming. Alaska does, of course, for certain species but this post was about deer and elk hunting. Montana (most states...perhaps all, I'm not sure) does not differentiate between a non-resident that is a U.S. citizen and a non-resident from another country... Here, all non-residents are treated the same. We have a limited number of non-resident deer and elk licenses available, but most years they are not all sold (because they've become a bit pricey). Non-residents can also apply for all special drawings (sheep, goat, moose, antelope, etc.). State law stipulates that no more than 10% of the special licenses can go to non-residents, but they at least have a chance. I used to see a fair number of hunters from Alberta and Saskatchewan who would come down here to hunt antelope, but since our population plummeted after the winter of 2012 I've not seen any non-resident hunters as they've cut the special permits in our district to 100 (which means non-residents can only receive 10 of those permits).

I would like to see some kind of type of reciprocal agreement between Montana and Alberta that would allow us to hunt in Alberta without using an outfitter, but I don't see that happening. Such is life... :)