PDA

View Full Version : Best Ice Rod

sns2
12-12-2016, 07:24 AM
Hey guys. I want to get a really good ice rod. I fished walleye for too many years with a 2x4 (aka ugly stik) before switching to St. Croix. I don't want to repeat that again. Which way should I be looking? Thanks in advance for all suggestions.

RavYak
12-12-2016, 07:40 AM
The st croix and fenwick elite techs are both good rods.

yetiseeker
12-12-2016, 07:59 AM
St Croix has come out (last year) with a new rod for walleye. I forget the name of it right now, but it's light blue and comes in two lengths.

Fishin Hole as well as The Reel Doctor have them. About $50 per rod but IMO - worth it!

Great action, sensitive, and have the back bone lots of rods miss.

yetiseeker
12-12-2016, 08:01 AM
The St Croix rod series above are the "Premier Ice" rod series.

Willowtrail
12-12-2016, 08:06 AM
I use fenwick elite tech for my walleye and perch rods. About 3 years now and love them

Scott N
12-12-2016, 08:41 AM
By coincidence, I tried out my new Fenwick elite tech this weekend. I won't say it's "the best" rod, but I loved this model after one use.... pretty decent price too.

sureshot
12-12-2016, 08:52 AM
The Fenwick HMG is a greal rod also and they are on sale at wholesale for 19 bucks

JohninAB
12-12-2016, 08:56 AM
I use the Fenwick Elite Tech as well. has worked well for me.

Am going to give the St Croix Mojo offering a try this year as I am rigging up a couple of more rods.

FlyTheory
12-12-2016, 09:34 AM
St croix now has mojo ice. I'm gonna pick one up. I use a fenwick medium action and it's pretty good.

PerchBuster
12-12-2016, 09:54 AM
Jason Mitchell series rods and the Bro series offered by Frabill are the best I have used for both Perch and Walleye. They have various styles depending on your style of fishing and target species. I also have the St. Croix rods and they are just about as good in my opinion. I tried the Fenwick and it's just a very basic rod in my opinion, don't use it anymore. My Jason Mitchell rod is 26" Light Action and is good for Jumbo Perch and Walleye. Super sensitive tip and enough back bone to haul in a 10# plus Jack if need be.

chop
12-12-2016, 10:04 AM
If you want a high end rod look at JT custom rods or tuned up custom.
There not cheap but you get what you pay for!

Poppa
12-12-2016, 10:21 AM
Jason Mitchell series rods and the Bro series offered by Frabill are the best I have used for both Perch and Walleye. They have various styles depending on your style of fishing and target species. I also have the St. Croix rods and they are just about as good in my opinion. I tried the Fenwick and it's just a very basic rod in my opinion, don't use it anymore. My Jason Mitchell rod is 26" Light Action and is good for Jumbo Perch and Walleye. Super sensitive tip and enough back bone to haul in a 10# plus Jack if need be.

I actually want to try the Frabill "Gussy" rods....made by FLW competitor from Kenora, Ont, Jeff "Gussy" Gustafson. They look wicked...38" Med Heavy...perfect for Lakers and Eyes.

Skoaltender
12-12-2016, 12:09 PM
13 fishing makes some decent rod/reel combos.

AdAMxr
12-12-2016, 12:13 PM
Really liking my fenwick aetos I pick up this year.

Tabers Best
12-12-2016, 06:20 PM
Wont say whats best but will tell u that the Bro series is far from it. Bad experience with the quality of 2 of them.

MOUNTAIN MICKEY
12-12-2016, 06:38 PM
Hard to believe but an old timer in my cresent has been using nothing but a paint stir stick for better than 65 years. Big and small lakes around here. Works for him. He just wraps his line around the stick and lets out the "right" length to do the job. I have been on the receiving end of a lot of good fish feeds from him. Wish he would buy a new Skidoo though as rescuing him is getting more frequent.

npauls
12-12-2016, 10:32 PM
I picked up a 42" fenwick elite in a medium action last year and it is my go to walleye rod. I have frabill bro series rods that are decent. The frabill fish hunters in a medium that is alright and also a very expensive custom thorne bros walleye rod that is very nice but that elite tech is always the one i seem to go to.

I am actually looking to trade my old zercom flasher that is surplus to me for the same rod in a medium heavy.

Remps17
12-14-2016, 09:49 AM
Depending your price range. Tuned up custom rods out of the states are incredible. Worth every penny and as the name describes, you can customize your handle thread colour and length.

Dom4
12-14-2016, 09:54 AM
I know lots of guys do not talk about it but i would take a look at the 13 fishing rod ice combos. I picked up one of there combos two years ago and it has been much better than i expected it to be. Awesome feel and very durable!

Mayhem
12-15-2016, 04:16 PM
Really liking my fenwick aetos I pick up this year.

X2 on that...I have 2 for walleye and one for perch. The micro-guides can be a bit of a PIA but still one of my favorites, and I have tried a lot of different ice rods.

sns2
12-15-2016, 05:08 PM
I ended up picking up a couple of St Croix Mojo Ice.

beaver river game
12-20-2016, 05:54 PM
Depending your price range. Tuned up custom rods out of the states are incredible. Worth every penny and as the name describes, you can customize your handle thread colour and length.

X2 have to many rods to count but the tuned up custom rods are way better then The st croixs I had previous.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

JohninAB
12-27-2016, 08:10 AM
Picked up a St Croix Mojo 28" Ultra Light ice rod before Christmas and took it on its maiden voyage yesterday brookie fishing. Impressed with its sensitivity and feel. Definitely satisfied with the purchase and have no hesitations in recommending one.

I paired it with a Frabill S261 straight line reel and 5lb Power Pro Ice Tec line with a 8lb (all I had handy) flourocarbon line as a leader.

Poppa
12-27-2016, 08:49 AM
Big sale at Wholesale Sports right now, with all rods 35% off. Got a Fenwick HMG (actually, got 2) for $16...good deal on a really high quality rod. Bought the GF a St Croix 36" M for (hopefully) slaying some big greenback walters on Big Windy later this week...

Mackinaw
12-27-2016, 09:22 AM
Got one made by Thorne Bros. Best rod I've ever had.

Mack