PDA

View Full Version : Gull Lake water clarity

.270fan
12-13-2016, 05:34 PM
How's the water clarity at Gull Lake so far this year ?

The past couple of years the water clarity on the south end by Brownlows has been poor, 3-4 feet visibility with the camera near the bottom.

I'm trying to decide whether to put my shack on Gull or move it to Sylvan for this season.

yoteblaster
12-13-2016, 05:50 PM
Clear so far

happyfisher
12-13-2016, 07:27 PM
water was murky for me at brownlowes.....camera 5' away and could barely see my bait........i found it really cloudy.......

anyone else?

KDderAngler
12-14-2016, 05:10 AM
Does the wind affect the water clarity?
I was fishing at wizard on sunday and there was 40kmh wind gusts, and the water was really murky couldn't see anything on the camera. the water even went up and down in the hole. has anyone else had this happen?

SNAPFisher
12-14-2016, 01:28 PM
Clear so far

I gotta call you on this one... :)

How deep are you fishing? You posted this last year as well as you were the only person I found that thought it was "clear". I haven't fished everywhere on Gull but I've covered a pretty decent amount and I've seen nothing that I would consider clear. Sounds like this year is about the same as the last two...and will find out this weekend I hope. Maybe it is just "clear" in your mind? :evilgrin:

yoteblaster
12-14-2016, 03:20 PM
Absolutely clear. Fishing in 7 feet of water. Don't fish at Brownlows though. I try to be helpful, not tell lies.

Elchinodiablo
12-14-2016, 04:19 PM
Brownlows was clear for about 6ft. Slow. Only 1 keeper white. Missed a big wally tho. Biggest crack i ever heard on the ice today. Made the truck shack. Emptied the shack pretty quick. Be safe folks.

saltwater cowboy
12-14-2016, 04:26 PM
Brownlows was clear for about 6ft. Slow. Only 1 keeper white. Missed a big wally tho. Biggest crack i ever heard on the ice today. Made the truck shack. Emptied the shack pretty quick. Be safe folks.
We were there for that crack as well. never heard or felt one like that before.
1 white couple small perch.
Could barely see wire worm in 7 -8 ft of water
Best ice i've seen in years. Clear and solid 12 inches
Salty

Elchinodiablo
12-14-2016, 05:15 PM
Yeah Salty

That crack still makes me shake!!! I thought for sure someone was going in. I was standing next to my truck and heard it and my whole truck shook. Scariest ever.

anthony5
12-14-2016, 07:31 PM
Yeah Salty

That crack still makes me shake!!! I thought for sure someone was going in. I was standing next to my truck and heard it and my whole truck shook. Scariest ever.

Nothing like big boomers, stand back and watch the horror of fellow anglers:sHa_shakeshout: Makes for good fishin.

.270fan
12-15-2016, 07:31 PM
Anyone have an idea as to why the water has gone murky the last couple of years on the South end of Gull ?

I haven't heard of Sylvan having the same issue

Zip-in-Z
12-15-2016, 07:43 PM
Anyone have an idea as to why the water has gone murky the last couple of years on the South end of Gull ?

I haven't heard of Sylvan having the same issue

I was north of Brownlows yesterday & water was very clear down to 6 feet, my brass w/w was sparkling. Was on Sylvan (RR23) today could see my Fibro down to 18 FOW over a sand bottom, no issues. Some guy was driving around the lake with a jeep he was past me in over 20 fow with maybe 10" ice ... I left early, wonder if he made it off the lake.

Elchinodiablo
12-15-2016, 07:51 PM
And.....???? Z....pics of todays catch?? 10inches eh...good ice or scary ice?

Zip-in-Z
12-15-2016, 08:09 PM
And.....???? Z....pics of todays catch?? 10inches eh...good ice or scary ice?

My adventure was cut short, got all set up and started my propane heater it caught fire, had 6" flames coming out the on/off valve, lucky my shed survived. Fished for 20 min in the cold went home & repaired/replaced the brass valve assembly.

The lake access is in good shape, there's a few small ice heaves and some flood water that came up and froze over, the ice is nice and clear with very little snow cover, just enough that you don't need to use your ice cleats. As mentioned 10" of clear ice, were going back Saturday.

Elchinodiablo
12-15-2016, 08:12 PM
Wow!! Nothing burned so thats good. Glad to hear you made it safe.

SNAPFisher
12-15-2016, 09:20 PM
Zip, yeah, good the mishaps didn't really ruin the day. Thanks for the update.

Regarding Gull, not sure. Maybe the run off from surrounding land and the water levels just reached a saturation point. It was never great clarity like Sylvan but it is certainly a lot worse now.

I have some new spots on the North side to try but from what I saw last year...maybe slightly better than the South side. As long as you can still sight fish, good enough.

.270fan
12-15-2016, 09:30 PM
I have a buddy who was fishing on the northeast side last year and he said it was clearer than the south . Strange