PDA

View Full Version : ***Humminbird ICE 55***

Backwoods boy
12-13-2016, 09:07 PM
Calling all Humminbird users, I recently acquired an ice 55 unit and used it for the first time this past week and found that when I turned it on it took a while for the fibre optics to show up on the screen. It was cold so maybe that's Normal?
The thing that's grinding my gears is the the signal would "jump". The LCD would read properly at 10 feet, but with the fibre optic display the bottom of the lake and my lure would shift simultaneously from 10 to 6 feet every so often. Anybody ever experience this with these units? Something Loose inside?

Kodiak12
12-14-2016, 12:01 AM
I have had one for a few years and never had an issue like that. What settings were you running it on? I can't remember if they come with a paper manual or not, but I downloaded a PDF on my phone and found it useful the first time I used it for getting the best settings for quality.

slingshotz
12-14-2016, 12:29 AM
Nope not normal at all. I've used it in -30 and it's pretty much instant on.

It can be pretty sensitive so if the water is murky or has lots of bugs in it, it will throw the readings all over the place so you need to dial down the gain.

I've had mine for many years and the only issue I had was breaking the transducer cord but totally my fault as I was careless with my auger blade.

Backwoods boy
12-14-2016, 06:59 AM
I turned it onto demo mode which is supposed to send it to 12.0 feet. But it slowly goes to 6 feet and then sticks there for 5 10 minutes. And then slowly tracks down to where it's supposed to be. It still works and picks up lures and fish but the bouncing signal is annoying..

Kim473
12-14-2016, 08:23 AM
If it is a older unit and not new, could be that your battery is not up to snuff and on it's way out. Things like that were happening to my 45 just before the battery died. Check all connections. Ice or dirt on the bottom of ducer ? When my 45 acts up, demo mode resets it and it works fine. My 45 is almost 10 years old now and the lcd read and optic read are 1 foot different. Time for a new one soon for me.

Backwoods boy
12-14-2016, 09:03 AM
If it is a older unit and not new, could be that your battery is not up to snuff and on it's way out. Things like that were happening to my 45 just before the battery died. Check all connections. Ice or dirt on the bottom of ducer ? When my 45 acts up, demo mode resets it and it works fine. My 45 is almost 10 years old now and the lcd read and optic read are 1 foot different. Time for a new one soon for me.

That is what I originally thought but hooking it up to a new battery didn't change it.