PDA

View Full Version : utikuma netting

hockeyfish
04-05-2009, 10:42 PM
why do the netters waste the whitefish...i saw a ton of of them on the ice...woulda kept a couple but didn't know how long they were there

might call fish and wildlife

deanmc
04-05-2009, 10:45 PM
Just a guess but maybe they cutters like in Slave???

Penner
04-06-2009, 08:43 AM
The White's are appearently loaded with tapeworm cysts thus they have little market value and are left on the ice. This is fairly common for Whitfish in many Nothern Alberta lakes. Unsure if it is actually legal to do this but as I understand it, its common practice on Utikuma.

Couleestalker
04-06-2009, 08:51 AM
Peraps there not whitefish, I'm guessing they are Tulibee (Cisco) wich are not a game fish therefore can be wasted.

hockeyfish
04-06-2009, 04:22 PM
some of them were ciscoes and some were whitefish, i could tell by there mouths, and actually the limit on whitefish and ciscoes combined are 10...so they kind of are a gamefish, and therefore they cannot be wasted.

and they shouldn't commercial net a northern lake if their so worried about worms ..you can't be affected by it anyway(you would have to get eaten by a northern pike)..why don't they just scrape the worms off?

they wern't natives either..so if i have to follow the rules, they have to follow the rules

deanmc
04-06-2009, 06:04 PM
some of them were ciscoes and some were whitefish, i could tell by there mouths, and actually the limit on whitefish and ciscoes combined are 10...so they kind of are a gamefish, and therefore they cannot be wasted.

and they shouldn't commercial net a northern lake if their so worried about worms ..you can't be affected by it anyway(you would have to get eaten by a northern pike)..why don't they just scrape the worms off?

they wern't natives either..so if i have to follow the rules, they have to follow the rules

Lmao
You should have taken some and cleaned them. You would understand it then.

sourdough doug
04-06-2009, 06:39 PM
I'm not exactly sure of the situation on Utikuma but several years back, there was a commercial market for the whites on Slave, inspite of the fact they had cysts. The fish are edible even with the cysts, it's just what's in our heads that does not make them appealing.

deanmc
04-06-2009, 07:21 PM
I'm not exactly sure of the situation on Utikuma but several years back, there was a commercial market for the whites on Slave, inspite of the fact they had cysts. The fish are edible even with the cysts, it's just what's in our heads that does not make them appealing.

Yes I think thats why they call them cutters. "Cut" them and can them. they gross me out . But thats why I dont catch them.

I am not sure why they would have caught so many. If nets are set properly they should have caught very few.

It is a shame to see them wasted.

KyleM
04-06-2009, 08:23 PM
Oh man, smoked whitefish is one of my favourites.
Its meat has tons of oils so they can stay in the smoker much much longer without totally drying out. You can get some amazing flavour out of them.

hockeyfish
04-06-2009, 08:39 PM
Lmao
You should have taken some and cleaned them. You would understand it then.

lmao?:huh:i don't remember telling any jokes..

and if i caught one, i would definitely clean it...all i would have to do is scrape off the worms..

you could get rid of world hunger with all those wasted fish

Penner
04-07-2009, 08:21 AM
Well Utikuma is a unique body of water. I'm 100% against net/commercial fishing in any body of water in Alberta in any form (commercial or sustenance) except on lakes such as Utikuma because it is so prone to summer/winterkill. If the fish stands a good chance of dying someone may as well make us of it the walleye and pike that is.

We caught some Whitefish out of a lake in the Lac La Biche region a few years back and after fillet some of our catch we found some cysts. We took the fish into a SRD office in Edmonton and question if the meat was safe to eat. The officer kindly explained the entire situation to us and then noted at the end of the explanation that the meat after being cooked properly is perfectly safe to eat. I then said if I were to smoke this fish and I were to bring back some of those smoked fillets would he like to have some. He laughed and smiled and said no thanks. That was all I needed.

That Whitefish wound up going straight into the SRD garbage can and the officer even kindly tossed it away for us.

hockeyfish
04-07-2009, 04:23 PM
Well Utikuma is a unique body of water. I'm 100% against net/commercial fishing in any body of water in Alberta in any form (commercial or sustenance) except on lakes such as Utikuma because it is so prone to summer/winterkill. If the fish stands a good chance of dying someone may as well make us of it the walleye and pike that is.

We caught some Whitefish out of a lake in the Lac La Biche region a few years back and after fillet some of our catch we found some cysts. We took the fish into a SRD office in Edmonton and question if the meat was safe to eat. The officer kindly explained the entire situation to us and then noted at the end of the explanation that the meat after being cooked properly is perfectly safe to eat. I then said if I were to smoke this fish and I were to bring back some of those smoked fillets would he like to have some. He laughed and smiled and said no thanks. That was all I needed.

That Whitefish wound up going straight into the SRD garbage can and the officer even kindly tossed it away for us.

i guess that your choice....next time give it to me :lol:

but yeah, i see your point on utikuma and the winterkill thing...do you know the last time it winterkilled, cuz it did have some nice perch in it..

caught a jumbo with a large jig and smelt...hit it right when i dropped it down the whole.

Penner
04-08-2009, 01:13 PM
I heard last winter it had a significant winterkill. The lake seems to always recover on its own and usually in a short period of time.

deanmc
04-08-2009, 09:21 PM
lmao?:huh:i don't remember telling any jokes..

and if i caught one, i would definitely clean it...all i would have to do is scrape off the worms..

you could get rid of world hunger with all those wasted fish

Your right not a joke. Sorry.

lensgarage
04-11-2009, 03:39 PM
by all means call them. Rules are rules, and that is a complete waste and bad on all of us