PDA

View Full Version : BC Fishing Highway (Hwy 24)

Deep
12-15-2016, 12:55 PM
Looking for advice/ info. regarding BC's Fishing Highway. Being an exclusive trout guy (C&R) I am planning a trip out west. Beautiful area and many places to check out. Before I check the regs- is the area "Barbless"? Thanks.

Johnny G1
12-15-2016, 03:29 PM
It is not barbless, but I lake fish but know a lot of fly fishermen here that use barbless hooks, new regs coming next spring here in BC requarding catch limits etc.

johnny2
12-18-2016, 11:16 AM
I believe the stocked lakes are barbed or barbless optional, but many streams & rivers are barbless only. A study of the current regs. for Cariboo area should be done. Good luck, lots of options in that part of BC.

idaman
12-18-2016, 02:59 PM
I believe the stocked lakes are barbed or barbless optional, but many streams & rivers are barbless only. A study of the current regs. for Cariboo area should be done. Good luck, lots of options in that part of BC.

Any flowing water in BC is single barbless, lakes you can use a crankbait with 3 trebles unless otherwise stated for the body of waterOnly single or barbless if it's states...eg.
Shuswap is single & barbless
Okanagan lake is just barbless

waterninja
12-18-2016, 03:10 PM
I was hunting the area between Clearwater and Hundred Mile house in Sept. What a selection of beautiful trout lakes to choose from. Hope you have a great trip.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Deep
12-19-2016, 06:57 AM
Thanks for the responses- hoping to get lots of info during the long hard water time of the year.... Merry Christmas to y'all.

goose
12-19-2016, 07:20 AM
Sheridan and Bridge lake are pretty good as well as horsefly. If you go to Sheridan early in the spring for the chrominid hatch you'll pro:sHa_shakeshout:bably catch a couple of monsters!!
Cheers
Goose

Deep
12-22-2016, 08:57 AM
Starting to get some info. about this area of BC. As a retiree the Little Fort location would be a great spot to head out from for many lakes and variety of fishing experiences.

Big Red 250
12-22-2016, 09:43 AM
Also a great little fly fishing shop at Little Fort. Also heard of great fishing at Big Lake, I think that's what it's called on the way to Horsefly.

Flieguy
12-22-2016, 10:22 AM
Any flowing water in BC is single barbless, lakes you can use a crankbait with 3 trebles unless otherwise stated for the body of waterOnly single or barbless if it's states...eg.
Shuswap is single & barbless
Okanagan lake is just barbless

this ^^^

most lakes you can use a barb but some you cannot, you have to check to see if the lake is listed in the exceptions to the zonal rules, kind of like Alberta. Also some lakes in BC are closed to ice fishing

Also a great little fly fishing shop at Little Fort. Also heard of great fishing at Big Lake, I think that's what it's called on the way to Horsefly.

Little fort fly shop is closed all winter unfortunately, reopens in may I believe

32-40win
12-23-2016, 02:56 AM
http://www.env.gov.bc.ca/fw/fish/regulations/docs/1517/fishing_synopsis_2015-17_region3.pdf

http://www.env.gov.bc.ca/fw/fish/regulations/docs/1517/fishing_synopsis_2015-17_region5.pdf

Hwy 24 covers two regions, some lakes are barbless.

Ice off isn't usually til the week of May 1st up there.

32-40win
12-23-2016, 03:32 AM
Something funky I never noticed before, in a fly fish only lake, you cannot attach a float or bobber to the line, which I gather would mean no strike indicators ? They would qualify as a float, I would think. At least, the round plastic or foam ones would.

Deep
12-23-2016, 08:58 AM
Thanks 32-40. No float/strike indicator? Hummm.

idaman
12-23-2016, 09:55 AM
Something funky I never noticed before, in a fly fish only lake, you cannot attach a float or bobber to the line, which I gather would mean no strike indicators ? They would qualify as a float, I would think. At least, the round plastic or foam ones would.

Could you reference page in Regs??? as I have never seen this mentioned, but have never had a reason to go to a fly fish only lake.

Deep
12-24-2016, 05:39 PM
What is the most effective way of fishing for kokanee?