PDA

View Full Version : Zama bison

eclipse2004
12-15-2016, 06:51 PM
Looking to head up to zama for bison hunt last week of dec or first week of January. How is the conditions up there? Can you still get around with quad or time to bring sled out?

Rambling
12-17-2016, 12:30 PM
Looking to head up to zama for bison hunt last week of dec or first week of January. How is the conditions up there? Can you still get around with quad or time to bring sled out?

Good luck, got my bull up there last year.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Dean2
12-17-2016, 12:32 PM
Quad is fine. Still not all that much snow in most places.

dale7637
12-18-2016, 07:48 AM
I don't know about zama, but high level is getting peperred with snow pretty good right now, we will see how long it lasts.

Its right at that in between stage where there is just enough for a sled, but the quads can still get around

astepanuk
12-18-2016, 08:49 AM
Were headed North on January well have a snowmobile to help out if required. Hopefully we can track down a herd.

GMX
12-19-2016, 11:40 AM
Were headed North on January well have a snowmobile to help out if required. Hopefully we can track down a herd.

Careful up there I hear the roads are slippery that time of year.

astepanuk
12-19-2016, 03:35 PM
Haha I'll be stuck in the truck on this one.

Z7fulldraw
12-19-2016, 06:54 PM
Any pics or success stories as of late

eclipse2004
12-21-2016, 08:03 AM
Guys that are lucky enough to get their bison, how do you process animal. Of course but then do you leave and process at home. ( after a 12 hour drive)..or do you skin and quarter in field when it's -20? Anyone ever look for a butcher around high level to skin and quarter?

eclipse2004
12-21-2016, 08:05 AM
Of course gut in field

elkhunter1234
12-21-2016, 11:37 AM
Guys that are lucky enough to get their bison, how do you process animal. Of course but then do you leave and process at home. ( after a 12 hour drive)..or do you skin and quarter in field when it's -20? Anyone ever look for a butcher around high level to skin and quarter?

Get the hide off the shoulders and bump area as soon as possible. We gutted in the field and loaded ours on a trailer and had a 16 hour drive to get home in -25 weather and ended up loosening a lot of the fronts to spoil.. next time I would definitely break it apart in the field..

Jim...

James_B
12-21-2016, 01:33 PM
Yes,
quarter everything and get the hide off completely! I had no meat spoil last year and we were told by a guy out of Brooks, loosing about 200lbs of meat. Those quarters are so big that they retain so much heat in all the muscle groups even if it's-20 out!

stevenjohnston2
12-21-2016, 05:52 PM
Heading to Zama Jan 3 if anyone wants to team up so that we can cover more area and try to be successful. Also if the hunt goes well we are going to stop at wmu 522 and try for elk, what are the odds that anyone out there knows of a butcher near GP, rycroft, spirit river area that might be able to process the bison while we are there for a couple of days hunting elk. I know it is better to leave it hang in the cooler for a bit so even if I have to go back u and get the processed meat I'd rather that than loose some.

Dean2
12-21-2016, 09:28 PM
Heading to Zama Jan 3 if anyone wants to team up so that we can cover more area and try to be successful. Also if the hunt goes well we are going to stop at wmu 522 and try for elk, what are the odds that anyone out there knows of a butcher near GP, rycroft, spirit river area that might be able to process the bison while we are there for a couple of days hunting elk. I know it is better to leave it hang in the cooler for a bit so even if I have to go back u and get the processed meat I'd rather that than loose some.
Wapiti Meats is just south of gp. They have been doung our meat for 15 years. Great work at reasonable price and it will be ready when you want it.

walking buffalo
12-21-2016, 11:31 PM

Check out this old Bison thread.
http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/showthread.php?t=77701&highlight=bison+forward

Hope you have a great hunt. :)

Big Grey Wolf
12-22-2016, 09:31 AM
Large animals like moose or bison need to quarter and cool meat even in -20oC weather. Also some guys have reported a turbo diesel exhaust system runs very hot and heats up truck box and can spoil large animal during long drive home.

AlbertanAngler
12-22-2016, 05:24 PM
I am planning on heading up after Christmas.
Any News on conditions or Recent Kills from this years draw?
Getting pumped for the adventure.

HyperMOA
12-22-2016, 05:41 PM
When I got my bison we gutted it. Then skinned one side as far as we could past the spine. Then we rolled that monster over. That is a lot harder than it sounds especially with the amount of snow in 2012. Then we finished skinning it. We lobbed off the head with a chainsaw. (Bought new for this hunt and only ever filled with canola oil) Then we removed the entire legs from the front quarters. The front quarters on a bison are larger than the hind quarters. We couldn't handle the fronts with the legs left on. Then we cut it into quarters with the chainsaw. We cleaned up as much bone residue form the saw. We then loaded it all into a trailer where it was frozen by the following noon. 0 spoilage. That was the greatest hunt I have had the pleasure of experiencing. You guys are in for a great adventure. Enjoy.

eclipse2004
12-22-2016, 05:57 PM
Any tips on skinning if looking to get cape done and a full head mount?

eclipse2004
12-22-2016, 06:32 PM
What do most guys do, after putting sled or quad in box of truck does not leave much room for a bison. Do you pull trailer up also? Then drive around with it all day?

ww2269
12-22-2016, 07:44 PM
Headed up on the 27th with a buddy as well.

JMac12
12-22-2016, 07:48 PM
We did the gutless method in my 2013 hunt. Four of us had it quartered and in the truck in under 3 hours. No spoilage. Caped for a shoulder mount anf the back half was turned into a rug.

RockyMountainMusic
12-23-2016, 11:13 AM

Will be back up on Dec 31 for another crack at them will help you if I can, Hoping there is more snow and less hunters than the start of the season lol

WW2269, are you taking sleds or quads? have you been up there before?

elkhunter1234
12-23-2016, 11:58 AM
Will be back up on Dec 31 for another crack at them will help you if I can, Hoping there is more snow and less hunters than the start of the season lol

Good luck Alan.. hope to see pictures of you guys big buff early in the new year.. good luck to all you guys heading up. We cut ours up today after hanging in a buddy cooler for 18 day and man are they good eatin..

Jim...

eclipse2004
12-25-2016, 06:52 PM
Headed up to zama tomorrow from Edmonton, any reports on the road conditions? Anyone else up there looking for bison pm me and we can stay in touch if we see any

ww2269
12-26-2016, 05:53 AM

Hi RMM,
Ive been there a few times but only for work, never on a hunt. I am taking a sled and skimmer just in case we need it but from what ive been told its best to just pound the roads.

astepanuk
12-26-2016, 06:47 AM
Pretty sure we're heading up January 3rd where's everyone staying were thinking of staying in Highlevel it's a little longer drive to hunt but for a little better hotel and grub were fine wth that. We're defiantly open to team up and help each other out.

Ken H
12-26-2016, 08:20 AM
Pretty sure we're heading up January 3rd where's everyone staying were thinking of staying in Highlevel it's a little longer drive to hunt but for a little better hotel and grub were fine wth that. We're defiantly open to team up and help each other out.

I have gone with friends 2 times. Both times we stayed at the econolodge. They have rooms with three beds.

astepanuk
12-26-2016, 09:32 AM
I have gone with friends 2 times. Both times we stayed at the econolodge. They have rooms with three beds.

Thanks for the info..Any on Bison location I'm open to a Pm's LOL

RockyMountainMusic
12-26-2016, 11:00 AM
Good luck Alan.. hope to see pictures of you guys big buff early in the new year.. good luck to all you guys heading up. We cut ours up today after hanging in a buddy cooler for 18 day and man are they good eatin..

Jim...

Thanks Jim will be sending you pics this trip I hope lol

RockyMountainMusic
12-26-2016, 11:05 AM
Hi RMM,
Ive been there a few times but only for work, never on a hunt. I am taking a sled and skimmer just in case we need it but from what ive been told its best to just pound the roads.

Cool were going with sleds this time too, they were avoiding roads big time at the start of Dec but there was lots of pressure then maybe different now I don't know.

We are staying in High Level this trip a bit further drive but I think its the better option. Heading up on Friday good luck to all, ill help out others if I can.

Ken H
12-26-2016, 07:35 PM
Thanks for the info..Any on Bison location I'm open to a Pm's LOL

Both times the bison were harvested close to the apache compressor station.

ww2269
12-27-2016, 12:59 PM
Cool were going with sleds this time too, they were avoiding roads big time at the start of Dec but there was lots of pressure then maybe different now I don't know.

We are staying in High Level this trip a bit further drive but I think its the better option. Heading up on Friday good luck to all, ill help out others if I can.

Just booked a kitchenet at the Rainbow Lake Hitel. That might be scary but the price is right. I will forward any info on the buf activity.

Muskeg Runner
12-27-2016, 01:47 PM
ww2269 if you want a map of some possible hot spots look me up. I am across the road from the Rainbow air port. The yard has a big white coverall tent and 4 bay shop I am there the evenings. Ernie

eclipse2004
12-27-2016, 02:45 PM
Only one day left, staying in high level. Seeing nothing and any intel would really be appreciated

Bowtech1
12-28-2016, 07:54 AM
Good luck Bison are fun to hunt

stevenjohnston2
12-28-2016, 12:10 PM
Any word on the snow conditions up near Zama? Just wondering if we are going to need sleds or if we should be able to find the heard near the roads?

Ken H
12-28-2016, 12:31 PM
Only one day left, staying in high level. Seeing nothing and any intel would really be appreciated

Where have you been looking? Is there any fresh snow up there these days, it will give you good reference where to start looking. I have been up there the last two years and it was total luck when we saw the bison. I would focus my attention in the Apache Oilfield.

BIGBULLS
12-28-2016, 05:30 PM
My son got his in the second gravel pit to the west of Zama. At that time there were a couple of herds moving around to the North and West of Zama. Other than that there was some movement on the North end of the "No Bison Hunting Area" South East of Zama. I heard a couple were taken around the Apache Gas plant and south.
They use the road systems at night to move around. Try to find fresh tracks and stay on them.

Good Luck! Interesting hunt for sure.

elkhunter1234
12-28-2016, 07:33 PM
My son got his in the second gravel pit to the west of Zama. At that time there were a couple of herds moving around to the North and West of Zama. Other than that there was some movement on the North end of the "No Bison Hunting Area" South East of Zama. I heard a couple were taken around the Apache Gas plant and south.
They use the road systems at night to move around. Try to find fresh tracks and stay on them.

That's a great bull.. congrats to your son. I got to watch my son shot his bison this year also, very interesting hunt for sure. Hoping to do the same some year myself..

Jim...

eclipse2004
12-29-2016, 12:10 AM
Luck is the key for sure, spent last 4 days driving roads and sledding around zama and apache plant. from zama lake all the way north almost up to bistcho lake, and only seen a few old sets of tracks. Found about 6 spots where bison were shot, almost all right on road or just off it. I don't think it has snowed in some time up there, fresh snow would of helped. Seen a few other hunters with the same results as me, just did the long drive home and might give in one more try in a few weeks.

Matt22
12-29-2016, 07:03 PM
Just booked a kitchenet at the Rainbow Lake Hitel. That might be scary but the price is right. I will forward any info on the buf activity.

Was that the rainbow centre hotel? I think dad and I may be making a trip back up and huge drive from high level got pretty old last time, may try rainbow lake. When are you going?

bb356
12-29-2016, 09:54 PM

Cool !!!

stevenjohnston2
12-30-2016, 05:19 PM
we are heading up on jan 3rd for 4-5 days if anyone is interested in teaming up

bubba300
12-30-2016, 08:14 PM
I have heard to try and find a fish and game officer and ask them some questions they seem to know where they are at and are helpful sometimes.

Z7fulldraw
01-01-2017, 09:59 PM
Heading up the 4th to test our luck. Staying in high level. Anyone needing help or wanting to pool resources or make a plan send me pm. Good luck everyone

Shepherd7
01-02-2017, 11:57 AM
Any one able to give an update on how much snow is kicking around? We are bringing up sleds in a few weeks but would just like to know what conditions are like -other than cold.
Feel free to PM me as well.

astepanuk
01-02-2017, 12:34 PM
Heading out in the morning plan to be in the zone for opening light. Staying in High-level

dale7637
01-02-2017, 03:39 PM
I spent the day driving around cutlines at high level, maybe 18" snow at most. A quad might have its hands full, but a sled shouldn't have any trouble at all.

Dean2
01-02-2017, 03:56 PM
Was talking to a buddy who lives in Zama. Lots of new snow around Rainbow and Zama last few days. Quad would still work but a snowmobile would be great. Just watch for rivers and ponds that aren't frozen good enough, especially any where there is current or warm muskeg. It hasn't been real cold and is only running 15 below even today. The warmer weather and a little snow keeps the terrain from freezing real well. Freezes down good once the snow is compressed.

Best of luck to all of you that are up there hunting. Wish I was going too.

RockyMountainMusic
01-02-2017, 08:36 PM
The first herd we were on got into the no hunting area before we caught them, there is enough snow for sleds but quads may still go. Been putting on 100km a day on sleds away from roads there is sign but nothing really fresh. Although couple have been killed close to us last 2 days. Sure gets frustrating covering all that ground and seeing nothing not used to that lol hopefully things turn for the better tomorrow! If you were a lucky one to happen upon them easily count your blessings I'd take a gimme about now lol

Shepherd7
01-27-2017, 04:34 PM
Who is up near high level and Zama and has seen a bison recently? We know where they have been but not where they went. At least not to follow a week old trail for 3 days just to find it went to the no hunting zone.

NCC
01-28-2017, 12:08 PM
The first herd we were on got into the no hunting area before we caught them, there is enough snow for sleds but quads may still go. Been putting on 100km a day on sleds away from roads there is sign but nothing really fresh. Although couple have been killed close to us last 2 days. Sure gets frustrating covering all that ground and seeing nothing not used to that lol hopefully things turn for the better tomorrow! If you were a lucky one to happen upon them easily count your blessings I'd take a gimme about now lol

Are you guys seeing any critters (moose, wolves, deer)?

RockyMountainMusic
01-30-2017, 11:02 AM
There are more wolves up there than trees lmao, We were there for 8 days total and I have yet to see a deer or moose track in that country just wolves and Bison. Last trip we seen a silver fox and 2 big bull bison that were so spooky we hardly had the chance to see them. Going back up there to hopefully seal the deal on a nice bull. Total critters seen is 2 bison, 7 wolves, 1 coyote, 1 silver fox in the zama area. Will update you after the final trip

RockyMountainMusic
02-07-2017, 06:02 PM
Went back up on the 2nd and sealed the deal on day 2, We did the exact same thing as the previous trip on the sleds and fortunately this time put one on the ground. Beautiful animal and sure wasn't an easy hunt for us anyway. Was a bit of circus at the start of season and lots of road hunters, some get lucky and take them from the roads and others like us need to work for them lol but i'm ok with that, we now have a way better story and memory. Thanks to all that helped I think I have helped lots out this year with the same draw and seen many success stories. I would post pics but this site is way behind in technology and I don't use photobucket etc anymore... should be able to just upload right to the forum. oh well most probably seen on AHA already anyway. Good luck to those still looking