PDA

View Full Version : Thankful:coyote down

FinnDawg
12-15-2016, 11:24 PM
Firstly I would like to thank Redfrog, and everyone else in the past few coyote threads for the wealth of information.

Today really goes to show how putting the techniques and tips from all the experienced hunters into action truly does help.

After only having gone coyote hunting a few times, and only putting down a coyote after he had already been gut shot from a hunting buddy I decided to put in some work and get out and hunt these critters.

So todays hunt,

Our first set was a personal success for myself. I let out some interrogation howls upwind and had a yote howling back! After only practicing mouth calls for a few days it felt great. Unfortunately that yote was wise and lost interest.

So we moved on. Hopped in the truck and drove down another lease road when we crested another small valley with a dried up slough, and smack dab in the middle is two coyotes, and man did they run like hell. We slowed the truck and glassed them to watch where they were headed, marked the spot on the maps app. We noticed there was a road that we could loop around and maybe get to where they were headed and call them in from there. We looped around, parked the truck and walked another 1.5km to where we thought they could end up. We found our spot, plopped down and again I started with an interrogation howl crosswind, after 5min I decided I would give a challenge howl. Sure enough 5 minutes later a mature male coyote crested the ridge directly from where we thought they would come from. It ALMOST seemed textbook...

He scanned for us, I gave a quick yip and howl, he scanned again. He didn't make a peep, but looked like he was ready to kick ass. He came down the ridge, directly towards us. I chambered a round, and now he was 40 yards from me. I keep him in the crosshairs, pull the trigger AND click... Misfire... WTF!
I quickly try to chamber another round, CLICK! MISFIRE! :mad3:

He is now 25-30 yards from me and down wind, catches a quick sniff of us and gets ready to boogie outta there. I throw the .270 (overkill I know but its all I can afford) to the side and grab my .17hmr (oh god please don't judge me I brought it just in case). He gets about 70 yards away before I chamber a round and lip squeak. He stops and turns to give one last sayonara; it would be his last mistake. I let er fly and make a good shot just behind the front elbow. He does his bites and spins then staggers off about 15 yards from where he was shot. I give it a few minutes, circle around and give him one more down the ear. What an absolute rush it was, to call in a coyote with my brother whom is my best friend and make a great shot to top it off.

We later moved to another spot and had slight success, howling in another yote who looked like he wanted to kick ass. He moved in fast with zero hesitation. Unfortunately too fast and got downwind and knew something was up before we could reposition to make a clear shot. It all happened within 5minutes of arriving to our set.

Sorry for the novel, but today was great! Thanks again for the great tips, this is a fantastic community! Needless to say, my brother and I are hooked!

http://i65.tinypic.com/242ep9l.jpg

Bergerboy
12-15-2016, 11:28 PM
Awesome! Welcome to the addiction.

shakeyleg02
12-16-2016, 06:23 AM
Well done ..congrats

Pioneer2
12-16-2016, 06:25 AM
Several million to go! It's a start........ Congrats.......Harold

Ranch11
12-16-2016, 06:31 AM
That's awesome! You're hooked now!

bucksnbears
12-16-2016, 06:32 AM
thats a GREAT looking coyote!!

pgavey
12-16-2016, 08:20 AM
What was up with the .270? Good job by the way with the 17

Dusty_
12-16-2016, 08:35 AM
Good job bud, good read too! Glad you got him, can't wait to get one of my own. Here's to many more!

tchardy1972
12-16-2016, 10:55 AM
When I sit down on stand, the first thing I do is chamber a round. Doing it while the coyote is coming in is unnecessary noise and movement.

Hawkhills
12-16-2016, 11:13 AM
http://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20161216/c5459bfa41aa00246bb3e3f2311c2ff4.jpg

Sent from my SM-N915W8 using Tapatalk

Hawkhills
12-16-2016, 11:13 AM
270 works just fine.

Redfrog
12-16-2016, 11:48 AM
And that's how you do the Hokey Pokey.:sHa_shakeshout::sHa_shakeshout:

Good job!!!! and nice looking coyote..

patriot1
12-16-2016, 11:53 AM
What exactly do you do with a coyote? I've been told they're more often than not covered in fleas and their pelts are worthless and obviously you're not eating them, so other than pest control and personal satisfaction is there anything else to hunting coyotes?

colour86
12-16-2016, 11:56 AM
put them in a bag and spray a bunch of raid in it for the fleas, then i skin / take them to a tannery and get them tanned. they have really nice fur.

Salavee
12-16-2016, 12:04 PM
Nicely Done !.. more great days ahead of you.

pgavey
12-16-2016, 12:39 PM
Two miss fires on the 270 I was just wondering if he knew why? Maybe grease on the firing pin? Or did I read it wrong? Had a Browning auto 5 do this on me after cleaning and a light greasing. Only light oil and a wipe down since then.

FinnDawg
12-16-2016, 01:03 PM
Two miss fires on the 270 I was just wondering if he knew why? Maybe grease on the firing pin? Or did I read it wrong? Had a Browning auto 5 do this on me after cleaning and a light greasing. Only light oil and a wipe down since then.

Grease on the firing pin, and -25 did the trick. Should have known better to get it all off before going out.

Xbolt7mm
12-16-2016, 01:51 PM
270 works just fine.

He was referring to the ops not working, not in general, take it easy

amosfella
12-16-2016, 02:14 PM
Congrats on the kill, man. Are you hunting for fur??

bigbaddad
12-16-2016, 02:45 PM
This one didn't get the memo not to run his mouth in the field out front of my house from his friends...He got it from me. [emoji2]

Sent from my SM-G900W8 using Tapatalk
http://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20161216/c6051cf1e440a3d8d7fa5d4934dca85f.jpg

FinnDawg
12-16-2016, 03:15 PM
Congrats on the kill, man. Are you hunting for fur??

Originally no. Simply removing pests from a friends grazing land. But I feel terrible wasting and I enjoy doing these hunts so I'm learning to skin em.

Thanks everyone for the positive vibes. Good to see some others with success too!

AB2506
12-16-2016, 04:05 PM
Congrats! Quite a rush the first called one? It was for me.

Check your bolt. If it was over lubricated, it could have "gummed" up in the cold and slowed your firing pin. Disassemble and de-grease. Re-assemble. Glad you had a backup with you.

amosfella
12-16-2016, 09:01 PM
I shot this one in may.... Take a look at his coat.... He wasn't shedding either... He dropped right where he challenged my dog. 17 hornet to the head. Never moved.

https://c7.staticflickr.com/2/1659/26626801062_5c938b397d_b.jpg (https://flic.kr/p/GyVjhW)2016-04-29_06-44-37 (https://flic.kr/p/GyVjhW) by wolverine00089 (https://www.flickr.com/photos/wolverine00089/), on Flickr

It's easy to shoot coyotes in places where they are accustomed to smelling man once they are called in. They lose caution. Just have to make sure that you kill them before they leave. Also, if you have oil spill clean up grit, cover the blood spot...

Coiloil37
12-17-2016, 11:02 PM
What exactly do you do with a coyote? I've been told they're more often than not covered in fleas and their pelts are worthless and obviously you're not eating them, so other than pest control and personal satisfaction is there anything else to hunting coyotes?

Last year Reuben by sylvan lake was paying $60-100 on the hoof for a dead dog. All I do with them now is kill them and sell them whole. Find a local buyer and turn them into more hunting toys or get setup to skin, flesh and stretch them and sell them at auction.

threeforthree
12-17-2016, 11:22 PM
Lets get to callin,,,,,congrats

spoiledsaskhunter
12-18-2016, 07:41 AM
Last year Reuben by sylvan lake was paying $60-100 on the hoof for a dead dog. All I do with them now is kill them and sell them whole. Find a local buyer and turn them into more hunting toys or get setup to skin, flesh and stretch them and sell them at auction.

I'm sure he's 'broke' reuben now!

tchardy1972
12-18-2016, 09:34 AM

If this is true the man lost his ass at the sale and he won't be doing that again.

Coiloil37
12-18-2016, 10:31 AM
If this is true the man lost his ass at the sale and he won't be doing that again.

The guys a fur buyer. I don't care the economics of his business. My post was to inform the OP how I get rid of my dead yotes. He might be paying $5 a dog this year or he might be paying $50, I have no idea.

tikkahunter73
12-18-2016, 01:12 PM
Does anyone know buyers around the Camrose area?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

bill9044
12-18-2016, 04:15 PM

Hmm that is quite interesting. MY brother works with a fellow from sylvan lake area. That fellow got his trapping license. Reuben helped him out got the fellow set up with some snares and such. Reuben bought his snared coyotes not shot for $30 a piece. My brother said hey buddy you should send them in yourself to get the best price for your work. I have met Reuben I find him a nice fellow I don't have anything bad to say about him. But if Reubens was buying shot coyotes for 60 to 100 and only paying a fellow 30 for a snared coyote which there is no fur damage. I get a bit suspicious. I am in no way saying Reuben is a con or is ripping folks off. I think your story might be a bit misguided.

I know a guy who is a fur buyer he is paying $20 per coyote big or small male or female white tipped tail or not. But no mange or mites. You bring 3 coyotes you walk away with 60$ there is no haggling or bs. PM me for details.

Yycadm
12-18-2016, 04:17 PM
Congratulations on your first called in coyote! It's VERY satisfying when you can outsmart a wily adversary like that.

No judging here for taking it the .17 Over the last 10 years, I bet 2/3rds of the coyote I've taken ( probably close to 90% of the ones I took living in Regina for four years) have been taken with a .17HMR...

I've gotten flack from people more than a few times for being undergunned, and while I'd agree to a point that it's not an ideal gun for coyotes, I've never had one run very far after a solid hit, and plenty have gone down very close to where the stood.

I've got plenty of guns in bigger, more suitable calibres, but I don't underestimate the ability of the .17 as being effective

Coiloil37
12-18-2016, 05:00 PM
Hmm that is quite interesting. MY brother works with a fellow from sylvan lake area. That fellow got his trapping license. Reuben helped him out got the fellow set up with some snares and such. Reuben bought his snared coyotes not shot for $30 a piece. My brother said hey buddy you should send them in yourself to get the best price for your work. I have met Reuben I find him a nice fellow I don't have anything bad to say about him. But if Reubens was buying shot coyotes for 60 to 100 and only paying a fellow 30 for a snared coyote which there is no fur damage. I get a bit suspicious. I am in no way saying Reuben is a con or is ripping folks off. I think your story might be a bit misguided.

I know a guy who is a fur buyer he is paying $20 per coyote big or small male or female white tipped tail or not. But no mange or mites. You bring 3 coyotes you walk away with 60$ there is no haggling or bs. PM me for details.

Here's a picture of the email from him. You want to find a liar look elsewhere.

http://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20161218/dddb515b4e857e3e4fe819ae7933d935.png

FinnDawg
12-18-2016, 05:55 PM
Congratulations on your first called in coyote! It's VERY satisfying when you can outsmart a wily adversary like that.

No judging here for taking it the .17 Over the last 10 years, I bet 2/3rds of the coyote I've taken ( probably close to 90% of the ones I took living in Regina for four years) have been taken with a .17HMR...

I've gotten flack from people more than a few times for being undergunned, and while I'd agree to a point that it's not an ideal gun for coyotes, I've never had one run very far after a solid hit, and plenty have gone down very close to where the stood.

I've got plenty of guns in bigger, more suitable calibres, but I don't underestimate the ability of the .17 as being effective

It did its job for sure. I just actually got the gun in a trade and am completely impressed with its accuracy. What kind of round did you use? Got this guy with jacketed soft point 20 grain.

bill9044
12-18-2016, 06:40 PM
Here's a picture of the email from him. You want to find a liar look elsewhere.

http://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20161218/dddb515b4e857e3e4fe819ae7933d935.png

I never said you were a liar I said you were misguided. I seen that Advertisement last year as well. And I talked to Reuben. I ended up sending my fur into auction. Hey my truck is for sale it was lady driven...... once.

Coiloil37
12-18-2016, 07:55 PM
I never said you were a liar I said you were misguided. I seen that Advertisement last year as well. And I talked to Reuben. I ended up sending my fur into auction. Hey my truck is for sale it was lady driven...... once.

Fair enough. I didn't take him any dogs last year so I'm only regurgitating what he told me. It's possible nobody has ever taken him what he refers to as a "good coyote".
By the time I emailed him last winter I was done shooting yotes for the year. This year I was planning on selling them on the hoof but maybe I'll continue to do it the old fashioned way.

hartsky
12-18-2016, 09:39 PM
http://rs1179.pbsrc.com/albums/x400/hartsky93/image.jpeg?w=480&h=480&fit=clip

Ended with one today and missed one cheers!

Hartsky

ex811
12-18-2016, 10:39 PM
Good for you FinnDawg, the land/lease holder will thank you as will hunters in the area.

I've never hunted yotes, but have always shot them when out hunten. I usually give the carcass to anyone I know who does the fur thing.

FinnDawg
12-20-2016, 10:33 PM
First stand of the morning started off rough. I lost my brand new Cabelas bipod sticks walking out to our spot. I was pretty bummed but things picked up when I started calling and our entire area absolutely lit up with coyotes chattering.

Eventually these two bruisers came in and we pulled off a double first thing in the morning. Doesn't get much better.

http://i65.tinypic.com/96kegk.jpg

aardvaark
12-21-2016, 09:51 AM
I shot this one in may.... Take a look at his coat.... He wasn't shedding either... He dropped right where he challenged my dog. 17 hornet to the head. Never moved.

https://c7.staticflickr.com/2/1659/26626801062_5c938b397d_b.jpg (https://flic.kr/p/GyVjhW)2016-04-29_06-44-37 (https://flic.kr/p/GyVjhW) by wolverine00089 (https://www.flickr.com/photos/wolverine00089/), on Flickr

It's easy to shoot coyotes in places where they are accustomed to smelling man once they are called in. They lose caution. Just have to make sure that you kill them before they leave. Also, if you have oil spill clean up grit, cover the blood spot...

Sorry for the derail, guys n gals, but I'm wondering is that 17hornet a 527 CZ? Are you happy with it?

I bought one based entirely on the ratings it had, but it ends up being prolly the poorest gun I've ever shot. Fit and finish - nearly perfect. But that's it for quality. Terrible trigger, mag probs, poor ejection, sticky/ratchetty bolt, shoots 1MOA at best with handloads, 1.5 with factory ammo. I'm convinced the ratings were all written by CZ sales people. It's in for warranty, but I'm not holding my breath.

amosfella
12-21-2016, 05:11 PM
Sorry for the derail, guys n gals, but I'm wondering is that 17hornet a 527 CZ? Are you happy with it?

I bought one based entirely on the ratings it had, but it ends up being prolly the poorest gun I've ever shot. Fit and finish - nearly perfect. But that's it for quality. Terrible trigger, mag probs, poor ejection, sticky/ratchetty bolt, shoots 1MOA at best with handloads, 1.5 with factory ammo. I'm convinced the ratings were all written by CZ sales people. It's in for warranty, but I'm not holding my breath.

Check your inbox.

LingDinger
12-22-2016, 04:38 AM
Congratulations! And thanks for the hunting story as well, sounds like a great day especially when you can share times like that with your brother. Good job!!

Pioneer2
12-22-2016, 09:18 PM
http://www.nafa.ca/wp-content/uploads/2016/01/NAFA_2016-04-WF-USA-web.pdf

Camdec
12-22-2016, 10:58 PM
Good times calling totes http://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20161223/09ae86301857a4b9c68c5e64ff6199cc.jpg

spoiledsaskhunter
12-24-2016, 08:01 AM

....not saying it isn't so, but it's the 1st cz I ever heard of that wouldn't shoot tacks and is of poor quality. ???