PDA

View Full Version : Black powder hunting

ToyeMG
12-17-2016, 11:25 PM
Just curious who hunts using muzzle loaders. I am tossing the idea around if purchasing a black powder rifle and using that for a moose hunt next year. The past few years on the moose hunts I've been on my friends have all taken shots at 200 yards or less which I think would be doable for that kind of rifle but I am not sure as I have never shot one before. Wondering if people could share there experiences hunting with them to see if I am going down the wrong path or if I might be on to some thing. Thanks in advance

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Dick284
12-17-2016, 11:39 PM
True on black powder, with a side lock, and lead conical boolets, or patched round balls?

Or a modern front stuffer, fed with pre weighed semi smokeless substitutes, with saboted pistol type bullets?

Big difference, one way is more like noisy bow hunting, with a few yards added on. While the other is like taking a 30-30 lever gun on the hunt. Give or take.

Bushleague
12-18-2016, 05:54 AM
True on black powder, with a side lock, and lead conical boolets, or patched round balls?

Or a modern front stuffer, fed with pre weighed semi smokeless substitutes, with saboted pistol type bullets?

Big difference, one way is more like noisy bow hunting, with a few yards added on. While the other is like taking a 30-30 lever gun on the hunt. Give or take.

Where is the noise coming from. I use a sidelock, with round balls I'm good out to around 100 yards, with bullets I can get a bit further than that, anyone. Cheap and fun to shoot, I shoot mine more than any of my other rifles, and I enjoy hunting with it too. I have never noticed it being more noisy than any other firearm, other than when you fire it.

For me, I`v never seen the point of using a scoped inline. If I simply wanted maximum range and capability I`d just use my rifle. Its not like theres any special season that I'm trying to weasel my way into.

ontario gunner
12-18-2016, 06:19 AM
Just a week ago finished up our muzzleloader whitetail hunt in southern Ontario.. modern inlines are definitely a 200 yard option and probably closer to 300 with a bit of practice and load development. Buy the best Thompson centre you can afford, find some good 300gr bullets a bottle of blackthorn 209 and start practicing!

Our group did a week of deer drives with the muzzleloaders.. definitely a humbling and extremely fun way too hunt whitetails..

fatboyz
12-18-2016, 07:22 AM
Like most forms of hunting there are variations and hunters go through those variations as they move through the sport. I started muzzleloader hunting with a 54 cal Thompson Center Hawken kit which I built. I shot several deer and a moose with it. When inlines came along I got a TC Triumph. I use loose powder in that one, not the pyrodex pellets. They are very accurate and quite fool proof. I recently purchased a flintlock in 50 cal and it is much more challenging. It depends a bit on the experience you want. I have been drawn to the more traditional and simpler methods of hunting and camping lately and spent several days with the flintlock deer hunting. I had some opportunities but wasn't successful. That being said, when I went to camp Wainwright I took the inline as I didn't want to miss an opportunity at a moose. We limit ourselves to 150m and had several opportunities at over 200m but didn't try. We got a nice cow at 115m.
In relation to the comment above about "noisy bow hunting", Dick means it's like using a noisy bow, except you can shoot a little farther than with the bow! It's a good comment as when using a ML, especially a traditional one with round ball or even conicals, you need to think like a bow hunter. Make the shot, give it a good 15 -20 min after the shot, pursue and be ready for tracking. They don't drop in their tracks like rifle kills with all the shocking power.

catnthehat
12-18-2016, 07:59 AM
Where is the noise coming from.
That would be from the "BOOM!!" When the rifle goes off as opposed the the sound of an arrow!:sHa_sarcasticlol:
Been shooting back powder rifles and shotguns since the late 70's .
I've never even loaded one if those inline jobs, it is not why I shoot muzzle loading rifles but many like them :thinking-006:
You have to get with some people and try some cap locks , flinters and those other types out and you will soon find out what you want to shoot with .
Cat

Dick284
12-18-2016, 08:45 AM
Where is the noise coming from. I use a sidelock, with round balls I'm good out to around 100 yards, with bullets I can get a bit further than that, anyone. Cheap and fun to shoot, I shoot mine more than any of my other rifles, and I enjoy hunting with it too. I have never noticed it being more noisy than any other firearm, other than when you fire it.

For me, I`v never seen the point of using a scoped inline. If I simply wanted maximum range and capability I`d just use my rifle. Its not like theres any special season that I'm trying to weasel my way into.

It's obvious that my metaphor went over your head.

I was asking the op, to clarify, if he wanted to try traditional black powder, or whether he wanted to get into the modern inline stuff.

I've tried both, and IMO clarification on the OP's part is required to give him a proper reply.

As for special seasons, well there's always Camp Wainwright deer, Strathcona County, and Saskatoon Valley up by GP.:thinking-006:

elkhunter1234
12-18-2016, 08:49 AM
I enjoy hunting with a muzzle loader. I use the Savage inline that shots smokeless powder. Some say it's not a true muzzle loader but you still load it from the muzzle. I have taken several deer and moose up to 250 yards and wouldn't be afraid to push the 300 yard mark. My son also shot his Zama bison with his this year at 100 yards and did an awesome job of bringing him down... good luck you will find it is a great way to spend time in a he field.

Jim..:

ToyeMG
12-18-2016, 10:01 AM
I'm not looking at getting into a special season of hunting by using it. I appreciate what Cat said about going with people who shoot them and see what each style is about. I guess I will ask around at my local range to see if others may know where a guy could go to see each style In action. I would most likely be doing spot and stalk style hunting so if there is one style that works better to that style of hunting that might be the way to go for me.

catnthehat
12-18-2016, 10:04 AM
I'm not looking at getting into a special season of hunting by using it. I appreciate what Cat said about going with people who shoot them and see what each style is about. I guess I will ask around at my local range to see if others may know where a guy could go to see each style In action. I would most likely be doing spot and stalk style hunting so if there is one style that works better to that style of hunting that might be the way to go for me.

Whereabouts are you located ?
Someone on here looks likely lives close to you and could help you out
Cat

GSPhunter
12-18-2016, 01:47 PM
A muzzleloader is a muzzleloader in my books, the rod under the barrel on my inline certainly isn't for scratching my back!

Muzzleloader hunting is probably my favourite form of hunting. You're not as restricted by range estimates like a bow but it's still nothing like a centrefire. And it's the truest single shot type hunting I've been involved with, I could fire 6 arrows in the time it takes me to be ready for a second shot with this thing! The benefit is that I only take shots I'm super sure on, works out OK!

I always wanted a caplock but it was the ability to unload an inline without having to fire a shot that convinced me to go that direction. I currently use 240gn Hornady xtp magnums with 110gn Alliant black mz, deadly combination!

http://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20161218/4fe5f7cf5172b8a57a2773addea992d5.jpg

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Bushleague
12-18-2016, 08:32 PM
It's obvious that my metaphor went over your head.

I was asking the op, to clarify, if he wanted to try traditional black powder, or whether he wanted to get into the modern inline stuff.

I've tried both, and IMO clarification on the OP's part is required to give him a proper reply.

As for special seasons, well there's always Camp Wainwright deer, Strathcona County, and Saskatoon Valley up by GP.:thinking-006:

Easy there tiger... most of the people I know who use black powder don't actually hunt any special seasons. For myself, and many others, its about fun-cheap shooting, and a challenging hunt. If that's what you`re after a sidelock makes more sense. Shooting pellets and sabots isn't cheap, and the heavy loads can be pretty unpleasant to shoot, and at least in the type of country I hunt an effective range of 200 yards literally never leaves me needing more.

Deer_Hunter
12-18-2016, 09:56 PM
Presently I am also been drawn towards more 'traditional' or even 'primitive' methods of hunting.

Reading a few books on making my own long bow, found a good source for staves and wood for arrows. Will likely begin in January.

I do wish we had more evolved game management in Alberta which featured more seasons for primitive weapons.

With respect to Muzzle loaders - if one chooses the more modern "in-line" options I will give a plug for all copper bullet options.

Barnes makes an excellent sabot round - if you like to avoid the complications associated with Sabots then Federal Trophy Copper is perhaps your best alternative.

I'm thinking of picking up a flintlock next time one goes on sale to try!

tatonka2
12-18-2016, 10:22 PM
I haven a Hawkens .50 Caliber I've shot a couple of nice bucks with. I know a couple landowners here who do not allow rifles, but they allow me to hunt with my Hawkens or my bow. They're fun to shoot, but I don't like having to clean them every time I use them. I shot this 6X6 a few years back with my Hawkens... Shot him at about 75 yards with a 225 grain sabot.

https://photos.smugmug.com/Other/Outdoor-Hunting-Photos/i-nSrNmB7/0/L/6X611-6-06XX004-L.jpg (https://tjwhitney69.smugmug.com/Other/Outdoor-Hunting-Photos/i-nSrNmB7/A)

ToyeMG
12-19-2016, 12:28 PM
A muzzleloader is a muzzleloader in my books, the rod under the barrel on my inline certainly isn't for scratching my back!

Muzzleloader hunting is probably my favourite form of hunting. You're not as restricted by range estimates like a bow but it's still nothing like a centrefire. And it's the truest single shot type hunting I've been involved with, I could fire 6 arrows in the time it takes me to be ready for a second shot with this thing! The benefit is that I only take shots I'm super sure on, works out OK!

I always wanted a caplock but it was the ability to unload an inline without having to fire a shot that convinced me to go that direction. I currently use 240gn Hornady xtp magnums with 110gn Alliant black mz, deadly combination!

http://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20161218/4fe5f7cf5172b8a57a2773addea992d5.jpg

This may sound silly but how do you unload an inline with out firing it

Bill_K
12-19-2016, 12:38 PM
ToyeMG, you can unload an inline by removing the breech plug, dumping out the powder, and pushing the projectile out the breech with your ramrod. I find that it's easier just to fire it into a stump at sundown.

As for scopes, someone asked why would anyone put one on a muzzle loader - if your vision is like mine, then you need one because you can't focus on the sights and target at the same time anymore.

Huntsman
12-19-2016, 12:47 PM
B.P. hunting?
Is there any other way ;) I use all flavours; flint, cap and inline.
It just so happens I have a surplus inline on the EE if interested.
Everything you need to get started. *Warning though, B.P. is addictive :)*

http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/showthread.php?t=303720

GSPhunter
12-19-2016, 01:39 PM
This may sound silly but how do you unload an inline with out firing it

Pretty much you can break them open like a shotgun which exposes the breech plug. The breech plug is where you put the primer to ignite the shot. In my rifle you just give the breech plug a quarter turn and it pulls out. You can then push the shot out the back of the barrel if that makes sense? Easy and saves a lot of wastage.

ToyeMG
12-19-2016, 03:23 PM
Yup makes total sense. What rifle do you have?

calgarychef
12-19-2016, 03:47 PM
I can unload my traditional muzzleloader without firing it. Many have remove able breechplugs

GSPhunter
12-19-2016, 03:51 PM
Yup makes total sense. What rifle do you have?

TC triumph bone collector 50 cal. I love it.
I can unload my traditional muzzleloader without firing it. Many have remove able breechplugs

GSPhunter
12-19-2016, 03:52 PM
What model do you run mate?

Huntsman
12-20-2016, 09:58 AM
My Traditional smoke poles sure don't have easily removable breechplugs!
The only one that did was my TC Firestorm flintlock which was meant to be easily removable for cleaning.
All others (Lyman GPR, TC Hawken with 58 Green Mountain barrel and two Perdersoli Frontier flintlocks, 50 & 32) would require a vice and a good sized wrench with a 'snipe' or cheater bar.

My inlines are simple, break the action and because the breechplug has interrupted threads its a 1/4 turn to remove. My TC Impact is threaded all the way so 7/6" socket works fine.

The Knight muzzleloaders are a bit more of a PITA but still removable.
I like their new'ish Mountaineer inline, looks pretty nice and are pretty darn accurate.

https://www.knightrifles.com/product/mountaineer-nutmeg-thumbhole-muzzleloader/

The Flint&Fly Guy
12-20-2016, 10:33 AM
I have hunted some with my tc hawken but no success yet.

elkhunter1234
12-20-2016, 11:26 AM
Here's a picture of a wood bison my son shot with his 50 cal Savage m10 ML smokeless muzzle loader earlier this dec..

Jim..

Big Red 250
12-20-2016, 11:40 AM
I been hunting with my Knight .50 cal inline for 15-20 years. Have shot lots of critters. Mine is quite a bit harder and more time consuming to dump the powder and bullet out of than the break action as it has a bolt. Still better than just firing it off tho. Cause then I don't have to clean it.
Also where I hunt there is a 2 week muzzle loader deer season just before rifle deer season. Can't remember ever running into another hunter when I'm out.