PDA

View Full Version : The K drill

coors04
12-18-2016, 12:48 PM
Hello all I was wondering if anyone owns a K drill and if so how they like it? What drill do you use to run it and if you prefer it over a gas or electric.

Thanks for your input

AdAMxr
12-18-2016, 01:24 PM
I have the k drill, first year with it been out about 4x with it.
First impression: I'm paying how much for this hunk of plastic that looks like it will break first trip!!!
So far I'm very impressed with it, cuts like butter! Low noise, no fumes, lightweight and I can drill double holes. I figure I can cut about 200' of ice with one 5.0 18v battery.
My only complaint so far is the blades seem to ice up easily. I sprayed some Pam on the blades and I'm carful not to set the end in snow while not using. This has cured that problem.
The initial investment is pretty steep 600$ for the auger and drill. I already had a pretty extensive Milwaukee cordless tool collection with about 10 battery's for work.
I'm running the Milwaukee fuel drill but I'd also consider a 20v dewalt.

HyperMOA
12-18-2016, 11:24 PM
I have never ever used or seen one in action. I had to google it, just to see it. My first thought, and it may be way off base was, " There should be a 10-12" tee bar above the flights just in case your drill chuck ever loosened up and your auger falls into 32' of water."

Just a thought.

Andy44
12-19-2016, 01:05 AM
My first thought, and it may be way off base was, " There should be a 10-12" tee bar above the flights just in case your drill chuck ever loosened up and your auger falls into 32' of water."

That's what I thought too. It has a float on the top but is that thing really going to prevent it from sliding under the ice and being lost forever? I always thought the Clam drill conversion kit was a much better way to use an electric drill to punch holes.

AdAMxr
12-19-2016, 06:28 AM
That's what I thought too. It has a float on the top but is that thing really going to prevent it from sliding under the ice and being lost forever? I always thought the Clam drill conversion kit was a much better way to use an electric drill to punch holes.

If you actually hold this thing you'll be amazed how lite it is. The foam will definitely keep it from going under. I'm more concerned with the it breaking in very cold weather then it falling down the hole.

calgarygringo
12-19-2016, 08:19 AM
Keep in mind it is a composite material not true plastic and is made to take the cold and a beating. Several people in Manitoba own them and say they have no issues in their cold weather so I don't imagine it will be an issue here. Go over to Ice shanty forum or YouTube and search it there are lots of people have them and are working well. This is not a new product it has been around for several years now. It is just getting to the point where they are getting the bugs out and they are getting out there with a good partner like Vexilar. I am thinking of getting one myself and will probably be my next toy.
For those skeptical of the safety float if you drop the leg Nils also makes one that has a piece across the top to keep it from going down the hole.
Tip of the day! Always keep your blades free of ice and snow. Many have issues with their gas augers and are not cutting as they should and don't realize it is because the base is full of ice. I have seen it many times on the ice and is a quick fix. I have had my Eskimo full of ice and slush frozen at the bottom and think I have dull blades. Quick clean and back in business.

SamSteele
12-19-2016, 11:26 AM
Anyone see these locally? Wouldn't mind seeing one in person.

SS

AdAMxr
12-19-2016, 12:06 PM
Anyone see these locally? Wouldn't mind seeing one in person.

SS

Only place I could find mine was GPS central in Calgary.

verado eyes
12-19-2016, 05:10 PM
KDrill
I bought a auger from Doug Kluge 5 years ago, I was so impressed with it I bought a second Owner or KDrill, Keco LLC,
My augers are 8.5 inch flighting and his 3 hp power head, Its a machine, also have a 10'' on my second one with the plastic type flighting, I have bounces these aroung in 40 below and they done break, I have owned husquvarna, jiffys, eskimos, and I wont ever go back, they do ice up a bit more but the pam trick is awesome, You can get 10'' flighting and a adapter to youe eskimo Z71 and its a wild machine,

coors04
12-19-2016, 06:20 PM
Tons of great info thanks everyone who has helped.