PDA

View Full Version : Sturgeon river (near St. Albert)

jpietrzak1979
04-06-2009, 03:57 PM
I keep hearing about fly fishing for the rivers as they start to open up in the spring and I was wondering if cast fishing off shore works as well and if anyone knows if fishing the sturgeon river is any good in the early spring? Are the fish there ok to eat?

Izumi
04-06-2009, 04:34 PM
I find once the Sturgeon breaks the ice it's crazy muddy and really high. Not great for fishing. Usually it settles by late spring. Fish are okay to eat, but do you really want to...

AxeMan
04-06-2009, 05:53 PM
Not only crappy fishing but it is closed from Apr 1 - May 14. Only open downstream of Sec Rd 825 to NSR. This stretch can be okay for walleyes in the spring.

jpietrzak1979
04-06-2009, 07:51 PM
Not only crappy fishing but it is closed from Apr 1 - May 14. Only open downstream of Sec Rd 825 to NSR. This stretch can be okay for walleyes in the spring.

Darn, so much for that idea, just trying to find some kind of fishing I can do while I wait two months for the lakes to de-ice. Sadly can't do fly fishing though as I have no clue or equipment.

Tides and Tales
04-13-2009, 09:35 PM
Used to fish it as a kid. I remember catching pike consistently down town St Albert, right near the library / town hall, bruin inn area. Also remember catching 1 small walleye right near a sewer outfall! I think spring, right after ice out was best!
mk