PDA

View Full Version : Ab Beach Lac St. Anne Whites

fishunter77
12-20-2016, 10:35 PM
I am frustrated fishing for Whitefish in this lake.

The most I see is 4 or 5 a day. Tried all of my favorite techniques, presentations, I will catch 2 a day which is not very good. Most on small spoons, Westakiwin specials and down to wireworms that don't seem to work well on this lake as the average is above 3lbs. Tried many spots and depths for the elusive AB beach whites. When talking with fisherman with Shanty's on the ice they are happy to catch one. Not a good sign.

I see more walleye cruise by or and bite my lures.

Is the lake fished out for Whites? Any suggestions? I have seen a few nets left in for the winter months and could cause reason for concern.

Willowtrail
12-20-2016, 10:40 PM
They're in there and they're big. See them on the camera lots when fishing for walleye and perch. Never landed a white but they are camera shy and most times I have a camera down.

I can't give you any tips for them but just keep at it. You'll get em.

waterninja
12-21-2016, 10:51 AM
I have never caught a White at Anne.

SNAPFisher
12-21-2016, 11:12 AM
I have never caught a White at Anne.

Ditto, only tried once but never caught any there before.

3blade
12-21-2016, 11:26 AM
I don't know anyone who consistently catches limits there. Very few consistently catch any, so youre probably doing better than average.

And yes, the Siberian migrants with their traditional nylon nets do a number on the adult whites, while the walleye have learned to prey on the smaller ones. Sound fishery management. :rolleye2:

Andy44
12-21-2016, 03:02 PM
And yes, the Siberian migrants with their traditional nylon nets do a number on the adult whites

Siberian migrants net lac St-Anne? :confused:

degasvegas
12-21-2016, 09:12 PM
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencetech/article-2511172/Native-Americans-come-Europe-reveals-DNA-testing-skeleton.html

linger
12-21-2016, 10:22 PM
yep set up nets from one end to another and our dam goverment won;t do a thing about it:mad0100:

fishunter77
12-21-2016, 10:37 PM
yep set up nets from one end to another and our dam goverment won;t do a thing about it:mad0100:

Too bad. With all the pressure our AB lakes are getting hammered.
Just watched a youtube video on ice fishing lake Simcoe where they stock whitefish.

Why don't we stock whites in lakes that could produce? Hanmore, Pigeon, Lac St Anne, Gull, Sylvan, Buck and a few others could be excellent lakes with some help. I have not caught a whitefish in Hanmore in 10 years! What happened?

The AB government needs to take a look at stocking more lakes with fish other that trout:sign0176:

Tater 1
12-22-2016, 07:14 AM
We have been seeing them a lot . They come in and bump they gone . Last the wife land one was a slab of a white . Not sure what works but get them in with. Small jigging spoon they go to a wire worm with mag and bump. Try moving it away they just leave . But see ending lots on cam.

idaman
12-22-2016, 08:26 AM

Haven't seen this but will definitely keep a eye open.... Why hasn't RAP been called if this is ACTUALLLY happening one call will put a stop to it right quick. Never seem to have issues getting an officer there anytime I've seen poaching.

3blade
12-22-2016, 11:05 AM
Siberian migrants net lac St-Anne? :confused:

think about it...more equal Canadians...migrated from Siberia across the Bering land bridge....I just like reminding 'them' and everyone else that contrary to their stories, they have not been here forever and are genetically Siberian.

Haven't seen this but will definitely keep a eye open.... Why hasn't RAP been called if this is ACTUALLLY happening one call will put a stop to it right quick. Never seem to have issues getting an officer there anytime I've seen poaching.

Sadly it is not within the current legal definition of poaching. The government of eastern Canada gave them special rights.

buckmaster
12-22-2016, 12:44 PM
Too bad. With all the pressure our AB lakes are getting hammered.
Just watched a youtube video on ice fishing lake Simcoe where they stock whitefish.

Why don't we stock whites in lakes that could produce? Hanmore, Pigeon, Lac St Anne, Gull, Sylvan, Buck and a few others could be excellent lakes with some help. I have not caught a whitefish in Hanmore in 10 years! What happened?

The AB government needs to take a look at stocking more lakes with fish other that trout:sign0176:

Quite a few years ago i got in touch with the area biologist about hanmore lake. She said they put out test nets but never did say why the low numbers of whites in hanmore lake.

curtis_rak
12-22-2016, 01:00 PM
I see whites on the camera every time I ice fish Ste Anne.... And they are huge. I typically don't target them, but I threw a wireworm down the hole one day last year and had a big slab break me off, it looked to be at least 5lbs...

I've found they aren't terribly camera shy as I always fish with a cam. From what I've observed, they seem to always show up before a pike comes by. I typically fish in 6-10 FOW on the edges of weed beds or rock piles

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

coyotezh
12-22-2016, 04:04 PM
I see whites on the camera every time I ice fish Ste Anne.... And they are huge. I typically don't target them, but I threw a wireworm down the hole one day last year and had a big slab break me off, it looked to be at least 5lbs...

I've found they aren't terribly camera shy as I always fish with a cam. From what I've observed, they seem to always show up before a pike comes by. I typically fish in 6-10 FOW on the edges of weed beds or rock piles

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Don't want to hijack the post. I just bought a camera and want to try out. How far do you put your camera away from your hole? 6 feet or further? I know I could try out next time going out, but just want to save some precious time on the ice..lol

Willowtrail
12-22-2016, 04:11 PM
Don't want to hijack the post. I just bought a camera and want to try out. How far do you put your camera away from your hole? 6 feet or further? I know I could try out next time going out, but just want to save some precious time on the ice..lol

4-6' works for me in most lakes. Depends on clarity.

huntsfurfish
12-22-2016, 06:45 PM
4-6' works for me in most lakes. Depends on clarity.

This^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Also depends a bit on species.

coyotezh
12-22-2016, 09:09 PM
This^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Also depends a bit on species.

did you ever try whites? They said camera will scare whites away, is it true?

Hunter4ever12
12-22-2016, 09:58 PM

I found out first hand when you have it to close and a pike wraps around the cord lol. For the whites question I had 3 come and visit,didn't seem to bother them at all.

degasvegas
12-22-2016, 10:07 PM
Maybe they go deeper as the cold sets in? Has anyone tried anything in about 20 fow as the season goes on?

huntsfurfish
12-22-2016, 10:17 PM
If fish are skittish, move camera further away.

Or try pointing camera down the water column. Anywhere from the bottom of the ice to 4-6' above bottom(or your bait).

fishunter77
12-22-2016, 10:40 PM
Maybe they go deeper as the cold sets in? Has anyone tried anything in about 20 fow as the season goes on?

Never had much luck when fishing over 10 feet of water for whites.
I like to watch my lure and sight fish most of the time.

I am sure on the very deep lakes they are suspended or near the bottom.

Sounds like the lake has whitefish. You have to attract them and get them to bite. I have yet to figure these guys out at Ab beach. They are big when you get one.

Out today and saw 7 and landed 3, biggest just under 5lbs. so not to bad. Move around a lot and I find the best action is early morning. Going to smoke 3 for Xmas.

Willowtrail
12-23-2016, 12:08 AM

The whites in ste Anne are very camera shy. Only ever had one come up to hook when camera in water. Today I left camera in sled at Gull and got 2 whites sight fishing. Will try same technique at ste Anne next week.

SNAPFisher
12-23-2016, 08:48 AM
Out today and saw 7 and landed 3, biggest just under 5lbs. so not to bad. Move around a lot and I find the best action is early morning. Going to smoke 3 for Xmas.

Nice work! You can't be displeased with that.

linger
12-23-2016, 03:18 PM
I couldn;t agree more fishhunter 77 expecilly hanmore but the sad part is if they started doing this the fishery would get nicely established then the locals would put there nets in and the goverment would just turn a blind eye like they always do so frustrating

SteveY66
12-23-2016, 11:51 PM
I did very well on Ste Anne for whites with the average being 4-5 lbs last season. Will be trying after Christmas so I will report back. My best luck was 4 fow

Trout_er
12-29-2016, 09:35 PM
I'm planning to fish for whites on this lake. I got some light action rods and some wire worms and maggots. I'm not sure how to setup the rig yet. Any advice is appreciated. Also i don't have a camera ao how do i fish this species? I'm planning to go in the alberta beach side. How deep do i try to find these? I'm new to this fish. Please advise fellow fishermen. Thanks in advance!

Sent from my LG-D852 using Tapatalk

fishunter77
12-30-2016, 12:14 AM
I have had luck from 3 feet "just below the ice to 8 feet. I love to sight fish with a wireworm. These guys are tough to catch.

I also have had some luck jigging spoons and Kastmasters fishing 8-12 feet

If you see more than 10 you are doing well. Landing 2-4 would be a good day.

I would love to spend a few days with Speckle55 fishing around Edson. The whites he gets are nice and he seems to know his lakes. The pictures look like the Whites I used to catch at Hanmore before they vanished.