PDA

View Full Version : Ice fishing with a 2 year old tips?

DisplacedCaper
12-21-2016, 01:18 PM
Hey guys, I've got some great advice on here regarding taking my son camping (his first trip was at 6 months and he is now a seasoned camper at 2.5!) and canoeing (he's set sail a few times and each was a great success!) So, a big thanks to all who helped me out with tips for those two big events!

Now I'm looking for ice fishing tips:) I've waited long enough to take him out and he now gets pretty excited for outdoor activities! So I think it's time to try.
I have some good cold weather gear for him, a heated shack with room for him to get excited when a fishy comes through the hole.
But any tips or tricks to keeping him entertained out there would be appreciated.
Actually I'm pretty confident we'll have a ball but I'm always curious to hear others stories!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

wmw9
12-21-2016, 01:32 PM
Hey,
When I was taking my daughter around that age I found it was best to keep it simple. We would fish as close to home as possible as long car rides could take the fun out of it.

Catching fish is key, after an hour with no bites they start to get really bored. I would take her to a trout pond or an area where we could catch lots of perch. Fish coming through the hole is lots of fun.

I've been told a camera is great, I don't have one. They like to watch the fish go after hooks.

Bring lots of snacks and hot chocolate and you'll have a blast. Good luck!

Mike

Sooner
12-21-2016, 03:09 PM
Put a bobber on the line so he can see a bite, bring a game he likes, fun snacks and food so he knows it's a special dad and son trip.

Bigwoodsman
12-21-2016, 03:15 PM
Bring lots of snacks and drinks. Keep it simple use tip ups when possible, a sleigh, skates, hockey stick, any other activities that he likes. Make it fun and not to long.

My daughter would bring a coloring book and crayons and other toys to amuse herself.

I find if I could keep her busy and amused when fishing was slow. I get a better day myself.

FISHING WITH KIDS IS AMAZING!

BW

mooseknuckle
12-21-2016, 04:16 PM
bring spare clothes. every one of my 4 kids has stepped in a hole and soaked a pant leg and boot.

old dog
12-21-2016, 04:32 PM
Thanks for all the tips too. Taking the grandkids out over the Christmas season

rubberboots
12-21-2016, 05:06 PM
bring spare clothes. every one of my 4 kids has stepped in a hole and soaked a pant leg and boot.

And gloves. Sooo many wet gloves... lol

DisplacedCaper
12-21-2016, 05:42 PM
Thanks everyone, I never thought of the bobber, keep it visual for him. I can already hear him telling me the bobber is moving a lot lol. Lots of snacks and entertainment for sure. And good call on the spare clothes and mitts too! Think I'm gonna bring his sled so I can pull him around while keeping an ear out for my bell or tip up. It should be a blast. And it'll be a bonus if I get a couple of fish through the hole. To get him involved in the reeling would be great:) and good luck old dog! I'll be going at some point next week. I'll be sure to post some pics up of it!

Dewey Cox
12-21-2016, 05:44 PM
Bring a sled. Sled around from hole to hole.
And a camera of course!
My favourite pictures are of my oldest daughter and fish she caught.
My middle daughter really likes jigging.
And all my kids like cleaning the ice out of the hole, so I had to buy another strainer scoop so they'd each have their own.

Eagle Trapper
12-21-2016, 08:11 PM
Not that I have little ones myself but i'd leave my 10" auger at home and opt for the 8 or even 6. Not just for safety but for fumbles as well lol

ESOXangler
12-21-2016, 08:46 PM
Not that I have little ones myself but i'd leave my 10" auger at home and opt for the 8 or even 6. Not just for safety but for fumbles as well lol

Exactly, still not bringing my 3 yr old out. Have to be bigger than the hole is my rule. If he actually starts eating and thickens out we will be on the ice!

Red Bullets
12-21-2016, 10:36 PM
If you have a hard walled ice shack put a chalk board on the wall.

If you have cell service while fishing this website has lots of kids books that he could listen to for free. https://librivox.org/

If the lake is snow free and glare ice put some ice cleats on the young lads boots. Maybe even secure some coarse emery or sand paper to his boot soles.

Use only barbless hooks with young kids around.

Howie1
12-22-2016, 12:08 AM
I believe wmw9 has hit it on the nose, with my kids i keep it close to home, only go on warm days with no wind, a do bring my camera and let them play with it as that has kept my kids busy, I also hit the spots that hold a pile of perch as my 2 children have competitions as to who catches the most and the biggest. We always take out lots of snacks and we pull out the beach toys, example buckets, shovels. the one thing i always take is the camera to watch the fish. I keep it simple as i love to ice fish but when the kids come out I watch them closely and once I see boredom coming we pack up and head home.

good luck and have fun

MLayden
12-22-2016, 11:04 AM
My son lost interest pretty quick last year (3.5 years old). He was really into Thomas at the time so he played with those so I could keep fishing.

Close to home is key...you could be there for a half hour, or you could be there for 2. Low expectations are crucial on your part!

GregT
12-22-2016, 07:36 PM

Yup. I don't know why but kids seem to have an affinity to ice holes. I keep an 8" auger for this reason. Also lots of snacks and drinks.