PDA

View Full Version : Considering starting up Bowhunting

Icon
12-22-2016, 09:02 AM
I have been hunting with a rifle for many years, but I have always been curious about bowhunting. A few friends do it and keep bugging me to get with it! I would love the challenge and the opportunity to extend my hunting season.

I have a fair amount of landowner permissions, so this season I made inquires to most of them about if they would permit me to hunt on their land with a Bow.

To my surprise, all asked do NOT allow bowhunting. Their universal reason was that they did not want their livestock or farm equipment to "find" lost arrows. Seems pretty reasonable in my mind actually.

While this has not specifically dampened my desire to bowhunt, I do wonder what other bowhunters experience as it relates to landowners. I mean, there are a significant amount of bowhunters and I'm sure they don't all hunt on crown land!

So, What is the general consensus on bowhunters finding landowners that will permit them access to hunt?

3blade
12-22-2016, 10:43 AM
Hmmmm, it's a valid concern I suppose but not a common one, at least that I've heard. A lighted nock would alleviate the potential problem. Thing is, stories travel in farm country. So one persons cow gets shot, for the next 30 years you will hear from many farmers in the same area about dead cows. Same if someone was unlucky enough to collect an arrow in a tire.

I don't know if there's any real consensus. Some guys say yes, others say no, some don't like rifle bullets going through critters and into the countryside, others don't like bowhunting or believe an arrow can kill things cleanly, some only give permission for the day, others for the season. You just have to chat with them and respect their position, regardless of whether you agree with it.

The moose
12-22-2016, 11:03 AM
I have heard this once as well. I showed him a mechanical and he was much more accepting of the idea. I personally don't understand where this comes from but believe a lot of time its used as a reason to say no to hunting in the bowzone.

whiskey tango foxtrot
12-22-2016, 11:36 AM
I had a friend try to get permission for me from some of his friends and family in 336. Both said no because they were worried about lost arrows meeting up with farming equipment. One of them said no to rifle for the same reason (stray bullets and equipment). I still had a lovely time on public lands. WMUs 336 and 248 are both pretty littered with accessible lands, and lots of deer.

Springer
12-22-2016, 03:08 PM
Don't let that one item keep you from Bow Hunting. Theres tons of land out there that allows it.
The benefits i enjoy is less competition while i am hunting , Longer Season , More over the counter tag opportunities for more game that would otherwise need a draw. It provides getting in closer to your animals and a different type of hunting experience because of that..
It's not cheaper than Rifle hunting i have found. Lots of Bling Bling can go along with Archery...
Good luck on your decision.

gs100bert
12-22-2016, 04:38 PM
Don't let that one item keep you from Bow Hunting. There's tons of land out there that allows it.
The benefits i enjoy is less competition while i am hunting , Longer Season , More over the counter tag opportunities for more game that would otherwise need a draw. It provides getting in closer to your animals and a different type of hunting experience because of that..
It's not cheaper than Rifle hunting i have found. Lots of Bling Bling can go along with Archery...
Good luck on your decision.

x2 well said
go for it and i don't think in the years to come you will look back with regret over taking up bow hunting .

Bulldog Edm
12-22-2016, 04:57 PM
I just took up bowhunting this year. It has been an amazing year for me. I've learned so much more about the animals and terrain that I ever have hunting with a gun. Best decision I have made in a long time. Highly recommended.

Icon
12-22-2016, 08:07 PM
Thanks guys. I was just curious if others experienced the same reaction from landowners. No way I would let a few "no's" stop me. Thanks for the encouragements!