PDA

View Full Version : Clearwater river

StrayArc
04-06-2009, 09:37 PM
Just wondering if Clearwater river is worth checking out.

jrs
04-06-2009, 09:45 PM
Give it another 2 weeks or so, sections are fishable BUT the ice in that area is extremely dangerous right now. Most sections require cutting across frozen areas, this warm weather means the ice is getting rotten. I was in the area last weekend and lets just say by about 2:00pm the ice was just crumbling in spots. The local run off made the water pretty murky by lunch time as well. Snow is up to waist deep, way different from last spring. But, i think fishing will be good on most of the streams in that area weekend after this one. I think its going to be muddy with local runoff this weekend. Just fingers crossed the rain forecast for next week is not too significant, it could ruin the magic fishing period prior to mountain runoff. On a more positive note, i noticed the little black stonefly's were thick on the stream i chose to spend the day on, spring is coming.

vandy
04-06-2009, 11:41 PM
Fishing in a clear water is enjoyable. It is very difficult to find clear water rivers.

Jester
04-06-2009, 11:44 PM
Something tells me that you are not talking about the Clearwater river in Fort Mac..:lol:

Sbrooks
04-07-2009, 07:51 AM
100 bucks the Clearwater is gonna flood again this year. I spoke to a few land owners on the weekend who border the river. They all agreed on this with all the snow left and a warm forcasted spring. If your going to check it out, try the morning since the afternoons will be murky.

tbosch
04-07-2009, 10:32 AM
100 bucks the Clearwater is gonna flood again this year. I spoke to a few land owners on the weekend who border the river. They all agreed on this with all the snow left and a warm forcasted spring. If your going to check it out, try the morning since the afternoons will be murky.

I bet your right. When all the melt water comes off the hills I think all the rivers are going to be in for a s**t kicking. Especially if it warms up quickly.

StrayArc
04-07-2009, 04:08 PM
Thanks for the info! I'm just ichin to get back out there. Maybe by may when red deer river open try for some goldeye, heard they were fun to catch

tbosch
04-07-2009, 04:49 PM
Thanks for the info! I'm just ichin to get back out there. Maybe by may when red deer river open try for some goldeye, heard they were fun to catch

They are a blast, especially on really light tackle. I'm not sure if you'll be seeing a lot of goldeye in may. I think they start showing up later in june and july. Pike browns and walleye will be around though. Some gooders too.

StrayArc
04-07-2009, 09:00 PM
Right on, Thanks! I’m not very familiar with all the different species and best times to fish for what and where.

keeks
04-07-2009, 10:57 PM
I don't know, looked pretty good here.

http://www.setbb.com/albertaflyfish/viewtopic.php?t=1561&mforum=albertaflyfish

BTW, if it does flood I hope it doesn't take out Stauffer Creek with it. Almost did that in '05

k