PDA

View Full Version : Quality fishing around Calgary

Tyangelo
12-25-2016, 01:43 PM
Visiting the in-laws in Calgary, (I'm from the Edmonton area) and will be looking to head out to a lake on the 26th. Looking to take my father in law, as he rarely gets a chance to go out. We both are looking to bring fish home for dinner, so ideally looking for a lake that has a higher population of mature fish, vs just sheer quantity. I'll gladly do my own legwork on the lake, but just looking for a few suggestions for lakes within say, 150-200km from Calgary. Normally I do really well at Gull, but would prefer to take advantage of a lake that allows higher limits.

Targeting whites, pike, and perch.

Any help is appreciated.

Merry Christmas!

TROLLER
12-25-2016, 02:00 PM
Sorry but most all southern lakes and reservoirs and now catch and release. You can still get some trout at Chain lakes west of Nanton but as for walleye or pike not too many within a few hours drive.

A.DENG
12-25-2016, 02:14 PM
Visiting the in-laws in Calgary, (I'm from the Edmonton area) and will be looking to head out to a lake on the 26th. Looking to take my father in law, as he rarely gets a chance to go out. We both are looking to bring fish home for dinner, so ideally looking for a lake that has a higher population of mature fish, vs just sheer quantity. I'll gladly do my own legwork on the lake, but just looking for a few suggestions for lakes within say, 150-200km from Calgary. Normally I do really well at Gull, but would prefer to take advantage of a lake that allows higher limits.

Targeting whites, pike, and perch.

Any help is appreciated.

Merry Christmas!

Still have whites

Tyangelo
12-25-2016, 02:16 PM
Appreciate the feedback. Was looking at Burnstick, but it also sports low limits. Looks like there's lots of perch there though...?

Jeeper83
12-26-2016, 11:31 AM
I haven't tried burnstick in a few years. I never had much luck there, but I did see other people catching fish.

I always had decent luck at chain lakes, as long as you are content with smallish rainbows. As long as you are catching something it's fun.

srs123
12-26-2016, 03:36 PM
You want a lake close to Calgary with a largemail population of mature fish to bring home for dinner. Well your best bet is fish Creek Park. All the mature fish have been fished out elswhere

WayneChristie
12-26-2016, 07:00 PM
You want a lake close to Calgary with a largemail population of mature fish to bring home for dinner. Well your best bet is fish Creek Park. All the mature fish have been fished out elswhere

most definitely fished out. Im at well over 150 pike and a lot of walleye so far this season. pike from 9 inches to 44 and eyes from a pound up to almost 9 glad there are none left! :bad_boys_20:

srs123
12-26-2016, 07:06 PM
But you're a legend mr. Christie. Id sure would love to get a few pointers from you on where to go and what to use

Flieguy
12-27-2016, 12:57 PM
most lakes close to calgary that have generous keeper limits are either very hard to fish or don't have very large fish at all. Unfortunate product of having 200 000 anglers in calgary and only a dozen or so lakes within an hour