PDA

View Full Version : Sitka mountain gear experience

Dieselj19
12-26-2016, 07:03 PM
Looking for info on the best Sitka mountain hunting clothing/gear. What model of jackets and pants do you guys use that keeps you warm, dry and protected from the wind in the early/mid season mountain weather conditions?

Thanks for any input!

Dj19

Bearbreath
12-27-2016, 09:15 AM
The timberline pant are tough to beat for mountain hunting conditions. This was my first year using them, early season and late season trips, and I will be wearing them next year for sure. When it's hot out they can be warm when climbing, but pay off at the top when you are glassing.

The cloudburst rain jacket has been damn good at keeping the weather out.

If you can get this stuff on sale jump on it. There are just as good non camo options out there for less $$$ though.

LongBomber
12-27-2016, 11:28 AM
Most of the season I wear a merino zip-t and the mtn jacket, might add a kelvin vest or the thicker fleecy zip-t on the top. I wear the mtn pants when its warmer and dry, 90% once it is snowey, and a merino base layer with either depending on temps. For a rain gear I have the stormfront set, expensive but they have been pretty good.

I started with the 90% jacket pants set, Must be ten years old at least and I still wear them. I prefered the older gear, a touch heavier but it was more durable. The new welded seams just are not as tough.

I have bought my stuff slowly over time when its on sale. Bit here, bit there - seems like I have almost everything they make... Except the "blizzard" set, a grand for a jacket and $800 for pants is nuts.