PDA

View Full Version : Cold snow

triguy
12-27-2016, 10:38 PM
Doing some late season elk hunting. Cold squeaky snow! Any tips on how to make it quieter? Socks over boots? Moccasins?

Battle Rat
12-27-2016, 10:47 PM
I don't know if there is a way to walk quiet in cold snow.
I walk 5 steps then pause to mimic the way game moves.
A continuous pace is more likely to spook game.

Big Grey Wolf
12-28-2016, 09:16 AM
Moccisons are best bet for keeping quiet, you can sometimes feel the branch under your foot and not break it as well.

Grizzly Adams
12-28-2016, 10:38 AM
I don't know if there is a way to walk quiet in cold snow.
I walk 5 steps then pause to mimic the way game moves.
A continuous pace is more likely to spook game.

Sound travels better in cold air as well.

Grizz

Ranger CS
12-28-2016, 10:58 AM
Moccisons are best bet for keeping quiet, you can sometimes feel the branch under your foot and not break it as well.

X2, they are also a way lighter and easier to maneuver, but you need to keep them cold to keep them dry, in and out of vehicle etc. doesn't work so well.

bergman
01-02-2017, 10:23 PM
you want to strap or glue a little chunk of wood to the bottom of your boot about the size of a hoof print. it'll mess up your balance just enough to make you walk really slow, and any noise/squeaks will imitate the game you are pursuing.
some guys I know go so far as carving them in the shape of hooves, too, just so the yotes don't tip off the wildlife.

but seriously, no.

sikwhiskey
01-02-2017, 10:46 PM
If the snow is a foot deep or so, drag your feet, or plow it with your boots, the snow above your boots help muffle the sqweek, bend your knees more than your ankles..walk flat footed as much as possible. Makes for slow going but that helps too.

ex811
01-03-2017, 12:53 PM
Walk like a Moose rather than a predator.
Seriously, if you walk 'normally' you're sound will mimic an ungulate, if you try to be 'sneaky' you'll mimic a stalking cougar or wolf.
Kinda like what Battle Rat said...