PDA

View Full Version : ION X Auger review

PerchBuster
12-28-2016, 06:39 PM
Tried out the new ION X 5 Electric Auger. Cut 3 dozen holes flawlessly never got the feeling was losing power or charge. The new cast bottom does a great job centering and drilling straight. Feels sturdy and string bite. The reverse feature is great for flushing chips back down the hole, really like that. Apparently the blades are set at a few degrees more aggressively than most blade set ups and I must admit this thing screws itself right in without any operator pressure applied and cuts a really good hole quickly. Best part is I slugged it around quite a bit throughout the day and I'm not sore. Nice and light, ergonomic, and so easy a young lad could operate it. My days of spark plugs, chokes, carb jobs, spilt gas, gas cans, fumes, 2 stroke oil, ethanol problems, broken pull cords and pulling your guts out in -20 are officially over. Still had lots of charge left in the battery, could have drilled at least twice as many holes until out of power I think, so we will see how it performs soon when we have 2 ft of ice. Comes with a 12" extension. So far so good, it is very impressive and performed excellent. I think it is a great value given all the positives.

jr_80
12-28-2016, 06:47 PM
10" holes?

PerchBuster
12-28-2016, 07:15 PM
8" auger, 5 amp lithium ion battery

BuckCuller
12-28-2016, 07:33 PM
8" auger, 5 amp lithium ion battery

Thanks for the review I'm saving up for one they are expensive.

waterninja
12-28-2016, 08:19 PM
Thanks for the review I'm saving up for one they are expensive.
x2 on the review. It was 3 (maybe 2) years ago when we used an ION battery ice auger (6"), and it performed well.
On the other hand, my 23 year old gas powered auger still works, and one wonders if ANY battery could last that long. In 3- 5 years (when warranty expires), you might be replacing the whole outfit, even if youv'e only drilled a couple dozen holes.

RavYak
12-28-2016, 08:59 PM
x2 on the review. It was 3 (maybe 2) years ago when we used an ION battery ice auger (6"), and it performed well.
On the other hand, my 23 year old gas powered auger still works, and one wonders if ANY battery could last that long. In 3- 5 years (when warranty expires), you might be replacing the whole outfit, even if youv'e only drilled a couple dozen holes.

You don't need to replace the whole outfit, just get a new battery if/when it goes bad. Lithium ion batteries last for quite a while though and so far I haven't seen many comments of peoples batteries being shot.

Gas augers require gas and oil and the odd other maintenance/carb cleaning etc. Most likely still cheaper then battery life costs but maybe not by a whole lot.

To me the big advantage of an ion auger is for guys that use suv's/cars to keep the smell of gas/propane out.

PerchBuster
12-28-2016, 09:11 PM
Valid points. They don't make them like they used to however. That's true for just about anything these days. That said, looks well built and sturdy. Auger should last many years. The price of a replacement battery is about the same as getting retailed on a carb replacement job which certainly happens with seemingly greater regularity on any of the post 20 yr old models we have nowadays. I know what you mean though. My buddy has a 25 yr old Jiffy 30 that can't be killed. It's also well over 30 lbs though and thereinlies one of the big differences for me going electric. Don't feel beat up near as bad after a day of punching holes and the reverse function flushes the chips which saves a lot of bending over to scoop. As a guy with some back problems, these are great bonuses to keep me fishing longer. Good luck!

Mountain Guy
12-28-2016, 09:40 PM
You don't need to replace the whole outfit, just get a new battery if/when it goes bad. Lithium ion batteries last for quite a while though and so far I haven't seen many comments of peoples batteries being shot.

Gas augers require gas and oil and the odd other maintenance/carb cleaning etc. Most likely still cheaper then battery life costs but maybe not by a whole lot.

To me the big advantage of an ion auger is for guys that use suv's/cars to keep the smell of gas/propane out.

The price of a replacement battery is close to a cheap gas auger.
For me .... my experience with battery powered tools means the jury is still out on the ions

fishunter77
12-28-2016, 10:47 PM
What a great auger. Bought mine 3 years ago. No issues. Bought a 8" at the fishing hole and got a great deal. No messing with fuel and smell. Battery is good for 40-50 holes in 2 feet or more ice.

I have had Jiffy and other gas augers in the past Some issues with flooding and fumes. Love the ION.

Quite and lightweight.

bobalong
12-28-2016, 11:01 PM
Just picked up an Ion about a week ago from The Fishin' hole. Reverse is nice in the ice shack, as well as the lack of smoke. I will never go back, I think the electric will become very popular once the price drops a bit. IMO just to many good features on the electric to even consider a gas again.

Fishhunter
12-29-2016, 04:55 AM
Do they make ion in a 10 inch?

wildwoods
12-29-2016, 07:37 AM
Just picked up an Ion about a week ago from The Fishin' hole. Reverse is nice in the ice shack, as well as the lack of smoke. I will never go back, I think the electric will become very popular once the price drops a bit. IMO just to many good features on the electric to even consider a gas again.

I've been keeping an eye out. How much did you pay if you don't mind?

PerchBuster
12-29-2016, 08:18 AM
Yes ION does have a 10" auger bit as well as 6" & 8". The 10" auger bit also comes with the cast metal base.

bobalong
12-29-2016, 09:35 AM
I've been keeping an eye out. How much did you pay if you don't mind?

They were regular 699 on for 599 on the black Friday sale.

Willowtrail
12-29-2016, 09:48 AM

Not as a package deal so you have to buy the 8" and the power head and then it the 10" flight for it. Around another $200-300.

RavYak
12-29-2016, 09:51 AM

You have to buy the 10 inch bit separate, ion doesn't even show a 10 inch model on their website and I know no one locally sells them.

I haven't tried one yet but not sure I would want a 10 inch ion. 10 inch cuts over 50% more area so expect a drastic reduction in holes/battery and potential power issues too.

RavYak
12-29-2016, 09:54 AM
They were regular 699 on for 599 on the black Friday sale.

That would have been the regular ion. The Ion X's are 799.

dutch_m
12-29-2016, 10:09 AM
The new Ion X is pretty well the same as the old , just a better battery ,
$799 is allot of money for a ice auger ,
Unless you can get one on a really good sale , I picked mine up for $620 ,
Ask me in a couple years what I think of it , I might get a second battery as a backup for weekend trips

full_throttle
12-29-2016, 10:14 AM
The new Ion X is pretty well the same as the old , just a better battery ,

$799 is allot of money for a ice auger ,

Unless you can get one on a really good sale , I picked mine up for $620 ,

Ask me in a couple years what I think of it , I might get a second battery as a backup for weekend trips

The battery is supposed to last 60% longer so spending another 75-100 more for the Ion X would be money well spent. Should easily last a full weekend with the bigger battery.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

PerchBuster
01-01-2017, 08:09 AM
Went on 2nd test run and this time drilled twice as many holes in 18"-19" ice. Auger performed flawlessly all day and hardly used up any battery life. Still had 3 bars showing when I checked the charge at the end of the day. So easy to handle and lug around without getting tired or sore. Having reverse sure saves a lot of scooping also. They are a little pricey due to US exchange rates these days but well worth the investment. I got $400 for my used gas auger so that took a lot of the sting out of the price and Fishing hole had them on for an extra Fifty bucks off when I bought it. Stealthy quiet in shallow water, just push the button and drill. After second trip out I am more impressed with it than the first time. Love this auger so far!