PDA

View Full Version : Educate me on whites

357xp
12-29-2016, 09:59 PM
Was out fishing for walleye at the local lake, no wallys but lots of whites coming to inspect my variety of hooks, no interest in them. I remember dad catching them when I was a kid, but havnt really gone after them since.
Post up some pics of what works 4 U if you don't mind sharing, thanks.

Got a couple of good pike though...

Fish-Taco
12-29-2016, 10:11 PM
http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/showthread.php?t=274328

That will teach you almost all you need to know about what catches whites. Half the battle is finding them and it seems you have that part sorted out.

I've had my best luck with a red wire worm with a bead in the middle. Size 10 hook and the small red soft wire with a small red glass bead.

I tie the hook so that it sits in the water with the pointy pointy upwards. I find that I get a lot more hook sets into the harder top of the mouths rather than in the soft bottom lips. Tipping with a wax worm seems to help on some days as well.

Hope this helps

fishunter77
12-29-2016, 11:54 PM
Every lake is different to catch them. Some want lures bounced off the bottom.

Others Wire Worms or small lures plain or tipped with a Maggot.

They are great fun when you can sight fish. Some come and crush your wireworm out of no where like a pike. Others just keep swimming by.

A few lures to try;

Kastmaster or Wetaskiwin Special bounced of the bottom- Was a killer method for Whites on pigeon in the late 80's and 90's before they got above 3 lbs and more Walleye appeared.

Wireworms. Every lake seems to have a favorite. Keep trying until you get some interested in coming back. Keep working the hook through the water column. I have landed many whites just below the ice cruising by. Gull lake was orange or yellow 20 years ago. Tipped with a maggot or plain also makes a difference depending on the day.

Hanmore a red or copper was killer 15 years ago. I try this lake every year and never see a Whitefish. Too bad as I would see 15 to 30 nets out in January and Feb. Nets were left in for days. I think it was netted out and should be restocked.

AB beach I have yet to figure out. I catch one on a big spoon and then catch one on a wireworm. Not very consistent. If you get one out of here it will be 3LBs and over.

I have not tried Sylvan but will be going a few times this year.

Presentation is key to these guys. Keep your wireworm horizontal.

357xp
12-30-2016, 09:31 AM
Thanks guys, i will have to try some wire worms. Iam guessing the plastic beads my kids have would want to float to much. Don't have access to some of the supplies up here, but headed down to gp soon so I will stock up there.

Finding them wasn't a problem yesterday, I had 4-5 fish cruise by every few minutes for an hour.