PDA

View Full Version : Place to take kids around Edmonton

Tcon
12-30-2016, 12:28 PM
I was wondering what the experts would suggest places around Edmonton that I could take my kids that would give them enough action to keep their interest. They are first time fisher people and I am hoping to leave a positive experience that would get them excited about going again. I usually hit the local potholes but haven't done so on the ice, is it a good idea? Size isn't a concern and we practice catch and release.

Thanks in advance.

12-30-2016, 12:40 PM
pm'd you

ceadog
12-30-2016, 12:54 PM
Same here. I'm thinking of half moon lake, maybe Spring and there's always Wabamun, though you can't keep 'em.

Tcon
12-30-2016, 01:02 PM
Same here. I'm thinking of half moon lake, maybe Spring and there's always Wabamun, though you can't keep 'em.

Not keeping them is not a problem for us, is there enough ice on Wab to drive on?

Angler
12-30-2016, 01:03 PM
Halfmoon Lake would definitely work, lots of action there.
You can check this THREAD (http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/showthread.php?t=311069)

Tcon
12-30-2016, 01:11 PM
Halfmoon Lake would definitely work, lots of action there.
You can check this THREAD (http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/showthread.php?t=311069)

Ooof.. looks like a boring day :)

Angler
12-30-2016, 02:34 PM
Ooof.. looks like a boring day :)

No sh..t Lol.
It got boring, actualy ha ha, don't get me wrong, I love seeing bites, but you get tired pulling those "monsters" after awhile.
Should be a lot of fun for kids, I assume though. So check it out

ceadog
12-30-2016, 04:13 PM
No sh..t Lol.
It got boring, actualy ha ha, don't get me wrong, I love seeing bites, but you get tired pulling those "monsters" after awhile.

It reminds me of jigging off my dock as a kid at Wabamun. We used to catch a dozen or two in an hour. Hot dog chunks on a bare hook.

grouse_hunter
12-30-2016, 04:20 PM
No sh..t Lol.

Come on, Angler, you know that I caught the first 3" beast... Although you did get the only decent fish of the trip!
Non-stop action is an understatement. I'd say you get a 7-8" perch for every 50 3-4" fish. Go further from the edges of the lake since there are weeds. We were fishing in about 10'. Should be fun for kids. People were driving on Half Moon when we were there about a week ago.

ceadog
01-02-2017, 08:52 AM
Went out for a couple hours and didn't see much. Tons of people out there though, looked like a good party.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Willowtrail
01-02-2017, 11:52 AM
Not keeping them is not a problem for us, is there enough ice on Wab to drive on?

18-20" on wab on the 30th. Lots of ice to drive on, had my 3/4 ton diesel on no problem. There's even a well packed road from the town launch heading west. Don't go near the trestle bridge to the south as someone did yesterday and fell in. Never drive under a narrow bridge.

We had walleye and Pike. 4 guys. Around 50 bites in 6 hours. Lots of fun.

Tcon
01-03-2017, 12:52 AM
Ended up taking the family out to Wabamun since we were invited to a friends for dinner close by. Fished late from after noon till about 4:30 but we had steady and sometimes frantic walleye action. I couldn't even get two jawjackers set out because I was busy helping the kids and wife take fish off their lines. By the time I got them rigged up and fishing again somebody else needed help. They all loved it and keep asking to go back, just what I hoped :sHa_shakeshout:.

Thanks everybody for your suggestions!

TylerThomson
01-03-2017, 05:33 PM
You just stumbled onto one of the best kept secrets. Get your wife and kids involved and from now on when you buy gear you can say is for the kids. Or I thought you might like this new rod. Haha glad the family had fun.

Willowtrail
01-04-2017, 12:56 PM
Ended up taking the family out to Wabamun since we were invited to a friends for dinner close by. Fished late from after noon till about 4:30 but we had steady and sometimes frantic walleye action. I couldn't even get two jawjackers set out because I was busy helping the kids and wife take fish off their lines. By the time I got them rigged up and fishing again somebody else needed help. They all loved it and keep asking to go back, just what I hoped :sHa_shakeshout:.

Thanks everybody for your suggestions!

That's awesome, I hope you got the family hooked.

Tcon
01-04-2017, 01:46 PM
You just stumbled onto one of the best kept secrets. Get your wife and kids involved and from now on when you buy gear you can say is for the kids. Or I thought you might like this new rod. Haha glad the family had fun.

So true! My wife got hooked on fishing with the sonar/flasher so now I have an excuse to buy another unit.

Tcon
01-04-2017, 01:48 PM
That's awesome, I hope you got the family hooked.

Most definitely, the little ones were asking when we can go again. Unfortunately, its not easy to explain to the little ones that it may not be as good every time we go out. I guess that's part of learning patience.