PDA

View Full Version : Marcum battery?

Double-Eh
12-30-2016, 03:07 PM
My LX3TC appears to be in need of a new battery. It works for a few hours then starts to act all scrambley. I first thought it was cold, so I turned it off and put it inside to warm up. When I brought it out it worked for about 10 minutes and again I lost the ability to see bottom and my hook etc. Maybe I'm wrong but that seems like a weak battery type behaviour especially since I used to go 3 days of fishing all day without issue.

Does it sound like a battery problem and where could I get one for a reasonable price?

mayuan
12-30-2016, 04:16 PM
could be a weak battery.

Things to check, What is the battery voltage at a full charge? should be close to 13v. What is the battery charge when it is acting up? dead battery is about 11.5V. If so, you might need a battery.

I get the 12V 9Ah batteries from battery world in the NE for less then $30.

lakerman
12-30-2016, 07:29 PM
Went out today battery lasted 3 hours, think I might need one too, I'll post up if I find one in Edmonton.

JohninAB
12-30-2016, 07:42 PM
Have seen them at Cabelas, Fishing Hole and Princess Auto over the years in Edmonton.

RavYak
12-30-2016, 08:29 PM
Possibly a battery problem which wouldn't be a surprise if the battery is a few years old. These little batteries do not last especially since most of us discharge them far lower then what a person should before recharging them.

Most of the fishing stores, battery stores, Canadian Tire etc carry these SLA batteries.

huntingaddict
12-30-2016, 10:13 PM
Just swapped mine today lasted 2 Yrs. Not bad good battery should give u 8hrs

PerchBuster
12-31-2016, 07:19 AM
Replace with a 12V 9 amp battery for best performance.

SamSteele
12-31-2016, 07:44 AM
The Reel Doctor off of 50th street just north of Whitemud should have them too.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

dodgeboy1979
12-31-2016, 10:10 AM
My LX3TC appears to be in need of a new battery. It works for a few hours then starts to act all scrambley. I first thought it was cold, so I turned it off and put it inside to warm up. When I brought it out it worked for about 10 minutes and again I lost the ability to see bottom and my hook etc. Maybe I'm wrong but that seems like a weak battery type behaviour especially since I used to go 3 days of fishing all day without issue.

Does it sound like a battery problem and where could I get one for a reasonable price?

Just out of curiosity were there any other fishermen around possibly using a flasher too, this may the screen to go scrambly

Dean2
12-31-2016, 11:03 AM
Battery warehouse is where I get my replacement batteries. Less than half what fishing hole and Cabelas wants. 12V 9 Amp was $18.

Double-Eh
12-31-2016, 11:36 AM
Just out of curiosity were there any other fishermen around possibly using a flasher too, this may the screen to go scrambly

I'd considered the IR and there were times when I was affected by them minimally. But I press of the OR button solved it. And it also gave me grief at one point when it was the only flasher out there.

old dog
12-31-2016, 02:34 PM
I have a marcum 3 and 5 and both have done the same thing when the battery gets week. Original batttery r 9 amp but could never find them so used the 8 amp that most places sell. I was told they don't sell 9 amp in canada cause of a CSA ruling. My battery life is normally 4 years

PerchBuster
01-01-2017, 07:53 AM
Battery warehouse is where I get my replacement batteries. Less than half what fishing hole and Cabelas wants. 12V 9 Amp was $18.

That's a great price, got a web address for them you could share?

Kim473
01-01-2017, 08:27 AM
Battery world.

http://battery-world.calls.net/products/sealed-lead-acid/12-volt-9-ah.html

EZM
01-01-2017, 02:51 PM
I also get mine at Battery World. These batteries only really last a couple seasons before they start to go.

You can buy ANY 7, 9, 10, 11 or 12 amp/hr battery as long as it outputs 12v.

Just make sure it fits the case.

They sell the 9amp/12v for under $20.

I also invested money into a conditioning charger for these which should increase the life of these batteries beyond (and better than) the standard factory charger these things come with. Just make sure it doesn't charge more than and 2 amps/hr or they will burn the battery.

Dean2
01-01-2017, 02:57 PM
I also get mine at Battery World. These batteries only really last a couple seasons before they start to go.

You can buy ANY 7, 9, 10, 11 or 12 amp/hr battery as long as it outputs 12v.

Just make sure it fits the case.

They sell the 9amp/12v for under $20.

I also invested money into a conditioning charger for these which should increase the life of these batteries beyond (and better than) the standard factory charger these things come with. Just make sure it doesn't charge more than and 2 amps/hr or they will burn the battery.

By keeping my batteries cool and charged I am getting 10-12 years out of the ones I bought at Battery World. I use the standard low amp (1 amp/hr) Vexiialr charger that came with my first FL8. The newer ones put out more amps and I prefer the low amp version. Got 12 years out of the original Vexilar battery I got with the Flasher.

lakerman
01-02-2017, 12:13 PM
Called battery world $30-35 for 9ampCanadian tire $35-7..2amp,fishin hole 32$ wholesale 30$, only a few in stock don't see any of the 18$ people are referring to.:snapoutofit:

Dean2
01-02-2017, 01:04 PM
Called battery world $30-35 for 9ampCanadian tire $35-7..2amp,fishin hole 32$ wholesale 30$, only a few in stock don't see any of the 18$ people are referring to.:snapoutofit:

Maybe it is the new Carbon tax. That is a lot more than I was paying at Battery World even last year. I bought a new one for my Car Alarm there last August and they were still 18 or 19 dollars. My only suggestion is to tag the Canadian Tire one with a sales alert and buy it when it goes on sale. They usually knock 40-60% off when they put them on sale.

huntsfurfish
01-02-2017, 01:07 PM
US dollar?

mayuan
01-02-2017, 01:31 PM
Maybe it is the new Carbon tax. That is a lot more than I was paying at Battery World even last year. I bought a new one for my Car Alarm there last August and they were still 18 or 19 dollars. My only suggestion is to tag the Canadian Tire one with a sales alert and buy it when it goes on sale. They usually knock 40-60% off when they put them on sale.

You're not going to find them at that price, and if anyone does let me know. I usually buy in bulk and get the batteries for about $20-22.

Dean2
01-02-2017, 01:37 PM
You're not going to find them at that price, and if anyone does let me know. I usually buy in bulk and get the batteries for about $20-22.

If you are offering to put together a group bulk buy there seems to be lots of interest since the store prices seem to have jumped pretty good.:) If you don't want to do the group buy at least tell the boys where to get them in bulk from. A few might decide to do their own bulk purchase.

Game Hunter
01-02-2017, 11:03 PM
Could be your battery, check that first.
Marcum also had issues with the internal board going causing things to scramble up. It would start to scramble up, then later when you turned it on you could hear the motor working with no lights on..
Mine did that along with 2 other guys I know.
Had to send it in under warranty. Not the best thing to happen to a guy this early in the ice season.

EZM
01-03-2017, 12:37 PM
US dollar?

That's probably the most likely reason.

The dollar is down against USD - and we will see more internationally manufactured goods go up in price for us - as almost everyone imports and purchases in USD (even products made in China).

I definitely paid under $20 last year.

Double-Eh
01-09-2017, 01:53 PM
Final verdict:
12V 9Ah SLA from Battery World on 149st in Edmonton: $36.75 taxes in.
Perfectly reasonable price. Now let's hope this is the solution. I'm optimistic.
Tips on maximizing life that I can undertake m? Or even if I should be doing something this very first time I install it?
Thanks again guys

Game Hunter
01-09-2017, 02:17 PM
Final verdict:
12V 9Ah SLA from Battery World on 149st in Edmonton: $36.75 taxes in.
Perfectly reasonable price. Now let's hope this is the solution. I'm optimistic.
Tips on maximizing life that I can undertake m? Or even if I should be doing something this very first time I install it?
Thanks again guys

Let us know the verdict- you can pm me if it's not the battery. I hope for yoursKes that's all you need.

Adwittoutdoors
01-09-2017, 08:47 PM
Just having the same issue with my Marcum. It's the battery though because the other battery I used worked good and so did the Marcum.