PDA

View Full Version : Pigeon lake

7 REM MAG
12-30-2016, 05:34 PM
Anyone been on pigeon lately? Just wondering what the ice is looking like. Thx for any help in advance

skykomish sunrise
12-30-2016, 05:59 PM
Lots of ice..people driving. Ice heaves are an issue

RACKER
12-30-2016, 08:47 PM
Was on Pigeon today.Drove in at P.P. There are 2 ice heaves right near shore but they are ok to drive over.The ice is 18-20 " about 300 yds out.The bite was terrible for me till 230 then caught 3 big ones in about 15 minutes.I was able to keep 1 for my class b tag but the others were 57and 59.If you have tags for the big ones you should be able to fill them if ya have patience.Good luck to all out there.

BiggieB
01-04-2017, 01:18 PM
It seems like the walleye migrate from the provincial park area once the ice hits, i've never caught one in winter in pigeon personally, but have no problem in summer catching them I finally bought a camera and i'm gunna chase them down....Girlfriend has her tags left to fill and she wants a fish fry LOL :sHa_shakeshout:

sportman
01-04-2017, 02:17 PM
I think they are still there. Picked up a half dozen on Monday

jeffrey929
01-05-2017, 05:03 AM
Is there enough snow on the ice for a snowmobile?

yetiseeker
01-05-2017, 07:21 AM
Is there enough snow on the ice for a snowmobile?

Yes - I'd say approx 4 inches.

goose
01-05-2017, 12:37 PM
Just curious if the perch population is better so I guy can keep a few?
goose :sHa_shakeshout:

WildCats
01-05-2017, 03:36 PM
Just curious if the perch population is better so I guy can keep a few?
goose :sHa_shakeshout:

Perch in Pigeon are gone, have been for several years.

WC

SamSteele
01-05-2017, 04:04 PM
I finally bought a camera and i'm gunna chase them down....

Visibility is usually the problem in Pigeon with a camera. At least in my experience.

SS

Bemoredog
01-06-2017, 02:22 PM
Was at Pigeon before xmas. No activity until around 2 to 3pm. Then had 5 bites, only landed 1. Very lethargic/light bites. Was out at the PP where I catch in the spring.

Anyone know where walter goes in the winter?!?

skykomish sunrise
01-07-2017, 08:55 AM
We go on on the mulhurst side..great water clarity and usually manage to find the eyes eventually

BiggieB
01-18-2017, 10:11 PM
Just wondering what access at the provincal park is like, any ice heaves or thin ice? Thinking about going out tomorrow morning and haven't been out yet.

genno
01-19-2017, 10:31 AM
Just wondering what access at the provincal park is like, any ice heaves or thin ice? Thinking about going out tomorrow morning and haven't been out yet.

When I was there a week ago there was 23" of ice and a small heave to go over right near the shore.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mad Caddy
01-19-2017, 11:04 AM
We were thinking of heading to Pigeon tomorrow to try and fill a couple of leftover walleye tags. Any opinions on where people are having success this January? Do you think we'd have more luck starting on Mulhurst Bay side or Provincial Park?

Tikka Hunter
01-19-2017, 05:27 PM
I was at Mulhurst last Sunday, the walleyes were there, filled a b class tag and let a few go. The morning bite was good. Watch for the snow drifts they were deep enough to cause issues for some. But with the warm weather the snow pack has probably melted done some.

Lumberman
01-20-2017, 10:29 PM
Thanks for the help guys. do frozen smelts work in winter, or what are you using? We are heading out Jan 28th to try and fill some B tags.

WillyOneStyle
01-20-2017, 10:34 PM
I found some walleye on the Mulhurst side about a week ago. They were class B size, 43-50.

Outdoorfanatic
01-22-2017, 08:34 AM
Group of us out couple of days ago. Ice close to 30inches, surface is like glass no snow, minimal flood water as in maybe an inch, 2 small ridges at boat launch at P.P. People still driving on. Bring your ice treads for your boots very very slippery surface. Bite very slow. But did manage to catch a few small jack including one for my little girl. And one really nice walleye. Water clarity clear all the way to bottom even in 20 feet of water.

Very appreciative of any help locating the whites if you're so lucky. Better we all get a crack at them now before once again we here their belly up in the summer.

Good Luck

BiggieB
01-23-2017, 01:48 AM
Taking the girlfriend out at 7am when im off work, wish us luck really hoping to fill her left over tags:fighting0030:

Will post what happens!

SNAPFisher
01-23-2017, 09:47 AM
Taking the girlfriend out at 7am when im off work, wish us luck really hoping to fill her left over tags:fighting0030:

Will post what happens!

:sign0111:

genno
01-23-2017, 10:08 AM

Will post what happens!

Good luck! what class of tags do you have?

BiggieB
01-25-2017, 02:07 PM
Good luck! what class of tags do you have?

She has the B class tags had no luck so we left and went to wizard by noon well over 40 flags iced about a dozen or sono keepers as usual...idk why but pigeon has me beat in winter (tried at mulhurst in 10-15ft)

Scuddoctor
01-03-2018, 10:23 PM
Headed up on Friday to fill class C and B tags. Any advice on PP side vs Mulhurst side? Only ever fished the PP side during the summer,excited to take a shot on the hard water.

NSR Fisher
01-03-2018, 10:27 PM
It never hurts to try the side nobody talks about anymore.

(south end of the lake can have some good fishing if you're in the right spot...)

swampy45
01-04-2018, 06:40 AM
Thinking I may go try the south end of the lake soon actually NSR Fisher

SNAPFisher
01-04-2018, 08:50 AM
Yes - I'd say approx 4 inches.

That but it is patchy too with clear ice areas as well. So not great but certainly you can travel. I hear snow is coming this week as in 5-10 cm, that will be perfect.

Even though the ice is thick it is on the move when the temps changed. New fresh water came up most cracks. Driving over them would make a bit more water come up...
Not for the risk adverse for sure. Hopefully it is settling down now but that lack of snow seems to keep the ice loud and moving.

yetiseeker
01-04-2018, 09:15 AM
SNAP - I was reading this thread as I'm looking at hitting Pigeon this weekend.

I was reading and seeing that guys were reporting ice of over 20 inches.

The I read the dates. The thread responses are mostly a year old, including the one you just quoted of mine being 4 inches if snow on the ice. That was posted Jan 2017.

Be careful of reading information related to old threads being renewed. I cant say how much snow or ice is at Pigeon this year. I've read in the ice thickness report that we should be good to go.

In the end, be cognizant of the dates when reading info on this forum as it could end up getting people in trouble if they see info from past years and assume it's reliable or current data.

StiksnStrings
01-04-2018, 10:09 AM
Headed up on Friday to fill class C and B tags. Any advice on PP side vs Mulhurst side? Only ever fished the PP side during the summer,excited to take a shot on the hard water.

Was at the PP Tues afternoon. Ice heaves made it a bit tricky getting on, ice was 18-20". Fished in 12-17 FOW, caught 8 nice walleye (50ish cm) and a nice pike. All were suspended 5-6 ft off bottom. Hope that helps.

Scuddoctor
01-04-2018, 10:28 AM
Was at the PP Tues afternoon. Ice heaves made it a bit tricky getting on, ice was 18-20". Fished in 12-17 FOW, caught 8 nice walleye (50ish cm) and a nice pike. All were suspended 5-6 ft off bottom. Hope that helps.

Thanks SS! Helps a tonne:)

SNAPFisher
01-04-2018, 11:23 AM
SNAP - I was reading this thread as I'm looking at hitting Pigeon this weekend.

I was reading and seeing that guys were reporting ice of over 20 inches.

The I read the dates. The thread responses are mostly a year old, including the one you just quoted of mine being 4 inches if snow on the ice. That was posted Jan 2017.

Be careful of reading information related to old threads being renewed. I cant say how much snow or ice is at Pigeon this year. I've read in the ice thickness report that we should be good to go.

In the end, be cognizant of the dates when reading info on this forum as it could end up getting people in trouble if they see info from past years and assume it's reliable or current data.

LOL! Yeah, I misread the year. Sorry about that but either way it is generally accurate otherwise I would not have quoted it. I've been out there lots so don't make this bigger than it should be.

In the end though if someone wants to take info on a forum and bet their life and equipment on it, then a Darwin award is required for that person. I've already run into that this year and just checked it for myself which is what anyone should do.