PDA

View Full Version : Our 2009 Halibut Trip.

Walleyes
04-07-2009, 06:20 PM
Back from a great 2 days out on the ocean. Got to say people it was great to get out on the open water and even greater for it to be out on the chuck.

We were in Victoria for 2 days. Took a friend of mine along that for him it was his first time out fishing on the ocean. We booked with a fellow that I met a few years back out of Sooke and we have got to know each other over the years. For myself this was the first time ever chartering a fish but I was very confident that it would be worth the money booking with someone like Roy, he is one of the better charter boats in that area and the rate Roy gave us the charter for was awesome but I will add that when I booked with Roy that I told him I wanted the full experience and wanted to learn how to fish these critters and what it all entailed "all" work included. So this is why we were given a bit of a break on the rate, we worked hands on with the anchoring which is no small task out there boys. Especially when you have to move 3 times in one day. And as well we helped with the cleaning of the boat in the evenings and supplied our own lunches on board. I will say that we got our moneys worth in all aspects. We not only came home with our limit of Halibut we came away with an understanding and a small degree in the whole process of the fishery.

So how did we do. Both days Sat & Sun started out slow with no Halibut on the first day till about 1:00 pm was our first Hali a 37 pounder after that we had quite a few dogs on and 2 dropped Hali and 1 more boated at 25 pounds. The second day was almost a repeat of the first with nothing all day until about noon then you would of thought there was a herd of them in. With in 1/2 an hr we had 2 more nice fish in the boat a dandy 70 pounder that I brought in and a 42 pounder then it was about an hr till Roy got one for himself a nice 22 pounder for the bar-be just to top off the trip.

I must say that all my expectations were filled. For being just a few minutes off of the Victoria water front this can be an incredible fishery. We came in with a 70, 42, 37, 25 and a 22 all this just minutes off of the Victoria water front. Our guide and charter captain Roy Carver was a great guy to spend the day out on the water with. Roy is an extremely hard worker and very knowledgeable in what he does. He was always, always working at what he was doing never just happy with the way things were but you could tell he was genuinely concerned and trying his damnedest all the time. We were out on the water by 6:00 am both mornings and put in until 3:00 pm a very long day for him and he would still find the time for us to pull a couple crab traps on the way home so's we had some of that to take home as well.

Here are a few pics from the trip.

A nasty old dog.

http://i91.photobucket.com/albums/k303/walleyes_2006/DSC00505.jpg

One of the fish not sure but looks like the 37 pounder.

http://i91.photobucket.com/albums/k303/walleyes_2006/IMG_1709.jpg

Fighting the hog..

http://i91.photobucket.com/albums/k303/walleyes_2006/IMG_1717.jpg

The captain readying the harpoon.

http://i91.photobucket.com/albums/k303/walleyes_2006/DSC00531.jpg

A stringer of Halibut.

http://i91.photobucket.com/albums/k303/walleyes_2006/IMG_1751.jpg

The hog,, 70 pounds of fish..

http://i91.photobucket.com/albums/k303/walleyes_2006/DSC00558.jpg

The 70 and Ryan's 42.

http://i91.photobucket.com/albums/k303/walleyes_2006/DSC00567.jpg

The days spoils.

http://i91.photobucket.com/albums/k303/walleyes_2006/DSC00568.jpg

munyee4321
04-07-2009, 06:25 PM
thats awsome great pics.. Im super jealous its been one of my goals to go slay some big halibut one of these years

Little Red Man
04-07-2009, 07:10 PM
Outstanding.....gotta luv the chuck....miss it all the time....and there are some GOOD eats!!

dss44
04-07-2009, 07:20 PM
Getting me excited walleyes....

troller
04-07-2009, 07:21 PM
Sweet write up and great pics, as usual. Thanks Walleyes!!!

gramps73
04-07-2009, 07:25 PM
Walleye
Nice catch, I will be heading to the coast this July. can't wait
Gramps

jrs
04-07-2009, 07:33 PM
Looks like a good trip, very nice fish. I'm looking at booking a trip out that way this fall, will check out that charter. Thanks for sharing.

IR_mike
04-07-2009, 07:56 PM
Nice fish!! thanks for posting.

Ayr
04-07-2009, 08:27 PM
Good work boys!

Thanks for sharing the pics and congrats on some beautiful Halis.

Ayr.

Rigg dogg
04-08-2009, 01:21 AM
Hey Walleyey's
GREAT LOOKING FISH!!!
Good on YA
Glad to see Wolf could help you out. Sounds like he WORKS pretty hard for his clients.
I am sure you will be giving the Hali fishing a try on your own when you head back out later this summer.

Some GREAT EATING there!!!!!
That should keep the family fed till your trip in Aug.

I can't wait, we are heading up to QCI on June 16th for a week.

honda450
04-08-2009, 06:43 AM
Dandy looking catch there Walleyes. :wave:

Reeves1
04-08-2009, 07:17 AM
Great write up and fish !

Dark
04-08-2009, 07:41 AM
Nice fish walleyes, I have been following the halibut talks on Sportfishing BC. I thought Wolf was alot older. We are heading for Dundas Island this year, we did Bella Bella last year fishing was ok but sure put on alot of miles on the old boat.

Walleyes
04-08-2009, 07:41 AM
Thx guys it was an awesome trip.

And yes to any of you interested give Roy a call he is one hard working man.

Those of you looking at going more into the fall, keep in mind that late summer and fall are not really considered Halibut season. Yes there may be a few around but it is not the prime time. Aug and Sept are Salmon season thats when the big boys are in. If you are looking at going in the fall you will have to look at going to some place on the north island or on the outside or more up around the Rupert country.

Rigg Dogg,, good luck on your trip up to the Charlettes this July, you should be right in the thick of things about that time. Remeber the camera so's we can all enjoy it with yah..

Jamie
04-08-2009, 09:29 AM
Congrats.. Great looking trip.
We are up to Prince Rupert again this year (June 30)
Its nice haveing the whole lodge to yourself.

Just counting the days!!

Rigg. You guys are hitting it good. Who are you going with?
You should run into Good Chinooks and more than a few Coho. Also it was that time of year on the West side of the QCI that we saw all the monster Halis being caught

Jamie

Rigg dogg
04-08-2009, 03:35 PM
Walleye's I will be sure to bring the camera and get some pics when we go.

Jamie, I have been up to the QCI lodge twice and Naden lodge once. Both great places, but for the last 2 years we have been going on our own.
We didn't have a guide on the QCI trips but had one @ Naden. He was pretty helpfull in showing me some techniques and few different spots.
Still have a lot to learn but we manage to catch some fish when we go.

We are going to make our way over to Langara Island this trip and anchor overnight see if we can find some Monster Halibut.

I have an old 26ft Grady White for a boat and we just rent a place in Masset. A little cheaper then going to the lodges, and a guy can do a few other things other than just fishing. Like drinking beer and talking about fishing :lol::lol:

Walleyes
04-08-2009, 06:39 PM
Jeez Rigg that sounds like a heck of a trip. I have never been to the Charlotte's "YET" but I plan on it soon. The only problem is that I just haven't had the time it requires to do it right. And I wasn't aware of places that a fellow could get your own accomodations in and around Masset. And again where to get fuel and such. It all sounds very interesting. Could you please send some of that info my way if you don't mind I would really like to look into it. I have an older brother that has fished that area a couple times and He just loves it, it can be an awesome Chinook fishery.

Jamie
04-08-2009, 11:54 PM
What a KILLER trip.

If you want some hotspots south of Langara or names of some bays I have fished at Langara, please get in touch with me.

Man I would love to do that trip. If you EVER need a extra do not hesitate to call... I would even let you use my Islander reel..:lol::lol::lol: (Once I buy it:lol:)
Hell I might even give you one.:lol:

Good luck man. Thats a crazy trip. So much adventure and your doing it all on your own.
You might have just added another thing to the bucket list!!!

Jamie

Jamie
04-08-2009, 11:55 PM
Walleyes.. Put the QCI on YOUR bucket list.
Its a magical place.

Jamie

steve
04-09-2009, 12:07 AM
thanks for the pics, looks like a good trip and some good eats.

Tides and Tales
04-09-2009, 11:31 AM
Port Hardy, and Quatsino Sound BC Fishing Report

Spring is here, and the Halibut Season has opened in the waters around Port Hardy and Quatsino Sound, Vancouver Island, BC. The fishing has been solid so far, as we have seen some large Halibut and what appears to be an abundance of trophy Lingcod being caught. Ling Cod is open in Area's 10, 11 and 27 and Although Lingcod is currently closed to retention in area 12, they are a really fun fish to catch and release.

Of course Red Snapper (Yelloweye Rockfish) fishing seems to get better all the time, which is great considering they are excellent table fare. Maybe the rockfish conservation areas (RCA's) were a good idea after all! Just remember you are still only allowed to retain 1 in area 12

Chinook Salmon are starting to show on both sides of the Island, with fish in the 12- 25lb range being caught quite regularily by some of the savy locals. Northern Vancouver Island is blessed to have Chinook Salmon Fishing for most of the year in the sheltered waters of Quatsino Sound and Queen Charlotte Strait (Pt Hardy). The Salmon runs are looking really good for the upcoming season, and the locals can‘t wait.
Is there anything happening on the Bow river right now? I miss the old girl some times!!
Tight Lines,
MK

SNAPFisher
04-09-2009, 12:19 PM
Well, I know what I'm doing next April, and, likely the guy to call for it. Thanks Walleyes! A great post with great info.

Freakin nice hali - that 70lber - by the way.

Rigg dogg
04-09-2009, 01:04 PM
Walleye's and Jamie, sent you guys a PM.

BBJTKLE&FISHINGADVENTURES
04-09-2009, 01:15 PM
That's a whopper there Walleyes , great Halibut.Looks like she was a productive trip .Thanks for sharing .

Walleyes
04-09-2009, 02:02 PM
Port Hardy, and Quatsino Sound BC Fishing Report

Spring is here, and the Halibut Season has opened in the waters around Port Hardy and Quatsino Sound, Vancouver Island, BC. The fishing has been solid so far, as we have seen some large Halibut and what appears to be an abundance of trophy Lingcod being caught. Ling Cod is open in Area's 10, 11 and 27 and Although Lingcod is currently closed to retention in area 12, they are a really fun fish to catch and release.

Of course Red Snapper (Yelloweye Rockfish) fishing seems to get better all the time, which is great considering they are excellent table fare. Maybe the rockfish conservation areas (RCA's) were a good idea after all! Just remember you are still only allowed to retain 1 in area 12

Chinook Salmon are starting to show on both sides of the Island, with fish in the 12- 25lb range being caught quite regularily by some of the savy locals. Northern Vancouver Island is blessed to have Chinook Salmon Fishing for most of the year in the sheltered waters of Quatsino Sound and Queen Charlotte Strait (Pt Hardy). The Salmon runs are looking really good for the upcoming season, and the locals can‘t wait.
Is there anything happening on the Bow river right now? I miss the old girl some times!!
Tight Lines,
MK

Please,, feel free to highjack a thread any time you would like !!!

Rigg,,,
Got the PM great stuff man. Looks like I have some research to do. Going to the Charlotte's with my own boat has been a dream just never really had the info but at least now a guy has a place to start. I would imagine it is still a couple years away for me but like I said now I have a start..

Thx Rigg.

dss44
04-09-2009, 02:51 PM
Please,, feel free to highjack a thread any time you would like !!!

Rigg,,,
Got the PM great stuff man. Looks like I have some research to do. Going to the Charlotte's with my own boat has been a dream just never really had the info but at least now a guy has a place to start. I would imagine it is still a couple years away for me but like I said now I have a start..

Thx Rigg.

Ah, Walleyes, Mike is a good guy. He's new too...I'm sure I did that a couple times on this forum when I was first here too...at that time was thinking advertise first, forum chat second... give him a mulligan ;) lol

Walleyes
04-09-2009, 04:23 PM
Ah, Walleyes, Mike is a good guy. He's new too...I'm sure I did that a couple times on this forum when I was first here too...at that time was thinking advertise first, forum chat second... give him a mulligan ;) lol

:) :) No sweat dss,, just being a grumpy old fisherman I guess.

I know there are a few that read it that appreciatted the info. Don't sweat it T & T ...

Tides and Tales
04-11-2009, 12:31 PM

Thanks for the vote Dave! Is this SR or Jr? Did you whack anything last fall?

Walleyes - The info was for the benefit of the "do it yourselfer's out there". Being a former Albertan (15yrs removed) and a full time fisherman for the last 10yrs, I don't mind throwing the odd bone. Anyhow, to the do it yourself crowd, there is no substitute for experience. It will always be safer, cheaper, and more productive to hire an experienced guide!! I am sure dss44 will agree!
MK

Walleyes
04-11-2009, 01:52 PM
I don't mind throwing the odd bone. Anyhow, to the do it yourself crowd, there is no substitute for experience. It will always be safer, cheaper, and more productive to hire an experienced guide!! I am sure dss44 will agree!

Gee thx for thinking of us mear mortals :huh: :huh:

As far as ALWAYS being safer and cheaper and more productive to hire a guide,,, careful now mister big there are quite a few of us on here with quite extensive west coast experience.. Its not to often that I have been out done by even the best of the guides out there..

dss44
04-11-2009, 02:41 PM
Thanks for the vote Dave! Is this SR or Jr? Did you whack anything last fall?

Walleyes - The info was for the benefit of the "do it yourselfer's out there". Being a former Albertan (15yrs removed) and a full time fisherman for the last 10yrs, I don't mind throwing the odd bone. Anyhow, to the do it yourself crowd, there is no substitute for experience. It will always be safer, cheaper, and more productive to hire an experienced guide!! I am sure dss44 will agree!
MK

The better looking one...aka Jr. My Pops doesn't even know where the address bar is :lol::lol: Nothing last fall unfortunately...didn't have any time...university is quite the time consuming unfortunately...and didn't get drawn for any LEH's either. Up in Hardy already?