PDA

View Full Version : Marcum lx3 transducer question

BUCKAROO
12-31-2016, 08:11 PM
First off happy new year everyone !

So my question is how deep does everyone set there transducer ? So santa left me a flasher under the tree for Christmas and the manual says never set the transducer below the ice so I have been setting it at around 8" but I was fishing with a buddy yesterday and he says you have to go below the ice. I've used it 4 times since Christmas and it appears to be working fine. Does it really matter if I'm marking fish with my current setup.

huntsfurfish
12-31-2016, 09:12 PM

So my question is how deep does everyone set there transducer ? So santa left me a flasher under the tree for Christmas and the manual says never set the transducer below the ice so I have been setting it at around 8" but I was fishing with a buddy yesterday and he says you have to go below the ice. I've used it 4 times since Christmas and it appears to be working fine. Does it really matter if I'm marking fish with my current setup.

Not sure why they would say that? I never had a problem setting mine below the ice.

edit: Checked around guess some people rip them out of the hole when they get a bite:). My electronics get their own hole so not a problem for me.

RavYak
12-31-2016, 09:24 PM

It doesn't say never to have the transducer below the ice. It says

We recommend setting your stopper to have the transducer down the least amount possible. The LX3-tc puts out enough power that in most cases it is not necessary to have your transducer down more than a few inches below the water line to get a good reading. When the ice thickness is over two feet, it may be necessary to have your transducer set farther down. Remember--the less transducer cable you have out, the easier it is to pull it out of the water when bringing in a fish, or to move to a new location.

Which is all true.

The key is you have to have it down far enough that the ice is not within the cone angle. With marcums you can have them higher up in the hole because of the arm that holds the transducer in place but you need to make sure the transducer is in the middle of the hole if you do this.

If you leave the transducer at edge of the hole you will need to have it below the ice level to get the best results otherwise will be shooting through the ice.

Kim473
01-01-2017, 08:29 AM
I set mine at the bottom of the ice.

TylerThomson
01-01-2017, 08:33 AM
If you get your transducer below the ice you can swirl the water in the hole and shoot a way bigger area when scouting for fish.