PDA

View Full Version : Car went through Wabamun

YeeHaw
01-01-2017, 04:36 PM
Just heard a car went through the ice at Wab. Guess it was a rented Mitsubishi and tried going under the tressle

timsesink
01-01-2017, 04:49 PM
Every year some dip#@$% tries it.

NSR_RAT
01-01-2017, 05:04 PM
It would be interesting to know how thick the ice is in that area where the car went in, I was out yesterday just off the main pier in town and the ice was 22 inches thick.

waterninja
01-01-2017, 05:48 PM
A rented car under the trestle? Hmmmmmm, sounds like someone had a beef with a rental company.

Dewey Cox
01-01-2017, 06:54 PM
Hope they bought the insurance.

YeeHaw
01-01-2017, 07:45 PM
Would be an interesting recovery to watch tomorrow. Happend on the lake side of the tressle, far east side

RavYak
01-01-2017, 07:49 PM
Are there any signs on the bank/tressle there? Definitely should be considering how often cars go through there.

dewalt18
01-01-2017, 07:54 PM
Don't be gentle, it's a rental!

A.Unger
01-01-2017, 08:13 PM
http://imgur.com/a/ObYpC

Heres a picture of where it went in, you can see the roof just under the water. Tire tracks in, footprints out

Skoaltender
01-01-2017, 08:29 PM
Are there any signs on the bank/tressle there? Definitely should be considering how often cars go through there.

There used to be a Danger thin ice sign on both sides. No idea if it's there anymore.

Tigrr
01-02-2017, 01:52 PM
All insurance is null and void on water. Including ferries.

trophybook
01-02-2017, 02:08 PM
I called my insurance company last week and confirmed on paper that I am covered as long as I use the transport Canada ice thickness guide. This was intact insurance.

blgoodbrand1
01-02-2017, 02:09 PM

Not the case at all.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

3blade
01-02-2017, 02:40 PM
It should be fenced off every winter... thanks to money grubbing lawyers, no one wants the liability of being the one who put up the fence. Unreal what our legal industry has done.

Wasn't there a betting pool thread on here one year, betting on what date a car would go through there?

RavYak
01-02-2017, 02:55 PM
I called my insurance company last week and confirmed on paper that I am covered as long as I use the transport Canada ice thickness guide. This was intact insurance.

Most if not all insurance companies don't cover you on lakes that have thin ice signs. Wabamun does have thin ice signs as an example.

gtr
01-02-2017, 02:57 PM

Must be a google answer...:)

Tcon
01-02-2017, 10:30 PM
Must be a google answer...:)

Not all insurance is null and void but I called my insurance company about it and they said that I would not be covered on the ice.

Tcon
01-02-2017, 10:32 PM
There are also "Danger Thin Ice" signs around Fallis too. Are the signs there just a Cover Your @ss thing or is there legitimate concern like where that car went in?

warriorboy10
01-02-2017, 10:33 PM
Not all insurance is null and void but I called my insurance company about it and they said that I would not be covered on the ice.

That would not be cool!!:angry3:

RavYak
01-02-2017, 10:37 PM
There are also "Danger Thin Ice" signs around Fallis too. Are the signs there just a Cover Your @ss thing or is there legitimate concern like where that car went in?

I could be wrong but I am guessing the signs were originally put up at all access points back when the plant kept the lake open year round in spots.

There are still a couple thin ice spots most noticeably at the tressle but also where some water flows in from Sundance.

calgarygringo
01-03-2017, 05:49 AM
Not true.
This has been hashed over before on many forums and even most of the agents do not know for sure if covered or not. A lot of the companies do cover you. Mine does and took several calls to find out.
In fact I know 2 people on this forum that dropped their vehicles in the water in the last year or 2 that did get their vehicles covered by their insurance company. I will leave their names out but if they want to chime in they can.

Most if not all insurance companies don't cover you on lakes that have thin ice signs. Wabamun does have thin ice signs as an example.

sns2
01-03-2017, 06:08 AM
I also called my insurance company, Bel Air Direct, and they told me I would not be covered on the ice.

Sent from my LG-H812 using Tapatalk

sns2
01-03-2017, 06:10 AM
However, it was a claims guy I spoke to, and he said for a binding opinion I would need to talk to an adjustor, but they were on holiday hours.

35 whelen
01-03-2017, 06:16 AM
I would like to hear from someone that has put one in the lake, and who they were insured with and what was there experience with them .

bessiedog
01-03-2017, 08:20 AM
I grew up ice fishing for whites by the trestle. The water under the trestle used to be open year round!
We had a truck go through there one time... the guys just figures 'if they went through real real fast.....'

Another time my dad had to rescue some ditz cause she caught a fish and decided to wander around for a bit ... while holding the fish... she went straight for the open water....

Sheesh!

MathewsArcher
01-03-2017, 08:46 AM
I would like to hear from someone that has put one in the lake, and who they were insured with and what was there experience with them .

Put one through Crawling Valley, insured with RBC, claim was no hassle, paid quickly, covered recovery and was more than fair on vehicle value.

35 whelen
01-03-2017, 09:10 AM
I am also insured through RBC and I've talked to a few people there and they say and I am not insured thanks for the info

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk

RavYak
01-03-2017, 09:20 AM
Not true.
This has been hashed over before on many forums and even most of the agents do not know for sure if covered or not. A lot of the companies do cover you. Mine does and took several calls to find out.
In fact I know 2 people on this forum that dropped their vehicles in the water in the last year or 2 that did get their vehicles covered by their insurance company. I will leave their names out but if they want to chime in they can.

You are right this has been hashed over lots and numerous people have stated that their insurance company when contacted said they would not be covered on lakes with thin ice hence my comment...

I would definitely be checking with my provider before driving on a lake with thin ice signs not just taking the word of some person on an internet forum...

sns2
01-03-2017, 09:43 AM
So this morning, I called an adjustor with Bel Air. He looked at my policy and I am covered. I then aske d about recovery costs. He was not sure, but said he'd have to check with the underwriter. I asked that he email me a summary of my coverage with all details. He was happy to do so.

35 whelen
01-03-2017, 10:28 AM
It's funny I talked to two or three different people at my insurance and always get different answers I think the main question is is driving off road not on a ice Road

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk

waterninja
01-03-2017, 11:42 AM
Wrong. This has been discussed many times on many threads.

cribfisher
01-03-2017, 01:38 PM
I talked to AMA and was told there is no automatic exclusion and it would be a case by case decision like any claim. I have 2 vehicles insured, a car and a 4x4, and they also confirmed that the car is more likely to be denied a claim as one of the reasons you pay more for a 4x4 is it is understood it may be taken off public roads where as the car is normally not going to be. This may be one reason some people seem to be getting conflicting answers from the same insurance company.

220 Swift
01-04-2017, 01:15 AM
I grew up ice fishing for whites by the trestle. The water under the trestle used to be open year round!
We had a truck go through there one time... the guys just figures 'if they went through real real fast.....'

Another time my dad had to rescue some ditz cause she caught a fish and decided to wander around for a bit ... while holding the fish... she went straight for the open water....

Sheesh!

I wonder if that ladys fish was "the one that got away?" Or if the fish said that about her.

AK47
01-04-2017, 09:33 AM

That's not true. I spoke with my insurance and they confirmed that they cover it.

MathewsArcher
01-04-2017, 09:41 AM
If you have comprehensive coverage in general it would be covered, at least that is my understanding and what I was told with my claim with RBC.

sns2
01-04-2017, 04:09 PM
If you have comprehensive coverage in general it would be covered, at least that is my understanding and what I was told with my claim with RBC.
How much was the recovery cost to fish it out of the water. What did they need to use?

MathewsArcher
01-05-2017, 09:36 AM
This was about 15 years ago, but recovery costs were just over 10K at the time. City Wide towing did the recovery. Backed a picker right up to were I went in after testing the ice on the way out, diver hooked it up and they lifted it straight out and drove it off the ice.

Hit a weak spot lots of other vehicles had drove over. Ice was thin in a very small area due to gas upwelling in the lake. Go figure. Lighter vehicle, Dodge Dakota, going less than 15kph.

muzzy
01-07-2017, 01:12 PM
My neighbour put his 4x4 truck thru on Wabamun 2 yrs ago on SW side of lake. Insurance fully covered it

diadromous
01-13-2017, 12:03 PM
Hey guys! So happy to have found this thread. I'm with Big Hill Towing and we are providing the divers to recover this vehicle. I'm assuming with the weather we have had that the hole is iced over and the exact location of the vehicle will be hidden. On our past ice recoveries finding the vehicle has presented a serious challenge.

So I thought I'd put it out there and see if anyone knows the exact location? Also any information regarding water visibility, ice thickness and closest access to the cars location would be greatly appreciated. We would like to have this car out of the fishery and minimize its contaminants impact as quickly as possible.

Thanks guys!

RavYak
01-13-2017, 12:22 PM
On our past ice recoveries finding the vehicle has presented a serious challenge.

Whoever it is that goes to investigate these instances should be getting a GPS location, seems like a no brainer to me especially if vehicles are going to be left for 2+ weeks...

Willowtrail
01-13-2017, 01:39 PM
Hey guys! So happy to have found this thread. I'm with Big Hill Towing and we are providing the divers to recover this vehicle. I'm assuming with the weather we have had that the hole is iced over and the exact location of the vehicle will be hidden. On our past ice recoveries finding the vehicle has presented a serious challenge.

So I thought I'd put it out there and see if anyone knows the exact location? Also any information regarding water visibility, ice thickness and closest access to the cars location would be greatly appreciated. We would like to have this car out of the fishery and minimize its contaminants impact as quickly as possible.

Thanks guys!

From what I know it's on the main lake side of the railroad trestle. The trestle is east of town. Best access is at the main launch at wabamun. The trestle separates the main lake from the provincial park bay on the northeast corner

Isopod
01-13-2017, 02:17 PM
While insurance may cover your personal vehicle, if this was really a rental (as described at the start of the thread) then the vehicle operator is most likely out of luck. Most rental companies won't even insure a vehicle on gravel roads so I'd be really surprised if they'd insure it driving on thin ice.

darren32
01-13-2017, 02:25 PM
From what I know it's on the main lake side of the railroad trestle. The trestle is east of town. Best access is at the main launch at wabamun. The trestle separates the main lake from the provincial park bay on the northeast corner

Based on that:
53.554969° -114.45473°

Booyacka
01-14-2017, 10:16 AM
Hope they bought the insurance.

soon as you drive on the ice your insurance is void

sureshot
01-14-2017, 03:20 PM
soon as you drive on the ice your insurance is void

False

Sundancefisher
01-14-2017, 05:07 PM

Sheesh!

I grew up there fishing with my grandpa. One day my dad rescued a kid who fell in and was being swept under the ice by the current.

Saw may a vehicle there to...mostly pick up trucks under water. Cold snap...ice freezes right under the trestle. Light dusting of snow and a newbie wouldn't have a clue.