PDA

View Full Version : Fall grey camo

Garsonroad
01-02-2017, 02:34 PM
I want to ask you guys about the Predator camo in fall grey pattern. I read an article about because it has too much white that it spooks deer, is this true? I was thinking of getting a pair of pants in fall grey but just really curious about these comments. We hunt the aspen country in the Western Foothills and currently wear Realtree bibs but have been kidded by my buddies that I look like a bear from a distance. We spot and stalk and thought I was doing okay by the 2 steps and stop for 30 sec then move but I guess not. I've lost weight all summer and fall and need new pants so just a thought about the fall grey, ASAT I read is supposed to be good.

double gun
01-02-2017, 02:39 PM
I run both asat and predator fall grey. I typically wear the asat when on the ground and the predator when in a treestand. I like both very much.

58thecat
01-02-2017, 02:40 PM
Nope, wind in your favor, movement to a minimal and sound, colours of any mixture will not disturb deer.
Old timers use to sit dressed in an array of red colours choking back a stogie and shot game every year.
Don't over think this. You like'em and they fit go buy 'em.:)

3blade
01-02-2017, 03:09 PM
Good treestand pattern but I agree it would be very noticeable moving around on the ground. Think about what parts of a deer you see first...whitetail tail flick or mule deer rump/muzzle. White reflects too much light.

If you have to have camo, I'd highly suggest you look into the various optifade and kryptek patterns. They are actually based on the science of vision/perception, don't blob up at distance and work in a wide variety of terrain.

I've had deer looking through me at arms length, had a coyote walk right up and step on my boot once while standing still (he's probably still running :lol:).

Rio56
01-02-2017, 03:46 PM
I want to ask you guys about the Predator camo in fall grey pattern. I read an article about because it has too much white that it spooks deer, is this true? I was thinking of getting a pair of pants in fall grey but just really curious about these comments. We hunt the aspen country in the Western Foothills and currently wear Realtree bibs but have been kidded by my buddies that I look like a bear from a distance. We spot and stalk and thought I was doing okay by the 2 steps and stop for 30 sec then move but I guess not. I've lost weight all summer and fall and need new pants so just a thought about the fall grey, ASAT I read is supposed to be good.

fall grey in the predator is top line camo ... not sure where everyone thinks "white " spooks deer ... ever heard of snow .. the contrast of camo patterns are better ... its all about breaking up your profile

HoytCRX32
01-03-2017, 06:53 AM
I have it and love it, although I tend to wear it more (I also have Realtree camo) when there are patches of snow.

JustMe
01-03-2017, 07:20 AM
Deer, and I assume other game animals as well, are strange animals. I've been in situations where we've been standing around a campfire cooking lunch, and have deer walk by quite close. Has happened on more than one occasion. Oftentimes my partner was wearing a green and black checkered coat.

Nope, wind in your favor, movement to a minimal and sound, colours of any mixture will not disturb deer.
Old timers use to sit dressed in an array of red colours choking back a stogie and shot game every year.
Don't over think this. You like'em and they fit go buy 'em.:)

bubba300
01-03-2017, 08:21 AM
I had a whitetail doe walk about 10 feet from me on a powerline,I was wearing a blaze orange coat and smoking a cigarette.

Thunder/FX
01-03-2017, 08:47 AM
I have worn it for over 20 yrs.
The number of close proximity encounters that I have experienced are big enough for me to call BS on that one. It is my go to pattern in late fall and winter. In my Avitar too. Worked for that one.
But I am a hunter not a salesman...

dfrobert
01-04-2017, 08:06 AM
Shot my WT buck at 20 yards this year in my tree stand in a mature poplar canopy, could of easily been skylined with no leaves but I find the open concept blends well in a lot of situations. It works.