PDA

View Full Version : Elk Hunting

Bosskoss
04-08-2009, 09:41 AM
Morning Guys,
I was looking to pick your brain a little. I will be a priority 9 this year on elk and will pretty much have the pick of the province. I was curious what your thoughts where on Elk in Alberta and what zone a guy could draw in to have the opportunity whack a gooder. In my conversations with friends and other hunters the west country seems to have been hit hard by wolves and the Panther, Clearwater, Ya ha tinda ect don’t have the bulls that they once did. Edgerton was once a great zone but the problem there now is the elk have gotten smart and bounce back/forth from the Grazing Reserve to the Military Base depending on the season. Have you heard anything on Cypress Hills? I’ve had buddies hunt Suffield but there again the elk bounce in and out of the military base. I’ve heard good things about Athabasca but know very little about the area. Any large grazing reserves? Any help would be appreciated.

Bulletproof
04-08-2009, 10:20 AM
Well teh Cypress hills draw is seperate from Antlered elk so I think you are SOL on that one. Suffield seems to the the best bet for a real good bull. 102 might be looking into as well.

Duk Dog
04-10-2009, 08:56 PM
What are you looking for in a hunt? The mountain experience, the prairie experience, high odds at punching your tag on any elk etc.?

Bosskoss
04-10-2009, 09:03 PM
I've been 999 my draw for years in the aniticipation of giving a real good bull a parking ticket. In the perfect world I'd like to have the best opportunity of putting a gagger on the wall.

Duk Dog
04-10-2009, 09:05 PM
I'm partial to Suffield ;) but the # 1 bull this year came out of the Edgerton/Wainwright country.

Bosskoss
04-10-2009, 09:09 PM
I was under the impression the bulls really use the millitary base to their advantage, bouncing back and forth. Is there a website that shows the biggest bulls taken for that hunting year in Alberta? Also do you know anything on the 151/152 zones? I had a buddy hunt Suffield and saw 2 bulls in 2 weeks. Seen lots on the base however.

Duk Dog
04-10-2009, 09:16 PM
Did your buddy get a bull? Which season? The elk will and do leave the base. My best advise if you are cashing in 9 years of points do your research, scout in the summer, and be prepared to hunt every day of your season.

BrownBear416
04-10-2009, 09:19 PM
I'm partial to Suffield ;) but the # 1 bull this year came out of the Edgerton/Wainwright country.

Dont listen to Duk Dog....he only shoots bulls with milk on there lips:innocent:

Bosskoss
04-10-2009, 09:23 PM
Did your buddy get a bull? Which season? The elk will and do leave the base. My best advise if you are cashing in 9 years of points do your research, scout in the summer, and be prepared to hunt every day of your season.

He did get a nice 6x6 two years ago in the Nov season i believe.

Duk Dog
04-10-2009, 09:24 PM

Rackmastr
04-11-2009, 05:32 PM
You need to decide what is the most important to you (big bull, decent bull but good chances, mountain hunt vs prairie hunt, private land vs public, lots of scouting required vs minimal)

Main thing is doing your research on ALL the areas you want to find out about....making the phone calls, hiking around and talking to people who know the areas....