PDA

View Full Version : Elk doowwwwwnn! Pics tomorrow...

bessiedog
01-04-2017, 06:39 PM
Third times the charm!!

After three big hike-stalks.... buddy whacked his cow way up top there at last light.

All he could do was hit her, tag her and drag her away from the Gut pile.

I was down by the vehicles waiting...(I'm sick)... glassed wolves.

Hope we still got meat tomorrow.

It'll probably be fine.

Maybe score a wolf bounty in the AM!

Long day!

Good times!

nube
01-04-2017, 07:09 PM
Third times the charm!!

After three big hike-stalks.... buddy whacked his cow way up top there at last light.

It'll probably be fine.

Long day!

Good times!

Should have left a jacket on the carcass or something......

bessiedog
01-04-2017, 07:43 PM
Or at least peed around it.

Buddy was tired.

katts69
01-04-2017, 07:54 PM
So why was that all you could do? Don't have a headlamp? You couldn't help? Just curious.

bessiedog
01-04-2017, 08:03 PM
Buddy was tired

Not thinking

I spotted the wolf from down below so he wasent thinking along those lines.
If one does 10+K getting up high where the elk play... going through big snow....

http://i1077.photobucket.com/albums/w463/bessierobcat/B5CE3755-F545-435A-A28F-3FA992AA6ED7.jpg

You'll notice the ground round here ain't flat.

Well ya might forget a detail or two.

Try going up three times for elk in a day. You'd understand if you were there.

If your asking bout me...well.. I think I said I was sick.. just coming off the flu. Which makes me pretty useless.

Scott N
01-04-2017, 08:16 PM
Nice to hear of some late season success. We still have a couple of cow tags for 304, be out looking again this weekend.

Scott h
01-04-2017, 08:20 PM
Congrats on the score!! Hopefully it's still all in good shape when you go get it in the morning :sHa_shakeshout:

Abe89
01-04-2017, 08:31 PM
You are going to post coordinates right? Isn't that one of the forum rules? With elk harvest story must come elk coordinates? [emoji39] well done, well earned

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

KBF
01-04-2017, 08:57 PM
Very pretty country.

J0HN_R1
01-04-2017, 09:19 PM
Congrats to your buddy, but if you saw wolves before you left... I'd bet the elk won't be there in the AM, at least not like he left it.

Good Luck !

concretefisher
01-04-2017, 10:47 PM
Hope he atleast grabbed the tenders....:angry3:

threeforthree
01-04-2017, 11:56 PM
Way to go guys!!!! thats a crazy hunt,,lets hope ya have some meat in the morning!!! duck hunting is so much easier.

58thecat
01-05-2017, 06:31 AM
Pics...pics...nice country....pics....yup I'm like a lab wanting the last bite!:)

HoytCRX32
01-05-2017, 07:40 AM
Congrats...did he get her on the east slope of the actual range or more in the hills in the foreground?

bessiedog
01-05-2017, 07:45 AM
The upper lungs. ;)
High lung shot, next to no blood trail, she ran 300 yards south I guess.

That pic was from a hike I did last feb..... sorry if I misled. It's kinda like the country we hunt elk in so people could see how much work is involved.

Heh!

Just waiting to get picked up. Packin my ole .303 for dog medicine.

Grizzly Adams
01-05-2017, 08:13 AM
So why was that all you could do? Don't have a headlamp? You couldn't help? Just curious.

You ever work with a knife in the dark? :D

Grizz

covey ridge
01-05-2017, 08:24 AM
Congratulation to your Buddy:)

A few years ago I did a large cow after a knee deep high climb. I would have still been there if it were not for two strong young bucks who did most of the grunt work getting my elk off the ridge.

Here is hoping that you and your Buddy are eating elk soon:)

katts69
01-05-2017, 08:36 AM
Grizz, worked with a knife lots in the dark. Packed moose quarters all thru the night as well. To each his own.
Congrats on the elk.

bessiedog
01-05-2017, 10:32 AM
Grizz, worked with a knife lots in the dark. Packed moose quarters all thru the night as well. To each his own.
Congrats on the elk.

Ya ok katts... I get it. Your tougher than me. Thanks for that.

Anyways.....

She's packed and loaded. It's nice to have buddies.

5 guys makes short work.

Elk got chewed on a bit as the pic shows. But there's lots and lots left.
http://i1077.photobucket.com/albums/w463/bessierobcat/A1164C1A-DD39-4250-A685-0C25E473375D.jpg

Damn critters..... oh well , Mother Nature took her cut I guess.

Buddy is very grateful and tired, he'll be cutting meat soon.

I'm thankful for the great landowners and friends I have in the area. Chasin elk on multiple private quarters requires good relations and lots of phone calls.

We're very lucky to know a lot of real quality people! It's amazing to me how many people are willing to drop whatever and lend a hand. That don't happen much in the city from my experience.

I'm gonna have a coffee and finish being sick now.

waterninja
01-05-2017, 10:47 AM
Congrats to you and your harvest Bessie. Your darn tootin it helps to have friends. It's easy to say I'd do this or that while sitting at a computer, but out in the field things are a little different. Glad you got almost all of it loaded up. Tenderloin tonight.

CNP
01-05-2017, 11:03 AM
Congrats...did he get her on the east slope of the actual range or more in the hills in the foreground?

That's what I was thinkin' :)

The upper lungs. ;)
High lung shot, next to no blood trail, she ran 300 yards south I guess.

That pic was from a hike I did last feb..... sorry if I misled. It's kinda like the country we hunt elk in so people could see how much work is involved.

Heh!

Just waiting to get picked up. Packin my ole .303 for dog medicine.

Congrats BD!

Stinky Buffalo
01-05-2017, 11:25 AM
Congrats to you and your buddy, BessieDog!

That's going to be some great eating. Enjoy!

Ranger CS
01-05-2017, 11:26 AM
Congrats to you and your buddy BD. Hunting this time of year can be tough but rewarding. My son Mark, took out a young first timer earlier this week and the lad was thrilled to shoot his first elk. Sorry to hear you are under the weather Bud. Enjoy the meat.

Albertadiver
01-05-2017, 11:28 AM
Congrats!

Hauled out my cow elk last year out of the same area with just me and another guy. I'm still tired thinking about it!

Love that country though. Wouldn't give that up for nothing.

Sooner
01-05-2017, 11:48 AM
Beauty country, congrats to the lucky hunter. Harvest always seems to taste better after working like a dog to retrieve.

marlin1
01-05-2017, 12:43 PM
congrats on the cow

covey ridge
01-05-2017, 01:05 PM
Happy Ending:)

Pekan
01-05-2017, 01:21 PM
Congrats to your buddy.
Life's too short to hunt ugly country. The hills are lots of work but worth it.

drake
01-05-2017, 01:27 PM
awesome. Get well soon

nube
01-05-2017, 02:45 PM
Ravens made short work of that in the limited time they had...... too bad and I guess you could shrug it off but there are ways to avoid this in the future and it doesn't take much. Lesson learnt I hope and congrats on hauling your buddies Elk off the hill. Looks like you must have been able to drive up to it pretty close to get it in whole

Ranger CS
01-05-2017, 03:36 PM
Ravens made short work of that in the limited time they had...... too bad and I guess you could shrug it off but there are ways to avoid this in the future and it doesn't take much. Lesson learnt I hope and congrats on hauling your buddies Elk off the hill. Looks like you must have been able to drive up to it pretty close to get it in whole

Jumping to conclusions are you not? Any small carnivorous predator could have visited the kill. You can drag an elk whole for miles before loading it in a truck.

bessiedog
01-05-2017, 03:48 PM
Hunting up high means downhill drag.

And you all know.. I chucked that mouse of an elk over me shoulder and carried it 1/2 way.

Woulda done the whole trip, but I felt I was being selfish and had a hankering for coffee... in me thermos.

Ranger knows what I can do when it comes to moving elk.

chaser
01-05-2017, 03:52 PM
Congrats on the elk! I've been there as well some time its all you can do to make it back to the truck. Congrats again!

bessiedog
01-05-2017, 03:57 PM
Congrats on the elk! I've been there as well some time its all you can do to make it back to the truck. Congrats again!

I've left elk.

I've been where we left moose.

I always covered with spruce, left clothing, and peed around it.

Not my kill. I respect my buddy's accomplishment, he hunted hard. Made it back to the truck.

I blame myself for not giving him a radio.

We'll leave it at that.

Ranger CS
01-05-2017, 04:24 PM
I've left elk.

I've been where we left moose.

I always covered with spruce, left clothing, and peed around it.

Not my kill. I respect my buddy's accomplishment, he hunted hard. Made it back to the truck.

I blame myself for not giving him a radio.

We'll leave it at that.

BD, I too have had to leave animals in the bush overnight. I suspect most of us who has hunted in the mountains lots have had to do so. It can be challenging enough hauling out a big game animal in the daylight and extremely difficult in the dark, even with headlamps. And then of course, there is the risk factor of having to deal with a large predator in the dark that is attracted to your kill. Gota say, I have been fortunate in that I have not lost any meat doing so. As you described, covering your kill with tree boughs, urinating and possibly leaving a piece of unneeded clothing on the kill is a good practice. Congrats on recovering your buddies elk with what appears to be minimal loss.

58thecat
01-05-2017, 04:37 PM
Great to see you got it, nature had a bite too now you get a few good meals to enjoy also!:sHa_shakeshout:

covey ridge
01-05-2017, 04:47 PM
Looks like you must have been able to drive up to it pretty close to get it in whole

From the pic, it look like it was cut in half.

katts69
01-05-2017, 07:13 PM
Bessie, not saying you ain't tough. Don't know you from Adam. I was just curious.
A guy works hard enough for his game and when successful I want to get it broke down and back to camp or the truck without loss.
Your buddy was lucky. Best of luck in 2017.

covey ridge
01-05-2017, 08:47 PM
Bessie, not saying you ain't tough. Don't know you from Adam. I was just curious.
A guy works hard enough for his game and when successful I want to get it broke down and back to camp or the truck without loss.
Your buddy was lucky. Best of luck in 2017.

Yes he was lucky! No one likes to see even the smallest game left behind.

A large animal down at last light. Way back in the boonies or up in the boonies! Weather! Dark! No communication! Bessie I am glad your buddy chose to get back to base. If you would have lost the elk we would have all had a swat at you, but next to a human being elk meat is nothing. Bessie, I am glad your buddy made it back. We could have been talking about something else. Celebrate a successful hunt:sHa_shakeshout:

Knot Rite
01-05-2017, 09:52 PM
Nice. But as usual a price is paid. Bits and pieces and blood and sweat is left on the mountain side. I usually hunt near Waterton and sometimes your not sure if your hunting or being hunted. With all the predators where I hunt I can assure you, their would be little left if left overnight.
I noticed from your pix that there appears to be a pole barn there and a possible road. Do you have access to it or did you hike up to there? Some of those ranchers are pretty good about helping in getting an elk or moose out of the bush with the use of a nice looking tractor coming your way. :) Enjoy.

Bobby

bpk1982
01-05-2017, 09:54 PM
Congrats on the elk. I've been in the situation of having to leave a moose overnight. It happens. I'm not to sure what's up with the couple guys on here giving a hard time about it. I say good job. Hope you get well soon.

purgatory.sv
01-05-2017, 10:37 PM
Third times the charm!!

It'll probably be fine.

Long day!

Good times!

Excellent.

Please continue to share your and all your adventures in the harvest.

Have a healthy and good new year.:)

alpineguy
01-06-2017, 08:31 AM
Congrats to your buddy on his cow.

I have left many animals out over night with no issues. I usually leave the layer which I am wearing closest to my body hanging close by the carcass.

sns2
01-06-2017, 11:14 AM
Great job, Bessie.

Ignore the peanut gallery:)

Sent from my LG-H812 using Tapatalk

Rockman
01-06-2017, 08:53 PM
Congrats!

bb356
01-06-2017, 09:19 PM
Cool !!!

2 Tollers
01-06-2017, 09:24 PM
Very nice Thanks for taking the time to put this up. To bad on the radio's but the end result is not that bad. I have seen much worse damage after a night out.

LJalberta
01-06-2017, 11:14 PM
Excellent.

Please continue to share your and all your adventures in the harvest.

Have a healthy and good new year.:)

Agreed. Thanks for taking the time to share. Gotta love putting elk in the freezer.