PDA

View Full Version : 2017 Moose sheds.....

whitetail Junkie
01-05-2017, 08:28 PM
looks like I might actually get a few days off work next week for a change....Dad and I plan on going out scouting for moose in new\old areas and meeting with some landowners for next falls hunt.

do you think the big bulls have already dropped there antlers by now?.... I was thinking if we can't get any pictures\views of some nice bulls we might at least find a shed or two.....No idea where to look for moose sheds by the way....I just assume they are where they are?

Dan4570
01-05-2017, 08:37 PM
Not here to brag. But I have had great luck with finding over 40 moose antlers last year here in Alberta.
Usually it's tough bush I'm searching in as well. 2016 alone was 1000 kms of hiking to find 41 moose.
I've learned the best places to find them are in willow. And swampy areas. 80% I've found are no more than a few hundred yards from water or willow. I've also found them under tree rubs. Look for tree rubs 6 feet high. Good indication there's a big bull.

Big bulls have started to drop. Found a nice set Dec 24th. Found the same bulls set last year on Dec 26th.

SamSteele
01-05-2017, 08:39 PM
Whitetail bucks on camera still have their racks, fwiw.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Dan4570
01-05-2017, 08:41 PM
Whitetail bucks on camera still have their racks, fwiw.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Definitely. Last year most whitetails didn't even drop till April for me.

Pathfinder76
01-05-2017, 08:44 PM
Whitetail aren't Moose.

SamSteele
01-05-2017, 08:56 PM
Sorry my contribution wasn't valuable to you.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

whitetail Junkie
01-05-2017, 09:15 PM
Not here to brag. But I have had great luck with finding over 40 moose antlers last year here in Alberta.
Usually it's tough bush I'm searching in as well. 2016 alone was 1000 kms of hiking to find 41 moose.
I've learned the best places to find them are in willow. And swampy areas. 80% I've found are no more than a few hundred yards from water or willow. I've also found them under tree rubs. Look for tree rubs 6 feet high. Good indication there's a big bull.

Big bulls have started to drop. Found a nice set Dec 24th. Found the same bulls set last year on Dec 26th.

wow thats a lot of moose sheds and kilometres walked :scared0015:

Id be thrilled to find a set of sheds like the bull in your picture...very nice!

Thanks for the tips!

husky7mm
01-05-2017, 10:32 PM
Found 3 so far without looking, just out checking cams and hunting wolves. Found a great big paddle the other day and 2 smaller ones. Would say they were from late dec as they had snow on them and the tracks were gone. Always nice finding a big paddle. Can't seem to find a match off any big guys. Seen a few 30 inch bulls in late march before, strange. Good luck, time in the outdoors is never wasted.

fulltime pops
01-05-2017, 10:56 PM
bull moose still have there racks i seen a nice Big Huge Bull Month Ago s but got away up the mountain... ever since then i manage to got out 2 times in since i seen that one and on last 2nd time on Monday i got this Bull Moose 9 points on one side 10 on the other..never measured the width yet.:)

TBark
01-06-2017, 09:11 AM
Nice, didn't know moose was still open.

TBark

fulltime pops
01-06-2017, 09:47 AM
Nice, didn't know moose was still open.

TBarkAlways open for me... i dont go all out.. i just go out when i start to run out of wild game meat..

Big Grey Wolf
01-07-2017, 09:50 AM
Nice to see someone can hunt 365 days a year, the rest of us can only hunt moose for 30 days in November. In general moose will drop their antlers earlier during a very cold winter.

grouse_hunter
01-07-2017, 03:54 PM
I guess, good for you, Fulltime pops, I was about to make a post that would definitely put me in the time-out corner, but I'll refrain from doing so.
I have a cow moose living in my back yard, so I can't expect her to shed anything. Yesterday I saw a whitetail buck with his antlers attached.

Snap Shot
01-07-2017, 06:06 PM
Always open for me... i dont go all out.. i just go out when i start to run out of wild game meat..

Aren't you a carpenter from Sask?

Snap Shot
01-07-2017, 06:07 PM
wow thats a lot of moose sheds and kilometres walked :scared0015:

Id be thrilled to find a set of sheds like the bull in your picture...very nice!

Thanks for the tips!

All moose I have seen are still packing as of a few days ago.

Rangifer
01-11-2017, 06:03 PM
Still some packing horns south of Calgary, as are many deer. I don't expect the deer to drop for a month or two, but the moose seem to drop from December -Feb IMO

CanadianEh
01-11-2017, 06:19 PM
Whitetails are dropping forsure.. Havent seen any moose to speak of though. I should go look

http://outdoorsmenforum.ca/showthread.php?t=311191

Smokinyotes
01-11-2017, 07:00 PM
I saw 4 small bulls all together last week. All still had antlers. I have not found any deer sheds yet and usually by this tme of year i have found small sheds in our bale yard.

NCC
01-13-2017, 08:38 PM
Nice to see someone can hunt 365 days a year, the rest of us can only hunt moose for 30 days in November. In general moose will drop their antlers earlier during a very cold winter.

30 days every ten or fifteen years. Probably 20-30 years before I draw my next one after this.

Big January bulls must be prime eating.

Ranger CS
01-13-2017, 10:18 PM

From your experience what is the earliest date you can expect to find sheds.?

Ranger CS
01-13-2017, 10:19 PM

From your experience what is the earliest date you can expect to find moose sheds.?