PDA

View Full Version : Trout in Mcgregor?

Evil69
01-05-2017, 09:48 PM
anyone know if there are trout in Mcgregor? The reason I ask is this morning I lost a fish at the hole that looked and felt strikingly like a rainbow. I was fishing 10FOW and I was pulling my line up to re position my jig head when a fish nailed it from just under the ice. It took off and I had to adjust my drag because it was screaming away from me so hard. I fought it and got it to the hole where my first reaction was that it was a slim scrappy whitefish but the head was wrong...stubby like a trout. When I went to grab it to pull it out it was super slippery like a trout and I lost control of it and it down the hole it went never to be seen again. Now I'm originally from BC, I know what a Rainbow looks and fights like. I cut my teeth on Whiteswan Lake rainbows since I was 5. In the last month I've caught a little over 150 whites between Travers and McGregor, I know what they fight like and how they feel. Am I on drugs or are there Rainbows hidden in McGregor that nobody told me about?

Xbolt7mm
01-05-2017, 09:52 PM
Yes there is trout in any of those reservoirs that come off that water system

Evil69
01-05-2017, 09:57 PM
Wow thank you...I thought I was losing my mind. Even the wife was thinking too much time on the ice had gotten to me lol

Evil69
01-05-2017, 10:00 PM
I don't see anything in the regs for McG but the PP1 regs say 5, guess had I landed it I could have kept it.....time to dig out the trout gear for next week :)

Xbolt7mm
01-05-2017, 10:14 PM
I don't see anything in the regs for McG but the PP1 regs say 5, guess had I landed it I could have kept it.....time to dig out the trout gear for next week :)

I was at fishing derbys in the summer there and there was a category for trout.

DiabeticKripple
01-05-2017, 10:46 PM
I have pulled rainbows out of mcgregor. They are in there.

ORV
01-06-2017, 07:22 AM
Wow thank you...I thought I was losing my mind. Even the wife was thinking too much time on the ice had gotten to me lol

They come in from the canal off the bow

used to catch some huge ones a few years ago

pretty rare but a great surprise

Orv.

MoFugger21
01-06-2017, 09:48 AM
I don't know how abundant they are in there, but I've definitely heard of guys landing both rainbows and browns in McGregor.

And yes, as long as you're following the general regulations for PP1 you could keep the trout in there.

marlin1
01-06-2017, 09:55 AM
I've caught rainbows in Magregor and Travers . Travers was many moons ago

fish99
01-06-2017, 10:19 AM
i have caught rainbows and 1 brown in magregor mostly in the canal , i have a rainbow that is mounted from little bow res lake that was as silver as a new nickle. lots of fun when hooked on light tackle,and these are usually good sized fish. they come in from the bow river at the carsland weir.

Habfan
01-08-2017, 09:13 AM
I was at fishing derbys in the summer there and there was a category for trout.

I won it 1 year. 5 were entered the last year of the derby. :sHa_shakeshout: I also caught a brown trout in the canal that feeds McGregor.