PDA

View Full Version : Taking a baby ice fishing

WhitefishLady
01-06-2017, 10:24 AM
Hi was wondering if anyone ever took their babies/small kids ice fishing? Im 38.5 weeks preggers and you know priorities haha. Not sure if its feasible this year but possible on a warm and non windy day this coming April where there is still ice (like upper/lower kan). We have a heater and shack. I actually dont even mind if I dont get to fish or if its just a short trip, just want to get out :). Just would like to hear peoples experiences.

Mike_W
01-06-2017, 10:30 AM
Hi was wondering if anyone ever took their babies/small kids ice fishing? Im 38.5 weeks preggers and you know priorities haha. Not sure if its feasible this year but possible on a warm and non windy day this coming April where there is still ice (like upper/lower kan). We have a heater and shack. I actually dont even mind if I dont get to fish or if its just a short trip, just want to get out :). Just would like to hear peoples experiences.

Just please remove child from car seat if you decide to drive out.

WhitefishLady
01-06-2017, 10:53 AM
Just please remove child from car seat if you decide to drive out.

Yes absolutely. I would rather not drive on the ice at all but thanks for mentioning

Ranger CS
01-06-2017, 11:05 AM
Something to keep in mind is that small children participating in winter outdoor activities need to stay moving in order to stay warm and keep their blood circulating adequately. Years ago I took one of my young sons deer hunting carrying him in a backpack. He was dressed for the cold however I failed to take into account I was walking and he was basically immobile. I checked him frequently and after a short while realized he was becoming hypothermic. He was a tough little guy and never said word about being cold. I immediately turned around and headed back to my truck and by the time I got there he was plenty cold but still not telling me so.

Phoenix9898
01-06-2017, 11:17 AM
I took my daughter fishing when she was only a few months old and my son was about 3. Hardest thing is keeping the 3 year old entertained. I brought a small shovel for him and he was happy digging in the snow! Hot chocolate and snacks and you are set!

jkbloom
01-06-2017, 11:56 AM
I have taken all 3 of my kids fishing when they were little, as mentioned above they get bored quick, I used to set out a minnow trap the night before and catch some minnows, keep them alive in a bucket and let the kids play with and watch the minnows, seemed to keep them entertained

TylerThomson
01-06-2017, 04:14 PM
We take our 2 all the time since they were infants. And just a tip you are supposed to unbuckle the seat but leave them strapped to it as they are designed to float face up. Once they are eating solids what worked for us was bringing a blanket or mat to keep them off the ice and either a warm shack or a fire and lots of snacks.

Congrats. Have fun

WhitefishLady
01-06-2017, 05:09 PM
Thanks everyone for your replies! Some great tips and things to think about.

Dewey Cox
01-06-2017, 07:08 PM
They never take a turn drilling holes.

WhitefishLady
01-06-2017, 07:11 PM
They never take a turn drilling holes.

Haha! Actually dropping the baby down an ice hole is something Im kinda
of nervous about!

Dewey Cox
01-06-2017, 07:42 PM
They float.

schmedlap
01-06-2017, 07:45 PM
I ever took a very little one ice fishing was my oldest son at about 3. Of course, he had kind of a short attention span on the actual fishing. But at the time I was using an old truck and camper, and made sure the camper was kept heated with its furnace, and he retreated therein to nap or play with some toys and games. His excitement at the actual catching of a few small fish was amazing - a much better reward for me than the event. His account of the events of the day to my ex-wife was epic.

I think it is just fine, so long as you are realistically prepared - especially with a warm and dry environment to utilize.

I would love to see a "thumbs up" picture of a "baby" with the large fish that he/she just wrestled out of the hole (?).

Zanzibar
01-06-2017, 09:55 PM
It used to scare me when my son was walking around on the ice when there were a few 10" holes around, I went back to an 8" hole until he got a little bigger.

Weedy1
01-06-2017, 09:58 PM
They float.

It really sucks when they drop down the hole though and don't come back up. Then you have to get your arms wet trying to find them under the ice. Best to have a power auger just in case. At least that's what my Dad told me.:)

Erik
01-06-2017, 10:56 PM
I've taken all of my daughters fishing. Two of them fell in a hole and got soaked and it has probably ruined ice fishing for them at least for now. I might still convince the baby.

Rovin
01-07-2017, 12:03 AM
And this

http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/showthread.php?t=311650

bunnyhunter
01-07-2017, 12:11 AM
Thanks everyone for your replies! Some great tips and things to think about.

Until they can walk and play around with snow, and its less than -5, dont do it. I took my son first time when he was 18 months, and he caught a 7 pound pike on a Dora explorer rod with a bobber and smelt! it was +1 and March. but I gave him a bobber and smelt on a hook for fun. I thought he was trying to push the kiddie rod down the hole and I scolded him only to find he had a FISH ON! we had pike fingers for dinner- when we brought it up he said// " it has BIG EYES, SHARP TEETH and ITS MOVING!" he was thrilled and loves fishing to this day. all the ice trips-warm weather, hot chocolate, shovels, and picnics and always go home when they get cold. make it FUN always-even if its bringing hot cocoa and timbits and forget about catching anything.

mayuan
01-07-2017, 12:43 AM
The answer is NO, do not take a baby/very small children ice fishing. I started bringing my children at the age of about 4 ice fishing, but at that age you are still dealing with a moderate risk.

1) Babies are not as adaptable as adults to temperature change. A baby's body surface is about three times greater than an adult's, compared to the weight of his/her body. Babies can lose heat rapidly, as much as four times more quickly than adults.

2) Children under the age of 5 are very susceptible( 5 times more) to carbon monoxide poisoning. The heater poses a high enough risk to offset any benefits from heating.

3) Exposure to water in freezing temperatures can lead to hypothermia very quickly in small children.